The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Utd looked really good tonight. 

Martial, Mhiki and Lukaku were magnificent up front and tore CSKA to shreds, but also both De Gea, and Matic were having really good games.

Matic in particular has been a revelation at utd. Absolutely fantastic. He's added the stability needed on the defensive side of Utd's midfield, and we look a far more balanced team than we have for years. 

Mourinho doing his magic at Utd. 

• Upvote 1

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2017/09/press-release-bayern-and-ancelotti-part-company

Following an internal analysis in Munich on Thursday 28 September 2017, FC Bayern München have announced the club is to part company with head coach Carlo Ancelotti with immediate effect.

Assistant coach Willy Sagnol will take charge of the team on an interim basis.

Well, that went even quicker than I thought.

Curious about who they'll choose as a replacement. I think their prime target is Nagelsmann, but he probably won't be available until after the season and I doubt they want to wait out this season with Sagnol. Tuchel maybe?

6 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Damn Ancelotti is gone. Is is a excellent manager, whose record speaks for itself. I wouldn't mind him going back to Milan, or even La Nazionale

They fired Ancelotti?  Wow. I hope he goes to La Nazionale. That would be a great way to end his career. He's already coached all the biggest clubs. Then he can come retire in Vancouver with his Vancouver wife. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

USA fail to qualify for the World Cup. They can thank Bruce Arena for that. He always complained about Klinsmann's euro-centric nominations and line-ups (yeah, cause they've been doing so bad). But the US would have been even worse if it wasn't for Pulisic and Wood who play... wait for it... in Europe. The MLS just doesn't have the quality. 

2 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

USA fail to qualify for the World Cup. They can thank Bruce Arena for that. He always complained about Klinsmann's euro-centric nominations and line-ups (yeah, cause they've been doing so bad). But the US would have been even worse if it wasn't for Pulisic and Wood who play... wait for it... in Europe. The MLS just doesn't have the quality. 

I want to be happy about that, but it's hard, because the Netherlands have also failed to qualify...:(

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I want to be happy about that, but it's hard, because the Netherlands have also failed to qualify...:(

Yeah, the times of world class players in the Netherlands is over. The last one in Robben retired yesterday from international football. I grew up watching Bergkamp, Davids, Kluivert, van der Sar, Overmars, Sneijder, Cocu, the de Boers and so on. Not much left of the glory of yesteryear. But there's always a next "golden generation" :)

7 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

I read Yahoo Sports for everything.  Less than 24 hours ago they were gushing over the previous win and how this is a golden generation (with your precious golden boy from Dortmund).

I come home, back from the Canucks game and OH GOD WHAT DID I JUST MISS

I see that Johnson was not on the team these past weeks.  That is truly mind-boggling.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

6 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Yeah, the times of world class players in the Netherlands is over. The last one in Robben retired yesterday from international football. I grew up watching Bergkamp, Davids, Kluivert, van der Sar, Overmars, Sneijder, Cocu, the de Boers and so on. Not much left of the glory of yesteryear. But there's always a next "golden generation" :)

For me it was my first World Cup in '74....I saw Cruyff, Neeskens and co. play and have been a fan of Dutch football ever since. (Even though my heritage is basically English) There always seemed to be a "next one" coming along for Holland. I thought that might be Memphis, but now I'm not so sure....

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I read Yahoo Sports for everything.  Less than 24 hours ago they were gushing over the previous win and how this is a golden generation (with your precious golden boy from Dortmund).

I come home, back from the Canucks game and OH GOD WHAT DID I JUST MISS

I see that Johnson was not on the team these past weeks.  That is truly mind-boggling.

They do have quite a talented generation in the pipe. But that's just it. Klinsmann tried to take away the old guard and introduce the new generation around Pulisic, Brooks (Wolfsburg), McKennie (Schalke), maybe Hyndman, although I haven't seen much of him lately. These guys are all talented and have been in Europe for a couple of years at least and know how to play modern football. But they're young. They're going to make mistakes. And you'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt, otherwise they won't be able to get better.

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For me it was my first World Cup in '74....I saw Cruyff, Neeskens and co. play and have been a fan of Dutch football ever since. (Even though my heritage is basically English) There always seemed to be a "next one" coming along for Holland. I thought that might be Memphis, but now I'm not so sure....

Sometimes it just takes a bit longer. Germany had the downswing in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Somehow we always managed to qualify, but the results in the tournaments were disastrous with the only exception of WC 2002. But that was a lot of luck. I think we played Paraguay, the USA and South Korea in the knockout stages. But they turned the whole youth and coaching systems around and voilá... 14 years later we're world champion. 

12 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

They do have quite a talented generation in the pipe. But that's just it. Klinsmann tried to take away the old guard and introduce the new generation around Pulisic, Brooks (Wolfsburg), McKennie (Schalke), maybe Hyndman, although I haven't seen much of him lately. These guys are all talented and have been in Europe for a couple of years at least and know how to play modern football. But they're young. They're going to make mistakes. And you'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt, otherwise they won't be able to get better.

Sometimes it just takes a bit longer. Germany had the downswing in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Somehow we always managed to qualify, but the results in the tournaments were disastrous with the only exception of WC 2002. But that was a lot of luck. I think we played Paraguay, the USA and South Korea in the knockout stages. But they turned the whole youth and coaching systems around and voilá... 14 years later we're world champion. 

Sometimes I blame myself. I'm a Canuck fan, (as are most people on these boards) but I'm also a Buffalo Bills fan and have seen the Netherlands lose three World Cup finals. (and lose in the semis in another)

If it hadn't been for the Blue Jays' two World Series wins, I'd honestly believe that I'm cursed. I doubt that anyone has experienced as much championship final disappointment as I have...:wacko:

48 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sometimes I blame myself. I'm a Canuck fan, (as are most people on these boards) but I'm also a Buffalo Bills fan and have seen the Netherlands lose three World Cup finals. (and lose in the semis in another)

If it hadn't been for the Blue Jays' two World Series wins, I'd honestly believe that I'm cursed. I doubt that anyone has experienced as much championship final disappointment as I have...:wacko:

Would you consider becoming either a fan of Bayern or Schalke? Preferably Bayern, Schalke somehow manages to mess everything up without you. :P

I hope the Canucks can make it in a couple of years. :canucks:

9 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Would you consider becoming either a fan of Bayern or Schalke? Preferably Bayern, Schalke somehow manages to mess everything up without you. :P

I hope the Canucks can make it in a couple of years. :canucks:

Hasn't Robben managed to screw that up by himself?

Maybe he has to be wearing orange....:unsure:

On 10/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, Lateralus91 said:

Germany has always been the envy of European Football, when it comes to National sides.

They are experts in managing tournament football like no others. They always seem to start slow, and then they build up speed.

Spain has had their period of dominance and France looks like being the next in line, but the Germans are always there or there about.

Will always be indebted to Mou for the job that he did for us but games like today are the reason why I don't miss him at all. I remember waking up early on a Saturday morning pumped for a derby and the entire game was watching 10 men behind the ball despite having the weapons to really go at teams. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Will always be indebted to Mou for the job that he did for us but games like today are the reason why I don't miss him at all. I remember waking up early on a Saturday morning pumped for a derby and the entire game was watching 10 men behind the ball despite having the weapons to really go at teams. 

Yeah that was not even lukewarm to watch... 

Partially a Mourinho setup to not get beat, and then its the typical hangover from International break. Seen this too often.

Regardless it was a crap gane to watch... really poor...