The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

I was at the Scotland game last night. The atmosphere was unbelievable. I only really come out of my shell at the football but when I completely lose my voice you know it must have been good. Going to the England game on Tuesday as well. Can't wait.

On a sad note a young guy (22) fell down three flights of stairs leaving the stadium and passed away. Pretty tragic.

i remember the hype for that kid was huge back when he was very young, and I remember being surprised when he went to Atletico instead of one of the bigger clubs... but how can you say he was better in Madrid than he is at City? I don't watch either club, mind you, but his goal scoring record in England is far more impressive than it was in Spain. He's almost scored the same amount of goals in about half the games.

as someone who admittedly couldn't care less about Atletico or City, what do you think he's missing now that he had in Spain?

are you saying that he's just scoring the goals because his support is better, so he doesn't have to work as hard, or something?

I think he used to do a lot of things he doesn't need to do anymore and that was the best part of his game. We had Forlán for scoring goals, Kun was more a helper and some kind of Messi.

He has become a 9, that with the great teammates he has behind him now help him to score more goals. But I don't think he has the same impact on every game than he used to. It's just my opinion and Im not saying he's not great, but I expected him to be even greater.

What happened?

Besides the Croatia / Albania drone issue...

In the second half of the Italy / Croatia match (played in Italy) the Croatian section of the crowd started rioting in the stands and throwing flares and debris and sht all over the pitch.

The match was ever so nearly abandoned. They stopped the match so the riot police could clear that section of fans, clear the pitch of crap, and let the smoke clear. Then once the game continued even more crap suddenly rained down from the stands so the game was initially postponed with the likelihood of abandonment pending until UEFA officials pushed for an attempt to finish the match. The Italian team was reluctant at first to come back on the pitch but then obliged the Croatian players who refused to leave the pitch even when told to do so.

The dumbest part is that Croatia had tied the game 1-1 and had momentum way on their side. Those stoppages not only cost Croatia momentum, when the pitch leaned way Italy side for the rest of the match, but Croatia could (and most definitely deserve to) face wide ranging sanctions too.

Unfortunately asking "fans" of these Balkan nations to act like something other than animals is asking too much.

Edited by Mr. Ambien

Chelsea had some financial restrictions so i pretty sure they had to sell luid to get costa, fabegras, ect... Likewise in Barcelona they got the Liverpool shark and had to sell sanchez and fabegras

I not totally sure about these financial restrictions and how they work.

Mourinho still trying to replace David Luiz.

Dumb to sell him.

you're crazy. Luiz has been completely average for PSG by all accounts, and he was generally average--and occasionally awful--for Brazil in the WC. he's a kooky personality who will sell shirts, but he is by no means a 50 million dollar player. he is the highest paid defender in the world. THE HIGHEST PAID DEFENDER IN THE WORLD. that, to me, is hilarious. would have been dumb of Mourinho NOT to accept that 30 million profit for him.