The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

I watched ... he was just outmatched.  Completely. Djokovic was a beast and on top of his game (4 unforced errors).  It's actually a good indicator to Milos of how hard he'll have to work to reach that level.  I think he can and this is but a stepping stone.  I liked how he was addressed post match...it was an encouraging speech and I think it spoke to the fact that he's a work in progress and can set the bar at this level.  And will be there one day....just not quite yet.

• Upvote 1

Indian Wells CEO Raymond Moore said women players ride the coattails of the men in comments before Serena Williams met Victoria Azarenka in the finals of the BNP Paribas Open on Sunday. He apologized later, but not before Williams had a chance to react.

"I think the WTA [Women's Tennis Association] ... You know, in my next life, when I come back, I want to be someone in the WTA because they ride on the coattails of the men," Moore said, according to multiple reports. "They don't make any decisions, and they are lucky. They are very, very lucky. If I was a lady player, I'd go down every night on my knees and thank God that Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal were born because they have carried this sport. They really have."

Moore, 69, is a former professional player from South Africa who took over as CEO of Indian Wells Tennis Garden in 2012, after being associated with the event for decades.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/15026527/indian-wells-ceo-says-wta-rides-men-coattails

Smooth.

There has always been intense sexism in tennis and it's clearly not going to go away any time soon.  I mean, just look.  Williams is alone on this.  Nadal and Roger haven't said much.  Djokovic sounded like Moore the other day.  None of the women or WTA officials are being particularly... vocal about this issue.  Come on... why are they all letting some old fart make a mockery of their sport...?

That is not to say that women's tennis is fun to watch.  It has become extremely one-dimensional.  Serve and volley is completely nonexistent.  One hand backhand completely nonexistent.  Zero variety just makes for unexciting tennis.  Men's tennis has a slightly different issue of not having a superstar younger than a 28-year old Djokovic, and that has started to bore a lot of people too.  The future seems bleak for both sides.

• 3 weeks later...

Eugenie had a great second set but had to retire in the third set. I think that is the smart move. I think it's the same injury she had in 2015. It's too bad, but no need to risk making the injury worse and ruin your year like in 2015. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

While waiting for his opponent to receive treatment for an injury, a restless Stan Wawrinka asks a ball boy if he wants to warm up with him. : http://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/must-see-wawrinka-warms-up-with-ball-boy~879713

Pretty cool thing to do. The kid will have this story to tell for the rest of his life.

I like Stan...seems like a real nice guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just once I would like to see these cheaters accept their punishment and own up instead of running to appeal......what a joke....

Maria Sharapova appealed her two-year ban for doping, imposed by the International Tennis Federation, on Tuesday.

According to an AP report, Sharapova filed an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the highest court in the sports world, with the hopes of overturning or reducing her suspension.

"Maria looks forward to CAS hearing her appeal and hopes she'll be able to play again," said Sharapova's lawyer, John Haggerty. "The ITF tribunal concluded she had no intent to do anything wrong and she thinks a two-year suspension is unfairly harsh."

mariasharapova061416.jpg Maria Sharapova officially appealed her two-year suspension. USATSI

Both sides agreed to an "expedited procedure," which will allow the court to produce a ruling by July 18. If Sharapova's suspension is lifted, she would be eligible for the 2016 Rio Olympics, which begin Aug. 5.

Sharapova was suspended for two years last Wednesday after providing a urine sample that tested positive for meldonium, a banned metabolic modulator, at the Australian Open in January.

Despite the suspension, sponsors like Nike have decided to stick with the five-time major winner, who was the 10th woman to complete the career Grand Slam.

As it currently stands, the 29-year-old Sharapova's ban is due to end on Jan. 25, 2018, which would keep her out of eight Grand Slam tournaments, along with the Olympics.

Go Milos.  And he has John McEnroe on board with him.

Canadian Milos Raonic advanced to the final of the Queen's Club on Saturday where he'll face four-time champion Andy Murray.

Raonic, from Thornhill, Ont., defeated unseeded Bernard Tomic of Australia 6-4, 6-4 in the semifinal, while Murray beat fifth-seeded Marin Cilic of Croatia 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 to reach Sunday's final.

Raonic was never under serious threat from Tomic, with games going easily with serve until Raonic took a 5-4 lead with his fourth break point.

After serving out the first set, Raonic failed to convert a break point as the second set got underway, but then broke for 2-1 when Tomic double-faulted.

Tomic had one opportunity to get back into contention when he held a break point for 4-4 but Raonic held off the challenge and went on to reach his third final of the year.

Murray chasing record win

Murray is one win away from becoming the first five-time champion at Queen's Club after defeating fifth-seeded Marin Cilic of Croatia 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 to reach the final.

Other four-time winners since the tournament was established in 1890 include John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick.

"It would mean a lot," Murray said Saturday. "A lot of great players have played here over the years, and winning any tournament a few times is hard obviously. This one in particular has always got a very strong field."

Almost from the start Murray berated himself and disputed several line calls but he was able to gain the upper hand against Cilic.

Watched by his coach Ivan Lendl, a two-time champion at Queen's Club, Murray forced a forehand error to break for 2-1, fought off four break points in the next game and broke at love to take the opening set.

Murray had to hold off a break point before holding for 2-1 in the second set but Cilic finally earned a break to lead 4-3. Murray's frustration mounted as he failed to convert three break points in the next game and Cilic went on to level the match.

Murray finally managed to take control against the 2012 champion in the decider, sweeping to a 3-0 lead for the loss of just two points.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Go Milos.  And he has John McEnroe on board with him.

Well Deb...it started pretty good then Milos crashed and burned as he usually does with top rated players...this guy really needs to beat a top ranked player..until he does he is the proverbial runnerup.

• Upvote 1

Aw damn, I missed it.   Maybe a good thing (was making chow mein).

And yep....until you have beat some of "the best", you've still got work to do because it's a special group that crosses that threshold.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Aw damn, I missed it.   Maybe a good thing (was making chow mein).

And yep....until you have beat some of "the best", you've still got work to do because it's a special group that crosses that threshold.

After Milos went up 3-0 in the 2nd Murray woke up and went into sublime mode. I think Lendl must have given him the hard stare. :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Milos through to the 4th round after a straight sets win over Jack Sock. (Vasek Posposil's doubles partner)

In other news, Joker lost to Sam Querrey, leaving Milos' side of the draw wide open.

Not so good for Genie Bouchard..lost today and threw a hissy fit that cost her.....

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/tennis/stu-cowan-wheels-fall-off-for-eugenie-bouchard-at-wimbledon