Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

13 hours ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Just based on the highlights:

Aird looked horrible.

Rivero can piss off.

Morales is alive at least.

At least Rivero's shots were closer to the mark this game than they were last season when he would stumble and fumble when he had a clear shot, which frustrated Caps fans everywhere, including me.

That shot that hit the crossbar would have been a sensational goal had the ball been six inches lower.

And he made a nice header that needed a good save by the Montreal goalie.

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he might start coming through with some goals this season.  I reserve the right to change my opinion.

On 3/7/2016 at 0:33 PM, UnkNuk said:

At least Rivero's shots were closer to the mark this game than they were last season when he would stumble and fumble when he had a clear shot, which frustrated Caps fans everywhere, including me.

That shot that hit the crossbar would have been a sensational goal had the ball been six inches lower.

And he made a nice header that needed a good save by the Montreal goalie.

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he might start coming through with some goals this season.  I reserve the right to change my opinion.

I thought that save was pretty spectacular, actually. First time in a long time I've seen ousted outplayed by his counterpart.

I don't know what Robbo is doing with his formations. Just no flow to the offence at all. 

The back line has been bad, the midfield even worse, and the attack non-existant.

For all the talk, it's still about Rivero waiting for 25 yard passes into the box with zero support. 

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

May just be a rumour but there's a report on the MLS website that Mattocks has been traded to Portland.  No word on who would be coming to the Caps.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/12/report-portland-land-forward-darren-mattocks-trade-vancouver

Looks like it's a done deal...for allocation money.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

WHY DID WE TRADE BEITASHOUR AND KOFFIE

No clue. Looked bad then, looks worse now. The Koffie one looks worse for now, without Teibert their to simply slot in for him at the moment. But it still sucks.

5 hours ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Pedro is our entire team

At least Rivero didn't miss any sitters today!

Smith should never play for us again

WHY DID WE TRADE BEITASHOUR AND KOFFIE

Because this team just never hits the next level...you think they are going in a positive direction and then they do this and think its progress and they are worse than before...I dont get it.

No need to panic just yet.  I see Montreal beat the Red Bulls 3-0 on Sunday.  The Impact might be a very good team - the home opener loss to them might be explainable.  Kansas is a good team - especially at home.  

Looking ahead, the Caps play the Sounders next week in Seattle.  Never an easy match to win.

Then they play Houston, who have scored eight goals in their first two games, drawing one and winning one.

And then the Caps play the Galaxy at home.

It's a bitch of an opening schedule.  Conceivably, the Caps could be 0-5 to start the season and yet each loss would be understandable and they still could prove to be a good team.

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

No need to panic just yet.  I see Montreal beat the Red Bulls 3-0 on Sunday.  The Impact might be a very good team - the home opener loss to them might be explainable.  Kansas is a good team - especially at home.  

Looking ahead, the Caps play the Sounders next week in Seattle.  Never an easy match to win.

Then they play Houston, who have scored eight goals in their first two games, drawing one and winning one.

And then the Caps play the Galaxy at home.

It's a bitch of an opening schedule.  Conceivably, the Caps could be 0-5 to start the season and yet each loss would be understandable and they still could prove to be a good team.

Maybe their strong defensive game returns, but issues at that right back spot will kill them all year.

Worse, their biggest weakness from last season,  scoring down the stretch when it mattered, looks to be an issue again this season. 

This team is run on the cheap, and until they lay some serious coin down on a quality striker instead of experimenting with non-proven options, this will continue to be an issue. 

Midfield is another problem area, although the return of Bolaños may help there.

And don't even get me started on Robbo's formation choices. 

I read a lot of criticism of Rivero. Fair enough. A striker needs to score goals at the end of the day. But the fact is, he does many things right considering how isolated he is up front.

One player that frustrates me most is Manneh. So much speed is mostly wasted by poor decision making that's only gotten marginally better over last two seasons. How many times does he dribble the ball straight into the opposition? He's not a good passer either.

Anyway, it's only two games in. We have few new players. Hopefully Robbo finds the right combination and we start to see some chemistry soon.

Also didn't like what I was seeing from the team in terms of reactions to non-calls. It seemed like every time a Cap went down, the hands would go in the air or a teammate would be chasing down the ref. I thought we'd gotten rid of the BS last season but it appears to be back in full force.

On 11/03/2016 at 2:08 PM, UnkNuk said:

May just be a rumour but there's a report on the MLS website that Mattocks has been traded to Portland.  No word on who would be coming to the Caps.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/12/report-portland-land-forward-darren-mattocks-trade-vancouver

On 12/03/2016 at 0:38 AM, MJDDawg said:

Looks like it's a done deal...for allocation money.

Yep, it's on the Whitecaps website so it's offical:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/03/14/whitecaps-fc-trade-darren-mattocks-portland-timbers

Frustrating player.  Seemed to have talent and speed yet couldn't seem to put it all together.  

What are the odds he figures it out in Portland and scores 25 goals this year?

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Yep, it's on the Whitecaps website so it's offical:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/03/14/whitecaps-fc-trade-darren-mattocks-portland-timbers

Frustrating player.  Seemed to have talent and speed yet couldn't seem to put it all together.  

What are the odds he figures it out in Portland and scores 25 goals this year?

Playing for his college coach and where he had the most success, wouldn't surprise me if he does figure it out.

Meanwhile, Manneh has been starting to look like Mattocks. Lot's of dash, but can't finish and often lazy defensively.