The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 Way Trade Proposal - Luongo To Pitts. Staal / Fleury To Winnipeg. Byfuglien To Vancouver

To Pittsburgh

Roberto Luongo. No longer untradeable because of the rising salary cap and the fact a lot of his money is loaded upfront and hence has already been paid for by the Canucks. Fleury has simply melted down in these playoffs and Luongo would have to be viewed as a huge upgrade for them.

Winnipeg's first round Pick

$3.67 million in free cap room (Fleury 5.000, Staal4.000 - Luongo5.333) to spend on free agent. or another player via trade

To Winnipeg

Jordan Staal. The Jets could certainly use a center and a good Canadian boy like Staal would fit in nicely there as their top center and Staal looks like he is done in Pittsburgh. They simply can't afford to keep him after next year.

Marc-Andre Fleury - initially I suggested Fleury be bought out by Pittsburgh but appearently some people think he still has value. I don't see it but perhaps Winnipeg will welcome him.

To Vancouver

Dustin Byfuglien. I know, I know but he is probably what the Canucks need a little more of in terms of grit and someone who can help on the suddenly dormant PP. Can play on defense or power forward and of course was a force in the Blackhawks Stanley Cup run.

The funny thing is everyone burns this trade but for different reasons.

Some say Winnipeg is getting screwed, some say Pittsburgh is getting screwed and some say Vancouver is getting screwed.

If everyone thinks they are getting screwed it must be a fair trade.

To Pittsburgh

Roberto Luongo. No longer untradeable because of the rising salary cap and the fact a lot of his money is loaded upfront and hence has already been paid for by the Canucks. Fleury has simply melted down in these playoffs and Luongo would have to be viewed as a huge upgrade for them.

Winnipeg's first round Pick

$3.67 million in free cap room (Fleury 5.000, Staal4.000 - Luongo5.333) to spend on free agent. or another player via trade

To Winnipeg

Jordan Staal. The Jets could certainly use a center and a good Canadian boy like Staal would fit in nicely there as their top center and Staal looks like he is done in Pittsburgh. They simply can't afford to keep him after next year.

Marc-Andre Fleury - initially I suggested Fleury be bought out by Pittsburgh but appearently some people think he still has value. I don't see it but perhaps Winnipeg will welcome him.

To Vancouver

Dustin Byfuglien. I know, I know but he is probably what the Canucks need a little more of in terms of grit and someone who can help on the suddenly dormant PP. Can play on defense or power forward and of course was a force in the Blackhawks Stanley Cup run.

Didn't you make this exact same thread a few days ago?

So basicly it goes like this:

Van Loses: Roberto Luongo. Van gets: Dustin Byfuglien.

Pit Loses: M-A Fluery, and Jordan Staal. Pit gets: Win 1st Round pick, Roberto Luongo

Win Loses: Dustin Byfuglien, 1st Round Pick. Win gets: M-A Fluery and Jordan Staal.

Would you trade Staal and Fluery for a 1st Round pick and Luongo?

Winnipeg get's a great deal, but the Pens get Ripped and our is alright I guess, I'm not really sure what to say about ours.

You have to consider the cap ramifications for Pittsburgh. In pure talent they lose but Staal, Malkin and Crosby can't all be kept. Staal is due for a raise when he hits UFA after next year and the Penguins need to trade him now or lose him. They also get an immediate $3.67M in cap space. That can't be ignored as part of this trade because that money could be used on a Free Agent.

For instance, they could use the money to sign a guy like Olli Jokninen to a 2 year $7M contract. He temporarily fills the hole left by Staal and the Penguins also have a first round pick(10th overall) to get a young prospect back.

If Pittsburgh comes back and beats Philly they probably don't do the trade but if the Penguins lose the next game 6-5 (and honestly would you be surprised if they did?) then Fleury will be on the hot seat for the Penguins first round exit.

Why don't we leave out Pittsburgh and trade straight up with Winnipeg? They need a goalie, Luongo is used to a Canadian market, we could use a few of their defencemen.

I still don't like Byfuglien though, so how about:

Luongo and Ballard for Bogosian, Enstrom and maybe a pick or two to even it up.

The Canucks desperately need physical defencemen - enter Bogosian. We could also use a quick puck mover to replace Ballard - enter Enstrom, especially considering the fact that Salo may retire next season.

Edler - Enstrom

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Bogosian - Tanev/Salo

That's suddenly a star-studded defence. If we can't get both their big-guns on D, try for Ron Hainsey who has been a physical stalwart all long for that team and has a defence-high +9 in just 50-something games on an average +/- team.

This team's defence is getting exposed badly in the playoffs against the league's 2nd worst offence so we need to get some quality on the back-end. Sure Ballard is playing better now so maybe MG would rather trade Tanev or Gragnani instead, but either way we still need to replace the quality minutes Ehrhoff logged for us and this trade would do it.

You have to consider the cap ramifications for Pittsburgh. In pure talent they lose but Staal,

Malkin and Crosby can't all be kept. Staal is due for a raise when he hits UFA after next year and the Penguins need to trade him now or lose him.

They also get an immediate $3.67M in cap

space. That can't be ignored as part of this trade

because that money could be used on a Free

Agent.

For instance, they could use the money to sign

a guy like Olli Jokninen to a 2 year $7M

contract. He temporarily fills the hole left by

Staal and the Penguins also have a first round pick(10th overall) to get a young prospect back.

If Pittsburgh comes back and beats Philly they

probably don't do the trade but if the Penguins lose the next game 6-5 (and honestly would you

be surprised if they did?) then Fleury will be on the hot seat for the Penguins first round exit.

Why don't we leave out Pittsburgh and trade straight up with Winnipeg? They need a goalie, Luongo is used to a Canadian market, we could use a few of their defencemen.

I still don't like Byfuglien though, so how about:

Luongo and Ballard for Bogosian, Enstrom and maybe a pick or two to even it up.

The Canucks desperately need physical defencemen - enter Bogosian. We could also use a quick puck mover to replace Ballard - enter Enstrom, especially considering the fact that Salo may retire next season.

Edler - Enstrom

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Bogosian - Tanev/Salo

That's suddenly a star-studded defence. If we can't get both their big-guns on D, try for Ron Hainsey who has been a physical stalwart all long for that team and has a defence-high +9 in just 50-something games on an average +/- team.

This team's defence is getting exposed badly in the playoffs against the league's 2nd worst offence so we need to get some quality on the back-end. Sure Ballard is playing better now so maybe MG would rather trade Tanev or Gragnani instead, but either way we still need to replace the quality minutes Ehrhoff logged for us and this trade would do it.

Canucks fans should be informed that Bogosian, Wheeler, Kane and Buff are practically untouchable and Pavelec is a great goalie and starter. We don't need a goalie.

Would prefer the Jets trading for Staal without involving the Canucks at all.

Enstrom + 1st + Klingberg

Canucks fans should be informed that Bogosian, Wheeler, Kane and Buff are practically untouchable and Pavelec is a great goalie and starter. We don't need a goalie.

Would prefer the Jets trading for Staal without involving the Canucks at all.

Enstrom + 1st + Klingberg

Archived