The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Was The Canucks Worst Trade Ever

TACIC

However, more recently I think the worst decision(which was only part trade) was the decision to go with Ballard over Willie Mitchell.

Willie Mitchell has not made it a secret he wanted to stay here but when the Canucks signed Hamhuis and traded for Ballard he knew he was out.

So as a result the Canucks decided to give up:

Willie Mitchell

Michael Grabner

1st Round Pick(Howden)

and 700,000 in cap space

for

Keith Ballard

That is pretty bad!

If the Canucks had Willie Mitchell instead of Ballard last year they likely would have won the cup.

If I recall correctly, the Canucks did offer Mitchell a contract. Mitchell chose to go to LA for a bigger amount of money, and I do not begrudge him his choice.

One of the factors in why the Canucks did not offer Mitchell a bigger deal was due to his concussion, and the liklihood that the team might not be able to get insurance on this contract should Mitchell once again be concussed. Gillis was willing to risk a couple of million on Mitchell, but not the higher amount for which he did sign in LA.

Fun Fact: LA signed Mitchell for the same amount of his previous contract with the Canucks, but only for two years, so they are not that willing to gamble on Mitchell's condition either.

As to the Ballard deal, I'm okay with Giliis trading away Grabner, who is not that reliable at either end of the ice, and Bernier, who has continued to under-perform for what was expected of him (now with NJD). I do regret that Gillis had to give up a 1st rounder, but that being said, until Howden actually does something at the NHL level ...

regards,

G.

I was really pissed about this one. Peca was my favorite young Canuck.. Pat Quinn said he would never trade a young center because of this trade.

The first season after this trade, the Sabers didn't make the playoffs, we did but got eliminated in the first round. We went on to not make the playoffs for 4 years. Buffalo made the playoffs and nearly won the Cup in 99.

So we could have gotten Mitchell for two years, $7 million? Instead we got Ballard for a very loooong time at $4.2. Huge mistake, very poor judgement. Grabner was either first or second in even strength goals last year. We only scored a handful of goals all series, having a great scorer like that could have helped. Put those two mistakes together, throw in the first round pick and you have one of the poorest decisions in Canucks history. Probably not in same category as Neely, but clearly has to be mentioned.

It was my understanding Mitchell was doubtful to start the year but I don't remember anybody saying it was a career ender. Gillis was worried about the start of the year. We were in a weak division and were clearly going to win it, he should have been focused on the team going into the playoffs. Just terrible foresight and judgement.

Anybody who thinks there is a possibility that Hodgson will become good enough to make his trade worse than the Neely one is seriously out to lunch. He may end up a decent 1st liner...but HOF-er? Not a chance...

1.) Never suggested that Mitchell's injury was career ending. What I did suggest was that there may have been difficulties in the Canucks acquiring insurance for his contract because of his past concussion issues. If Mitchell were signed and he did get another concussion, then the team was stuck eating his contract, which would have made team ownership rather annoyed.

LA was even more in need of quality d-men than Vancouver and so they were willing to risk signing Mitchell. Good for them for taking a big risk, and good for him. If anything, the Canucks might be faulted for not having the same insurance carriers as the Kings, and/or maybe team ownership might be faulted for not wanting to risk $7 million on Mitchell not taking another head shot.

Too bad for you that Gillis did show excellent business judgement by not signing Mitchell. Had Mitchell been re-signed and then concussed, Gillis might not have been given a contract extension. :)

2.) "Last year Grabner..."

This year Grabner dropped his goal production by 14, and dropped from +13 to -18.

Might Grabner have scored some goals? Maybe. I suspect that his poor defensive play would have resulted in even more LA goals scored. Grabner is also a very soft player. I doubt that he would have stood up against the physical play of the Kings.

Have things worked out in the Ballard trade? Nope, but I am optimistic that things are getting better. Is this trade even in the running for an honorable mention as one of the worst Canuck trades? Not even close.

As has been mentioned so many times before, Gillis assessed that Grabner likely wasn't going to make the team, and rather lose him for nothing, he was traded. This assessment was shown to be correct when Grabner's efforts (or lack thereof) got him waived to the minors by Florida and picked up by the Islanders. Bernier wasn't what Gillis hoped he could be, but his contract was low risk which made him easy to to move (more excellent business sense on the part of Gillis).

I do regret the losing the 1st, but when you get right down to it, that was the only asset of substance Gillis gave up.

regards,

G.

But we couldn't score against Boston and we traded the 2nd best goal scorer in the league in even strength situations. He was the best in the league in non power play situations (even + short handed). There was nobody in the entire league that had more goals than him. We needed secondary scoring. And that couldn't have helped? There was literally nobody better at scoring goals. That's not an asset? I think you are getting a little emotional. I understand you don't want this to be true, but while Chara was shutting down the twins, we needed secondary scoring.

I did enjoy how you said that LA's D was too tough. Ummmm, the reason they were so good? Yeah, Mitchell might have something to do with it. You can go on and on about reasons bad trades were made, but at the end of teh day we need a gm that gets them right, we don't. But we do have excuses. Boy do we have excuses.

Barry Pederson - 185 lbs. shoots right, center.

Cody Hodgson   - 185 lbs, shoots right, center.

Cam Neely     - 218 lbs, shoots right, right wing.

Zack Kassian - 214 lbs. shoots right, right wing.

Archived