The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atheism On The Rise In America

Sharpshooter

Thoughts having a relation to reality?? What, like telekinesis??

And have you noticed that since the advent or better tools for understanding the world miracles are on the decline as most if not all are debunked. A miracle is 'magic' that suspends the natural laws of the universe. So some evidence that the laws of nature have been suspended and evidenced as such, here on earth, would need to be presented for anyone to rightly state that a miracle has taken place.

But even supposing that a miracle had taken place, such as someone turning water into wine, or walking on water, or even rising from the dead......it does not prove that the person was born of a virgin or was god incarnate, or 1/3 of the 3 pieces that make up one deity.

Miracles are the equivalent of hazy Bigfoot pictures/videos for those who want to believe 'they're' out there...and look!...a foot-print!

It's nonsense. It's laughable, and those that purport them to be 'real', are entitled to the shaming and mockery. There are no ghosts, goblins, bigfoots(bigfeets), unicorns, leprechauns, devils, demons, gods, godesses, and sea, sky, land monsters, or boogeypersons(because I don't want to be sexist)

And no matter of wishing, hoping, believing, thinking will or ever has made them actually 'real'.....presupposedly, or not.

If believing in god is just superstition, surely reincarnation--the idea that I, or you, may 'come back' as a dog--must be lumped in with those who get the dreaded internet facepalm and the a punishing from the iron fist of elitism?

I've never understood how Sam Harris can have all of his weird "eastern" beliefs in regards to the afterlife and spirituality, which rely just as much on superstition as any christian doctrine, imo

So if you come into an atheism thread just to make this statement, how does this make you any less annoying than the atheists you apparently have a problem with? You only came in here to make a nuisance of yourself, which is an art you have perfected down to the letter. Here's an interesting tidbit for you. I don't walk around denouncing evangelical christians in my hometown. I only speak up when I'm being accosted by the more pushy members of the church group. Granted what I may have to say is somewhat caustic, but after growing up around this type of Grade A Bull**** my whole life in an area where there are more churches on average than restaurants, I don't really care anymore. If they wish to believe in an invisible man who watches everything they do and is supposed to thwart evil whenever he apparently damn well feels like it, that's their business. I only have a real problem when they feel they have a right to stick their nose into MY business, because I don't believe the same as they do.

Yes, on their current trajectory, religious institutions would likely mostly die out on their own. However, the scripture says other motivations will be at play: God puts the idea into the minds of the ruling authorities (Revelation 17:16-17).

------------------------

Now...I don't expect anyone to suddenly believe that, because of what some poster wrote on a message board. However, this is an example of why I am religious, and why I think it's important not to "keep beliefs to yourself".

Most people, including many religious, believe it doesn't really matter what you believe, because it doesn't really have an effect on anything but your own mental space. 'Whatever helps you make sense of the world, and gets you through your day'. Although personal understanding and fulfillment are important, that's only a small part of why I am religious.

The message of the Bible is that changes are coming - whether you believe them or not, and whether you accept them or not. The things that it says will happen will affect every person on the planet. And whether these changes are good for a person or not will completely depend on whether they are prepared for them.

Again, I don't expect people to believe because of a message board post...but I will always tell others the bible is definitely worth looking into. If they disagree - even vehemently - that's fine, that's their right. But I'm not going to stop believing, or letting others know. I feel I have a personal responsibility.

I'm amazed you can wedge your head that firmly up your own rectal cavity. I live down here in the Bible belt, jack...and everything I just said was 100% true. You may think otherwise because you don't have to live down here in Jesusland...but that just disqualifies any frame of reference you have to make a statement like this. and WHO the **** are you comparing to Hitler??

Why do Atheists ridicule the belief that we came into being from something with a conciousness? This has been an idea that has entered the conscious mind of humanity for a long, long time and has been evident in many different parts of the world and times, including our modern times.

So the folks who simply stop at "we came in to being by chance" is the one that would seem mindless, no? It's like they are rejecting years of consensus that has survived with humanity so long.

I'm amazed you can wedge your head that firmly up your own rectal cavity. I live down here in the Bible belt, jack...and everything I just said was 100% true. You may think otherwise because you don't have to live down here in Jesusland...but that just disqualifies any frame of reference you have to make a statement like this. and WHO the **** are you comparing to Hitler??

See, that's the kind of nonsense that the Bible professes that people believe as some divine revelation.

But, change is ALWAYS coming....that's not a 'revelation'.....it's a universal constant.

And saying so, doesn't give me divine foresight, nor does it give the Bible any extra authoritative weight or clout.

Change is coming and occurring from the moment you're born.

Why do Atheists ridicule the belief that we came into being from something with a conciousness? This has been an idea that has entered the conscious mind of humanity for a long, long time and has been evident in many different parts of the world and times, including our modern times.

So the folks who simply stop at "we came in to being by chance" is the one that would seem mindless, no? It's like they are rejecting years of consensus that has survived with humanity so long.

Archived