The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Hope english teams realize they need to compete in Europe League this season.

England will never win a World Cup or a Euro unless they do two things. Put a salary cap in BPL. And limit the number of import players. They need to develop their own players. I get it, much like the NHL they want the best players. But they need to develop home grown talent, and try and get them to be the best in the world. Just my 2 cents.

what a weird season so far

You can say that again - I'd never have pegged us as being ahead of Spurs after 4 games, especially with us having played both Chelsea and Man City B)

England will never win a World Cup or a Euro unless they do two things. Put a salary cap in BPL. And limit the number of import players. They need to develop their own players. I get it, much like the NHL they want the best players. But they need to develop home grown talent, and try and get them to be the best in the world. Just my 2 cents.

???

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted in regards to football, and TRR is a regular poster in this thread.

Can you please indicate to me what other world cup winners have salary caps on their local leagues?

• Upvote 1

???

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted in regards to football, and TRR is a regular poster in this thread.

Can you please indicate to me what other world cup winners have salary caps on their local leagues?

I have long maintained that Jimmy Hill is the reason modern football has gone to the dogs. His campaign to remove salary limitations decades ago is why a kid like Raheem Sterling, with zero achievements, can earn £150,000 per week.

I'm against salary limitations - I just wish more clubs would impose their own internal limits, then stick to them. Albion stuck at £40k a week for years, until Lescott signed. Now Evans is past that too.

???

Relax mr chelsea and South American quality football

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32024808

FA's Greg Dyke announces plans to restrict non-EU players

FA chairman Greg Dyke has warned Premier League football is in danger of "having nothing to do with English people" as new proposals to limit the number of non-EU players are outlined by English football's governing body.

The FA has also revealed plans to toughen the rules on home-grown talent in the latest proposals from its commission, which was set up in 2013 to improve the England team.

The commission has also proposed changes to work permit rules having highlighted flaws in the system.

The stricter work-permit rules, approved by the Home Office on Friday, will come into force from 1 May.

Under the proposals outlined by the FA on Monday:

• A player will have to have been registered with his club from the age of 15 - down from 18 - to qualify as 'home-grown'.
  • The minimum number of home-grown players in a club's first-team squad of 25 will increase from eight to 12, phased over four years from 2016.
  • At least two home-grown players must also be 'club-trained' players - defined as any player, irrespective of nationality, that has been registered for three years at their club from the age of 15.
  • Only the best non-EU foreign players will be granted permission to play in England.
Dyke on spotting the next Harry Kane

Speaking to the BBC's sports editor Dan Roan, Dyke explained the rationale behind the FA's new proposals by highlighting the impact of Harry Kane.

The Tottenham striker, 21, only made his first Premier League start for Spurs in April 2014, and is this season's top scorer with 19 goals.

"We have to do this by negotiation with the different leagues and with the clubs - we have to convince them that this makes sense for English football," said Dyke.

"And we are helped by Harry Kane in truth - we are helped by seeing a young kid come into the Spurs team and become the top scorer in English football.

"How many other Harry Kanes are around in the youth teams of Premier League clubs? It was almost by chance that Tim Sherwood became manager at Tottenham for a time and put him in the side - otherwise he would still be out on loan at Millwall or somewhere else."

'An awful lot of bog-standard foreign players'

"If you apply the system we are just introducing over the last five years, a third of non-EU overseas players that have come here wouldn't get in," Dyke added.

"We don't want to stop the outstanding talent coming here, but there are an awful lot of bog-standard players as well.

"If we could get all this through, over the next three, four or five years, you could see the numbers of home-grown players going up from a percentage in the high 20s to 40%. It matters that this happens across the whole of English football, but it particularly matters to the top end of the Premier League.

"The future England team by and large play for the top six sides. If you look in Germany, or Spain, it's always the same. And amongst the top six sides the decline in English players is quite marked.

"If you look at who is playing in the Champions League, the English numbers compared to the Germans, the Spanish or the Brazilians, are pathetic."

I think its just that English players are no where near the same quality of any of the other top countries, and that starts at the grassroots level. It also doesnt help when, for example, Uniteds U-21 team has a month off between games.

I dunno.. in 2006, England was fielding a squad with Rooney, Beckham, Gerard, Terry, Lampard, A. Cole, Rio Ferdinand, G Neville, Carrick, Michael Owen...

on paper, that is a very solid team. probably should have been just as strong as any other. but it NEVER seemed like managers could figure out how to partner Lampard with Gerrard - the midfield was NEVER as strong as it should have been. Very strange.

England won't be winning anything any time soon, I don't think, but the team will be more exciting going forward, I think. I'm hoping for a serious youth movement.