The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would that make Djokovic the first to win all slams (in one season) since Laver?  Considering how much depth there is in tennis, that’s kind of remarkable.  

He’s one win away from:

• His 21st Grand Slam title, a men’s record (breaking the three-way tie with Federer and Nadal)
  • Winning the calendar Grand Slam, becoming the first man to do so since Rod Laver in 1969
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Congrats, Medvedev. He won even without the support of (most of) the crowd.

Yes, that's something that Djokovic has had to deal with his entire career.  It was very rude from the crowd to be cheering for service faults and making noise during Medvedev's serves.  

Kind of fascinating to see two US Open villains playing against each other in the final. In case people forgot, this was 2019...  

Meddy deserves his first Grand Slam, he absolutely dominated everyone.  The only guy that I thought played better throughout was Zverev.  I think those two are going to dominate tennis for the next 5-6 years. 

Berretini can catch up to them if he works on his stamina.  

Tsitsipas is the wild card as well.  

Felix showed very well until the semi final.  Most players need to get into their mid twenties to put it all together.  It's foolish to look at Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and judge all the new young players according to their standard where the big 3 started dominating the moment they turned 20-21 (actually even younger in Nadal's case). 

Young Spaniard that lost to Felix is also another one to keep an eye on.  His forehand is just amazing. 

On 9/12/2021 at 4:37 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Meddy deserves his first Grand Slam, he absolutely dominated everyone.  The only guy that I thought played better throughout was Zverev.  I think those two are going to dominate tennis for the next 5-6 years. 

Berretini can catch up to them if he works on his stamina.  

Tsitsipas is the wild card as well.  

Felix showed very well until the semi final.  Most players need to get into their mid twenties to put it all together.  It's foolish to look at Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and judge all the new young players according to their standard where the big 3 started dominating the moment they turned 20-21 (actually even younger in Nadal's case). 

Young Spaniard that lost to Felix is also another one to keep an eye on.  His forehand is just amazing. 

Even for Djokovic he really only ramped up his game in 2011.  He was an elite player who did win the AO as a 20-year old, but he really started to hit his stride when he got a bit older.  The weird thing with him is that he's legitimately improved parts of his game this late in his career, particularly his serve.  At this point it really seems like he has no weaknesses.  Maybe that he's a slow starter?

• 3 weeks later...

Due to this new found success by Canadian players, I'm walking into public courts that are always full.  :mad: 

Laylah, Felix, Bianca, Denis and Milos:  spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"He's being held prisoner"

"He's in a hotel for immigrants full of fleas and horrible food "

"He can't sleep"

He's been prisoner for 24 hrs.

He's being crucified 

These are words from Djokovic mom and dad.. 

Lol

What world do these people live in.? 

Used to be my favorite tennis player a few years ago.. 

What a clown show of a family..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:39 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

It was Tennis Australia,then our state government that gave him a medical exemption to play in the Aus open.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/05/appalling-message-outrage-over-novak-djokovics-medical-exemption-to-play-australian-open

It was our federal government acting through the border force that detained him at the airport. 

You must be vaccinated to enter this country or have a valid reason to receive a medical exemption.

Novak's lawyers are challenging this in court with the case to be heard on Monday.

There has been a lot of anger in the community that Novak was given the exemption in the first place given his actions in the last 2 years.

To be fair there has been some support for Novak mostly from Australians of Serbian descent.

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

"He's being held prisoner"

"He's in a hotel for immigrants full of fleas and horrible food "

"He can't sleep"

He's been prisoner for 24 hrs.

He's being crucified 

These are words from Djokovic mom and dad.. 

Lol

What world do these people live in.? 

Used to be my favorite tennis player a few years ago.. 

What a clown show of a family..

What pisses many Aussies off is the reaction of the Serbian President as well as his dad.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/06/serbian-president-decries-djokovic-harassment-amid-reaction-to-visa-cancellation

Spartacus ! 

I cannot find a link that is not behind a paywall however it seems the @#$$ up is Tennis Australia's fault.

It was that organisation that wrongfully informed players they could compete in the tournament without being vaccinated.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1