The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have attempted to acquire Brandon Dubinsky

5 mil left after acquiring dubinsky and parise. Traded loungo straight up for shenn, abviously we could get more. Kept malhotra and alberts just to see how cap would look with them on the team.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Zach Parise ($6.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,545,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,755,000

Thats a pretty big top 6. D is sturdy, but could use some help. Lack probably needs more time in the ahl. We could still make some moves to upgrade the D. Even if we cant get Parise we could get other players from UFA for his spot. Thats with a cap of 70 mil but it fits, barely. If we remove malhotra and alberts that could still fit in a 68 mil cap hit we could still sign somebody for some defensive depth or get another top 6 dman

NYR clearly don't need a goalie so MG would be a god to pull something like this off:

Raymond and our 1st for Dubinsky.

Believe it or not, Dubinsky scored 10 goals and 34 points in 77 games last season, which is worse than Raymond's pace after coming off a 50 point season. He's basically a grittier Mason Raymond in terms of development. Going into the playoffs we have this beast of a team:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Kassian - Dubinsky - Hansen

Bitz - Malhotra - Lapierre

For those saying Dubinsky is too expensive to be a third line centre:

1. Someone needs to play second line centre while Kes is injured.

2. Dubinsky is versatile, can play the wing.

3. The Penguins won a Stanley Cup with J. Staal as their 3rd line centre, and he was a 4 mil cap hit.

Some serious overpayment proposals in this thread.

If they aren't willing to take any salary, then they are in a serious position of weakness/salary dump - might give them a 2nd round pick - tops.

The Rangers have a lot of guys who can play center - Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle, and Rupp in addition to Dubinsky, and regardless of cap hit, those guys are probably all considered as valuable as Dubinsky.

We have a center who had Dubinsky numbers last year - Lapierre: 9 goals and 244 hits - Dubinsky: 10 goals and 207 hits. Lapierre at 1 million, Dubinsky at 4.2. Lapierre hit a bit more, Dubinsky did have 15 more assists - but if the Rangers want to move that contract, I'd offer a 3rd to start and perhaps move up to a second. If someone else wants to overpay, fine - the Canucks will be fine without Dubinsky (lots of young possibilities with the likely moves on the horizon) - the Rangers need to move him.

The pick can be recovered in another move. Would rather pay a little more for Clutterbuck, but would be much harder to pry away from Minnesota.

FYI.

Dubinsky's productivity goes up in physical games not down like Raymond's.

If we play a skill series then the Sedins will kill you. If we have a grinding series then Dubinsky would become all of our new favourite player.

Seems like a great fit to me.

If they aren't willing to take any salary, then they are in a serious position of weakness/salary dump - might give them a 2nd round pick - tops.

The Rangers have a lot of guys who can play center - Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle, and Rupp in addition to Dubinsky, and regardless of cap hit, those guys are probably all considered as valuable as Dubinsky.

We have a center who had Dubinsky numbers last year - Lapierre: 9 goals and 244 hits - Dubinsky: 10 goals and 207 hits.  Lapierre at 1 million, Dubinsky at 4.2.  Lapierre hit a bit more, Dubinsky did have 15 more assists - but if the Rangers want to move that contract, I'd offer a 3rd to start and perhaps move up to a second.  If someone else wants to overpay, fine - the Canucks will be fine without Dubinsky (lots of young possibilities with the likely moves on the horizon) - the Rangers need to move him.

The pick can be recovered in another move.

We have a center who had Dubinsky numbers last year - Lapierre: 9 goals and 244 hits - Dubinsky: 10 goals and 207 hits. Lapierre at 1 million, Dubinsky at 4.2. Lapierre hit a bit more, Dubinsky did have 15 more assists - but if the Rangers want to move that contract, I'd offer a 3rd to start and perhaps move up to a second. If someone else wants to overpay, fine - the Canucks will be fine without Dubinsky (lots of young possibilities with the likely moves on the horizon) - the Rangers need to move him.

The pick can be recovered in another move. Would rather pay a little more for Clutterbuck, but would be much harder to pry away from Minnesota.

Guest Dasein

5 mil left after acquiring dubinsky and parise. Traded loungo straight up for shenn, abviously we could get more. Kept malhotra and alberts just to see how cap would look with them on the team.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Zach Parise ($6.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,545,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,755,000

Thats a pretty big top 6. D is sturdy, but could use some help. Lack probably needs more time in the ahl. We could still make some moves to upgrade the D. Even if we cant get Parise we could get other players from UFA for his spot. Thats with a cap of 70 mil but it fits, barely. If we remove malhotra and alberts that could still fit in a 68 mil cap hit we could still sign somebody for some defensive depth or get another top 6 dman

FYI.

Dubinsky's productivity goes up in physical games not down like Raymond's.

If we play a skill series then the Sedins will kill you. If we have a grinding series then Dubinsky would become all of our new favourite player.

Seems like a great fit to me.

Yes but there will be 20 teams bidding on him. He won't be cheap.

Like JVR he would be the major piece in a deal for Nash or Weber.

If it happens it will be a miracle.

The cap for next year ain't gone be anywhere near 70 million once the dust settles on the labor dispute front. If the players take goes from 57% to something like 52% it will be closer to to the present cap limit of 64 million.

Meaning cap space will again be at premium and even it the Luango trade brings very little salary back it will still leave us with only about 4-5 million to spend on 1 marquee player. I like Dubinsky but I'm not sure he is that guy.

Schultz's bonuses, should MG score in getting him, will also eat up a lot of space. If I'm MG I'd be working some furious at dumping Raymond, Malhotra (not sure how given his NTC), and even Ballard if AV persists in not using him.

Dubinsky would not be the major piece to a deal for either of those players because of his price tag and lack of production. Makes no sense as guys like Kreider and Del Zotto are younger, cheaper, and likely more productive options in a deal for those superstars.

This is interesting. MG has been trying to acquire this guy for a long time. I believe there were reports a few yrs back when MG first got here he was trying really hard.

I think he could probably be had for a few picks. He'd definitely solidify our centre ice position.

Something tells me Gillis knows something. Like perhaps New York is close to acquiring Nash, but need to unload some salary.

Just like the trade for Ehrhoff. San Jose wanted Heatley and we got Ehrhoff for practicaly nothing.

If Gillis can get Dubinsky for some mid range prospects like Sweatt and Sauve, I'd be down.

Archived