The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hind Sight. Scoring Vs. Versatility ?

stanlee canuck 2011

Would you, if you could .........?

Keep Vancouvers ,, much more versatile, balanced team this year..and take the chance we get to next round?

or

Put C. Erhoff and Cody Hodgeson in sundays line up and the hell with Versatilaty....

I am curious to see ,who of you thinks we had a good thing and should have left well enough alone??

ty... nippertuzzi

The so-called "versatility" put us in a 1-3 hole this year. I would go with the scoring team, like the one last year, which brought us to game 7 SCF.

If AV wasn't so blind, Kesler should be moved to the wing, and Hodgson would be replacing him as 2nd line center to get some productivity going.

The so-called "versatility" put us in a 1-3 hole this year. I would go with the scoring team, like the one last year, which brought us to game 7 SCF.

If AV wasn't so blind, Kesler should be moved to the wing, and Hodgson would be replacing him as 2nd line center to get some productivity going.

The versatility has proven to work in the past, and it is debatable whether the third line with Hodgson would have even scored as much as our current third line thus far.

It is the top-6 that is not scoring the way they can/should so far and IMO it is mostly on them (partially excusable because of Daniel's absence) and some defensemen who haven't performed at their level so that doesn't come down to the trade and, partially from the trade we are allowing less goals this year.

I don't recall last year's bottom-6 scoring too much either so I don't think it's changed much, but is better defensively.

I would rather see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Hodgson - Raymond

Lapierre - Malhotra - Bitz

Edler - Ehrhoff

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Salo - Ballard

Than this:

Sedin - Sedin - Booth

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Pahlsson - Lapierre

Bitz - Malhotra - Raymond

Edler - Salo

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Tanev - Ballard

We can debate it to our faces are blue, but people who say that Hodgson was a sure bet for the playoffs and Kassian is a gamble are mistaken.

I'll give you Kassian, as a prospect has potential risk of not paying off. But at the same time Hodgson had not proven to be playoff effective yet either. So there was still the risk of him not producing in the playoffs. This is combined with the fact that he was a defensive liability. Meaning, in tight scoring series, he would be high risk, not ideal for the 3rd line.

On Buffalo, it was noted that in the final games, he made multiple bad decisions that led to goals against, costing the team.

Now Sami Pahlsson, his REAL replacement, is a proven NHL top shutdown centreman who has won it all before, and has shown consistency for our team even this early. He can put it in the net at times, but not often. But his real plus is he's great in our end, and great as a forechecker.

And I know the purpose of this post wasn't to discuss whether MG screwed up, but I have to point out anyways that we could not sign Erhoff for his asking price. It's sad but true. If we did we would have to have shed 1-2 of our players like Hansen, Lapierre, Higgins, or Edler.

Sure, we have seen the effects of his loss. But I wouldn't want to see our team without one of those 4 players.

Ehrhoff had a dismal SCFinal last year, Hodgson is a slow, small, not particularly gritty third line center who goes hot and cold - I like the chances better without them, and they aren't the kind of team guys the Canucks want to move forward with anyhow.

Poor choice of words; Booth, Higgins, Raymond all were more versatile, because they had the option of playing with Hodgson to get their scoring touch back instead of playing with Kesler?

:P

Would you, if you could .........?

Keep Vancouvers ,, much more versatile, balanced team this year..and take the chance we get to next round?

or

Put C. Erhoff and Cody Hodgeson in sundays line up and the hell with Versatilaty....

I am curious to see ,who of you thinks we had a good thing and should have left well enough alone??

ty... nippertuzzi

Hard not to like Burrows with the Twins.

But lets face it; Booth on the top line equalizes a lot of size match up problems and adds a guy who drives the net. Plus Burrows puts a decent passer on the 2knd line.

This is something we should be prepared to use more often?

Danny/Hank/Booth

Burrows/Kess/Higgins

I would rather see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Hodgson - Raymond

Lapierre - Malhotra - Bitz

Edler - Ehrhoff

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Salo - Ballard

Than this:

Sedin - Sedin - Booth

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Pahlsson - Lapierre

Bitz - Malhotra - Raymond

Edler - Salo

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Tanev - Ballard

Hard not to like Burrows with the Twins.

But lets face it; Booth on the top line equalizes a lot of size match up problems and adds a guy who drives the net. And Burrows puts a decent passer on the 2knd line.

This is something we should be prepared to use more often?

Danny/Hank/Booth

Burrows/Kess/Higgins

And if we could still take back THE trade? Even before the season I authored a Post suggesting;

Danny/Hank/Kesler > This would have been (and will still be) a smashing line!

Burrows/CoHo/Samuelsson

In todays world;

Danny/Hank/Kess Honestly, net presence, a bigger guy for match ups, speed > suddenly a two way line that get 20 extra goals!

Burrows/CoHo/Booth

Higgins/Pahlsson/Hansen

Malhotra/Lapierre/Bitz 3rd and 4th line both dynamite stopper lines to take defensive and neutral draws!

Seriously; whats missing with that line up?????????

Pahlsson replaced Malhotra not Hodgson. Why not Pahlsson/Manny/Bitz as a stopper 4th line? Boston beat us like that.

Prior to the deadline we were as high as 3rd in GAA in the league with Malhotra taking defensive match ups from the 4th line. We had two scoring lines & two defensive lines. Now we have still have two defensive lines, one struggling offensive line & one with no identity which gets no ice time!

How can anyone possibly argue the Hodgson trade has been good for us?

:sick:

We can debate it to our faces are blue, but people who say that Hodgson was a sure bet for the playoffs and Kassian is a gamble are mistaken.

I'll give you Kassian, as a prospect has potential risk of not paying off. But at the same time Hodgson had not proven to be playoff effective yet either. So there was still the risk of him not producing in the playoffs. This is combined with the fact that he was a defensive liability. Meaning, in tight scoring series, he would be high risk, not ideal for the 3rd line.

On Buffalo, it was noted that in the final games, he made multiple bad decisions that led to goals against, costing the team.

Now Sami Pahlsson, his REAL replacement, is a proven NHL top shutdown centreman who has won it all before, and has shown consistency for our team even this early. He can put it in the net at times, but not often. But his real plus is he's great in our end, and great as a forechecker.

And I know the purpose of this post wasn't to discuss whether MG screwed up, but I have to point out anyways that we could not sign Erhoff for his asking price. It's sad but true. If we did we would have to have shed 1-2 of our players like Hansen, Lapierre, Higgins, or Edler.

Sure, we have seen the effects of his loss. But I wouldn't want to see our team without one of those 4 players.

Pahlsson replaced Malhotra not Hodgson. Why not Pahlsson/Manny/Bitz as a stopper 4th line? Boston beat us like that.

Prior to the deadline we were as high as 3rd in GAA in the league with Malhotra taking defensive match ups from the 4th line. We had two scoring lines & two defensive lines. Now we have still have two defensive lines, one struggling offensive line & one with no identity which gets no ice time!

How can anyone possibly argue the Hodgson trade has been good for us?

:sick:

Archived