The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Canadian tennis is so good right now.

Felix just took his match...came through in the 5th set with authority.

Fernandez beat Osaka.  

Shap.  Bianca.  We're rolling.

BM beat me too it but Golden age for Canadian Tennis.

I missed the match but caught the highlights & a few of those drop shots Fernandez hit were beautiful. Two huge wins w/ FAA aswell.

Watching Bianca a few years ago was the reason I became a Tennis fan, & now we have a number of amazing young players making their mark. Its an awesome sport.

Excited for tommorrow, keep it rollin' Canada.

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Isn't it great!!!?

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

BM beat me too it but Golden age for Canadian Tennis.

I missed the match but caught the highlights & a few of those drop shots Fernandez hit were beautiful. Two huge wins w/ FAA aswell.

Watching Bianca a few years ago was the reason I became a Tennis fan, & now we have a number of amazing young players making their mark. Its an awesome sport.

Excited for tommorrow, keep it rollin' Canada.

Raonic paved the way and made us believe. 

These guys have a higher ceiling than Raonic.

A lower floor though, which is why shapo can't seem to rise higher than 10 (fails to take advantage of his seeding) and FAA has lost all 8 finals in his career. Consistency and winning even on their bad days will give them more opportunities to break through on their good days

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2021 at 10:11 PM, Ilunga said:

I will always admire rocket Rod and Roger and Rafa more than Novak.

There's a reason people cheer more for his opponent's.

Main reason is that Novak is from Eastern Europe.  That's what it all really boils down to.  Plus Roger and Rafa were the new superstars of that era and everyone wanted to see them playing in the finals.  Novak ruined that by coming in and knocking them out.  

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Main reason is that Novak is from Eastern Europe.  That's what it all really boils down to.  Plus Roger and Rafa were the new superstars of that era and everyone wanted to see them playing in the finals.  Novak ruined that by coming in and knocking them out.  

Maybe its the fact that he and his mother flaunt their ridiculous religiuos beliefs as well.

Tearing of his shirt to expose his cross ?

Don't see Rafa or Roger indulging in those sort of actions.

His mum stating God wanted him to win that final when he saved a few match points ?

Personally I believe we are all human beings,I don't care what part of the planet one is from however religion has no place in sport.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Maybe its the fact that he and his mother flaunt their ridiculous religiuos beliefs as well.

His mum stating God wanted him to win that final when he saved a few match points ?

Personally I believe we are all human beings,I don't care what part of the planet one is from however religion has no place in sport.

Neither does politics or medicine.  

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Neither does politics or medicine.  

Right there with you on medicine,drug dope  cheats should be expelled from the sports they participate  in.

Politics is somewhat different.

One example is trump trying to shame the US women's soccer team.

Megan in particular  has the right to defend her life choices,she is not saying being lgbtti person makes her a better soccer player or is she using her sporting ability to promote her beliefs.

Another is Sam Kerr,not only has she had to endure trolls abusing her for her life choices she is now copping flack for her team proudly standing behind our first nations peoples flag.

They have stood many times in front of the Aussie flag why not first nations both could be construed as political statements. 

As far as I am concerned these issues are human rights issues,one in particular many of the followers of Novak and his mother's religion condemn.

3 minutes ago, blaise said:

Shappo eliminated,did not play well,but gave it it's best I'm sure. Oh well

Go Felix,Bianca and young Fernandez next week.

He couldn't hit through Harris today and it frustrated the hell out of him. 3 Canadians into round 4 is still pretty good, though.

9 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

He couldn't hit through Harris today and it frustrated the hell out of him. 3 Canadians into round 4 is still pretty good, though.

Ya,when's the last time we had three Canadians in the sweet sixteen at a major in tennis.

Fills the void in sports nicely at this time of year..GO CANADA

Edited by blaise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Wow, I didn't realize you dislike him that much lol 

Djokovic has been getting booed by trashy tennis fans for a long time. It's understood that interrupting tennis players with jeers is taboo but for some reason it happens all the time for Novak.  It makes his wins in the UK and USA even more impressive.

I've actually never seen him tearing his shirt, you sure you're not thinking of Hulk Hogan? :lol:

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

As far as I am concerned these issues are human rights issues,one in particular many of the followers of Novak and his mother's religion condemn.

Sorry but that's ignorant as F. 

34 minutes ago, blaise said:

Ya,when's the last time we had three Canadians in the sweet sixteen at a major in tennis.

Fills the void in sports nicely at this time of year..GO CANADA

Last year's US Open, incidentally. Denis, Felix, and Vasek all made it to round 4 but only Denis made it to the quarters.

There's a lot I have to say about Denis' current playstyle, but the biggest thing I'd like to see from him is more patience and variety. He relies heavily on going for winners with very little margin for error and it leads to lots of hot and cold stretches in his form. Today he looked especially frustrated the whole match because things weren't clicking for him.

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Wow, I didn't realize you dislike him that much lol 

Djokovic has been getting booed by trashy tennis fans for a long time. It's understood that interrupting tennis players with jeers is taboo but for some reason it happens all the time for Novak.  It makes his wins in the UK and USA even more impressive.

I've actually never seen him tearing his shirt, you sure you're not thinking of Hulk Hogan? :lol:

I neither like or dislike like him.

I despise his religion.

Still would not boo him though.

I can't post photos however there are plenty out there of him tearing his shirt off.

Just now, Brad Marchand said:

Last year's US Open, incidentally. Denis, Felix, and Vasek all made it to round 4 but only Denis made it to the quarters.

There's a lot I have to say about Denis' current playstyle, but the biggest thing I'd like to see from him is more patience and variety. He relies heavily on going for winners with very little margin for error and it leads to lots of hot and cold stretches in his form. Today he looked especially frustrated the whole match because things weren't clicking for him.

Denis will start peaking in a year or two when he gets his mind right.  

Tennis is definitely mind over anything else.

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

I neither like or dislike like him.

I despise his religion.

Having seen many of his matches, he has never mentioned his religion before or after a match. 

You need to reevaluate your morals. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Having seen many of his matches, he has never mentioned his religion before or after a match. 

You need to reevaluate your morals. 

My morals are fine thanks.

Far better than the religious nutjobs that persecute those that don't follow their ridiculous beliefs. 

https://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2016-03-23/22345.php

https://sportsfinding.com/djokovics-mother-about-the-wimbledon-final-i-think-he-is-gods-chosen-one/33541/

" I think he is God's chosen one".

And he comes from a country where same s X marriage is illegal and same sex couples adopting is illegal to.

However give Novak his due respect 

https://www.outsports.com/2018/11/26/18112053/novak-djokovic-gay-tennis-player

Edited by Ilunga