The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Was in hindsight the wrong call, but was never a horrible call. I absolutely despise that narrative that goes around.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/02/pete_carroll_s_play_call_didn_t_lose_the_super_bowl_bill_belichick_tom_brady.html

Pete Carroll has never, ever, been an offensive coordinator nor play caller. To suggest that Carroll is imposing a system upon Russ is flat out wrong. Now if you have issues with the offensive coordinator, then you might have a case. I also feel like its pretty harsh to judge a staff on 2 road games to start a season, of which they lost both by 1 score. 

What have you seen at all that suggests that Russ is unhappy with Carroll, or his philosophy? If you cannot provide evidence, why suggest it?

https://clutchpoints.com/seahawks-rumors-seattle-could-get-three-first-round-picks-in-trade-for-russell-wilson/

Could get 3 firsts.

You are wrong with regards to Pete not having control of the offense. He has complete control over all aspects of the team even the playcalling. The offence is probably 75% Pete and 25% OC. Doesn't matter if he's never been an OC. Fact of the matter is his coaching is dated and not working and hasn't for a number of seasons. The only time the Seahawks have done anything offensively the past 2 seasons is when they run the 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter when they are behind and Russ is able to create plays with his legs.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

You are wrong with regards to Pete not having control of the offense. He has complete control over all aspects of the team even the playcalling. The offence is probably 75% Pete and 25% OC. Doesn't matter if he's never been an OC. Fact of the matter is his coaching is dated and not working and hasn't for a number of seasons. The only time the Seahawks have done anything offensively the past 2 seasons is when they run the 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter when they are behind and Russ is able to create plays with his legs.

I am not even going to argue with you. You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/42047/calling-the-shots-why-some-nfl-head-coaches-refuse-to-give-up-playcalling-duties

46 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

I was actually watching the condensed version of that super bowl and the play before that Lynch runs the ball and I didn't realize how close he was to getting in. He just got tripped up but couldn't keep his balance to cross the goal line. 

Hightower with a torn pec and bicep brought him down. He'll never lose my respect.

50 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

I was actually watching the condensed version of that super bowl and the play before that Lynch runs the ball and I didn't realize how close he was to getting in. He just got tripped up but couldn't keep his balance to cross the goal line. 

It was wide open. Had Hightower not have been there to make that play, it was an easy TD.

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

I am not even going to argue with you. You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/42047/calling-the-shots-why-some-nfl-head-coaches-refuse-to-give-up-playcalling-duties

And what exactly are you implying here? How much Seahawks football have you watched the last 15 years? Carroll and Bevell built an offence around a run first mentality with Lynch which worked for many years but now that he is gone that offensive system hasn't even changed that much and it's progressively gotten worse with each year. Yeah Russ had a career year last year TD and passing wise but a lot of his stats came in either garbage time or the two minute drill. How brutal have they been in first halfs of games offensively for the last 2 seasons? Schottenheimer is no different than Bevell. He does as Pete tells him. 

Edited by Pickly

7 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Keep telling yourself that. You are wrong. Pete has the ultimate say on that team with regards to every single aspect.

I literally provided you a link that says that he is not the offensive play caller. You flat out denied it. You are ignorant.

13 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I literally provided you a link that says that he is not the offensive play caller. You flat out denied it. You are ignorant.

No, I'm just an educated football fan who sees things for what they are. Sure, the OC on any team is the "playcaller" but it doesn't mean that they have 100% control of every play nor do they have 100% control of what kind of offence a team runs. Case in point, with Seattle, it's a Pete Carroll style offence ran by whoever has the title of OC. Who the hell do you think made that awful call at 49 where they should have ran the ball? It was ultimately Pete's decision to pass the ball. Look, we can go back and forth all day about this but I'm not gonna argue with what I know to be facts vs some media article from ESPN. It's well known in Seattle that Pete controls the way the Seahawks want to play offence and defence. 

Who cares who it was that made the call.....despite what the article says, it was a stupid call. If you're worried about the clock, you have Beast Mode plow into the line one more time and in the extremely unlikely scenario that he's unsuccessful, you spike the ball to stop the clock and then decide what you want to do on 4th down. (IMO, you give it to Lynch again)

I understand how Pats fans would want to make this less about a bad play call and more about how "deserving" New England was, but it was a brutal play call, no matter who made it.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Who cares who it was that made the call.....despite what the article says, it was a stupid call. If you're worried about the clock, you have Beast Mode plow into the line one more time and in the extremely unlikely scenario that he's unsuccessful, you spike the ball to stop the clock and then decide what you want to do on 4th down. (IMO, you give it to Lynch again)

I understand how Pats fans would want to make this less about a bad play call and more about how "deserving" New England was, but it was a brutal play call, no matter who made it.

What Browner and Butler did (not to mention the preparedness for that play, as they saw Seattle run that play out of that formation earlier in the season and actually practiced breaking on that slant) was a high level, clutch play. 

But yes, thank you Pete for having an undersized QB throw an inside slant from the 1. 

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Why spike the ball when you can call a timeout? Seahawks still had one timeout remaining

6 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Why spike the ball when you can call a timeout? Seahawks still had one timeout remaining

Yikes!

I feel like coaches get intimidated by the Patriots and make nervous plays. Here Seattle management overthought the situation (they think we're gonna run, so we're gonna try to outthink the Pats and score), and the Falcons did something similar when they called a passing play that led to a sack to take them out of field goal range (which could have sealed the game). That's how you know the Pats are a dynasty; the other teams get nervous and do things out of character.