The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Imo Vancouver have big potential in the MLS if they ever get that waterfront stadium with 25-30k capacity.

BC is a soccer hot-bed right now, and considering how multicultural Vancouver is there are a lot of football fans, and those fans most likely cant see their team live since they support ManU, Real Madrid ect So I think many people would take on the whitecaps as their second team. There is a large potential fanbase.

Just need a proper soccer-specific stadium and we will be taken a lot more seriously. and over time Vancouver will become desirable to bigger name players

• Upvote 1

This is why you don't play for the nil-nil draw on the road. 1 goal by the opposition and you're in full panic mode. They've been playing desperately, but not in a constructive sense. Portland has just parked the bus, and it feels like there's going to need to be Dallas/Seattle type miracle stuff to keep this going.

Ugh.

With the way the Caps were playing to wind down the season, this is not to surprising of a result. If this is the game they would have brought to the conference finals, Dallas would have wiped the floor with them.

• Upvote 1

Classic Whitecaps let the ref get in their heads. Every single time they had the ball in the second half should have been giving the ref decisions to make in the 18. Instead we come away with one penalty shout the entire half which was of course ignored. 

It's been obvious for months now that this team is missing a true pure scorer up front but they chose to stay put at the transfer window. Rivero is not the guy. He didn't even get a shot tonight did he? Just not good enough for a DP.

Morales, even if healthy is not fast enough or hard enough on the ball to make a difference at this time of year.

Koffie continued to do what he does...which is pretty much nothing.

And when the substitute for your one real threat (Manneh) is Mattocks, the one guy who can take a glorious opportunity and turn it into a yard sale, you knew the game was pretty well done right there.

Let's hope management goes out and spends some real money to get a legit scorer and some additional veteran leadership up front.

Good season. It was fun to watch soccer again. Some games they seemed invincible.

I also dreaded that nil/nil draw. I did not agree that it is an advantage.  IMO the pressure on the home side, especially a younger team, to defend a clean sheet above all, gives advantage to the visiting team. Because their goals are more valuable than our goals.  And there would be a habit, as in this game, of nervously playing not to lose instead of just playing the game.

Manneh going down was the nail in the coffin. Robinson looked like he must have based his whole offensive playbook around the guy. The whole team suddenly just got discombobulated.

The other Robinson mistake was starting Morales. Or then not substituting him out. I know it would have been awkward but he was fumbling around and missing assignments all night. And of course was the goat on the second goal. Just wasn't up to game shape yet.

Rivero must go

Edited by kilgore

&^@#ing turf..... 

I do not understand how professional teams are allowed to use this garbage

Totally agree. It's not the same sport on turf. Call me naive, but I really hope down the road we either get a soccer specific stadium or they find a way to grow and maintain grass at BC Place.

Ever since that game we beat L.A. handily, I've been waiting for a likewise performance. Most games afterwards hadn't been. Very disappointing ending to a great season. Morales didn't look completely ready yet and his play/physicality seemed rather soft at times. Lots of bad passing/running into each other. So much lobbing the ball over hoping someone could get onto it. Defense didn't look like its normal self since the beginning. They didn't play like it was an elimination game and I think that's what disappoints me the most.