The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

26 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Keeps on rolling! Tough test in KC next

Love watching Jackson play.  Like so many young QB's who run too much, how long  before he gets a bad leg injury though.  And, when he does get forced into a pocket passer role (which will happen) can he read the defenses quickly enough to make the correct throws?  I understand why the Ravens are using him as they are; he's winning.  However, is this best for his future development?  

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love watching Jackson play.  Like so many young QB's who run too much, how long  before he gets a bad leg injury though.  And, when he does get forced into a pocket passer role (which will happen) can he read the defenses quickly enough to make the correct throws?  I understand why the Ravens are using him as they are; he's winning.  However, is this best for his future development?  

I agree Alf. Nobody has ever doubted Lamar Jackson's physical ability. For me, I always saw a very talented guy who has an erratic arm, and makes poor decisions (in the running and passing game). Given his slight build, it is only a matter of time before he suffers a major injury, unless he improves his decision making. 

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's learning to go down quicker and ways to protect himself. Probably needs to emulate Russell Wilson to have a lengthy career.

Rn his his running ability is so far ahead of his passing, that the Ravens don't have much of a choice. Lamar's also only 21. LJ can only improve by starting and winning really helps. Great so far!

The trend with qbs like Lamar (Kap, Rg3, Tebow, Vick) is immediate success cause they're hard to gameplan for. Maybe Lamar and the Ravens stout defense could make a run? 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Van40 said:

The trend with qbs like Lamar (Kap, Rg3, Tebow, Vick) is immediate success cause they're hard to gameplan for. Maybe Lamar and the Ravens stout defense could make a run? 

Tough sledding in the AFC. Most likely have to win in Pittsburgh, in KC, or in NE. Not easy places to play.

I want to weigh in on the abuse thing and then hopefully we can get back to football (Eagles were just intercepted in the end zone).

No one "deserves" it.

When someone assaults someone else, they are in the wrong.  They should be dealt with. 

But it's not a free pass to go back at them.  That makes two people wrong.  You have choices in how you react to things.  Walk away.  That's what anger management teaches you.  You'll learn about that if ever you try to use the "she deserved it/hit me first" argument.  It's not accepted as a reason to assault someone.  You'll both be guilty, that's all.

Women who haul off and hit men ARE wrong and should not get away with it.  But let it be handled appropriately...don't "fight" a woman or you're just a loser.  No matter what your words may say, the actions are what speak to that.

• Upvote 2

On 12/2/2018 at 7:49 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Since when did the Patriots get Obi Melifonwu? That guy is a freak.

Ideal Height/Weight/Speed measurables for a S. Plus he has size to play some LB in sub packages.

Remember him blowing up the combine very raw, but elite athletic profile, and got injured for the Raiders I believe.

Gruden is real stupid for letting him go so quick with all that athletic potential. Worst case he is an outstanding special teams demon.

After every questionable move by Gruden, another little piece of me dies. What is that man doing to my Raiders?

More and more I’m becoming less of a fan of that team (and I have been on board since the early 1970s), and just a fan of the NFL in general.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:36 PM, King Heffy said:

Steelers beat themselves with undisciplined penalties at the worst possible times.

I was at the game inJacksonville where the Steelers won on the last play.

They looked comatose for most of the game and they were helped back into the game with some game management type calls by the zebras. 

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just saw Cam Newton and Jamies Winston play on Sunday. Both guys looked great when they rolled out or improvised. When ever either of them tried to throw from the pocket, it was a disaster.

Might as well have been Jonathon Jennings out there.

Newton got picked four times by guys that weren’t even starters a few weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

Just saw Cam Newton and Jamies Winston play on Sunday. Both guys looked great when they rolled out or improvised. When ever either of them tried to throw from the pocket, it was a disaster.

Might as well have been Jonathon Jennings out there.

Newton got picked four times by guys that weren’t even starters a few weeks ago.

Josh Allen, the Bills rookie qb, reminds me of Cam Newton. Both have rocket arms, super strong, and mobile. Erratic accuracy and questionable decision making though. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I want to weigh in on the abuse thing and then hopefully we can get back to football (Eagles were just intercepted in the end zone).

No one "deserves" it.

When someone assaults someone else, they are in the wrong.  They should be dealt with. 

But it's not a free pass to go back at them.  That makes two people wrong.  You have choices in how you react to things.  Walk away.  That's what anger management teaches you.  You'll learn about that if ever you try to use the "she deserved it/hit me first" argument.  It's not accepted as a reason to assault someone.  You'll both be guilty, that's all.

Women who haul off and hit men ARE wrong and should not get away with it.  But let it be handled appropriately...don't "fight" a woman or you're just a loser.  No matter what your words may say, the actions are what speak to that.

In this case all he had to do was to tell one of his handlers to go tell hotel security that he had been attacked by the woman. After the hotel found out who he was they would have checked the footage (pronto!) and called police immediately. Seeing her carted off by the police in cuffs would have been far more satisfying than any physical violence he could inflict on her, then sign some autographs for the coppers and off you go on your way. The problem is I think many of these players come from some rough places and they have only ever learned to respond to violence with more violence. Its usually how they end up getting to the top, football is a game of will, of exerting your dominance on your opponent. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Toews said:

In this case all he had to do was to tell one of his handlers to go tell hotel security that he had been attacked by the woman. After the hotel found out who he was they would have checked the footage (pronto!) and called police immediately. Seeing her carted off by the police in cuffs would have been far more satisfying than any physical violence he could inflict on her, then sign some autographs for the coppers and off you go on your way. The problem is I think many of these players come from some rough places and they have only ever learned to respond to violence with more violence. Its usually how they end up getting to the top, football is a game of will, of exerting your dominance on your opponent. 

Agreed.

I just don't understand how small or lacking your testicles must have to be to want to hit a female. Again, no matter how much she's in your face kicking and screaming, as a man (and a professional football player no less) you should be able to control her or keep her at distance without needing to punch and kick her. Or you know, have your "posse" keep her back. You're gonna tell me 3 goons for hire and a pro NFL player couldn't keep a drunk girl at bay?

On 12/2/2018 at 7:49 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Since when did the Patriots get Obi Melifonwu? That guy is a freak.

Halloween day after Gruden released him.

He made his debut against Minnesota and was instantly noticeable on special teams. Only played a handful of snaps on defense. 

He's been staying late with Steve Belichick (safeties coach) to watch film and learn the coverages. 

With Josh Gordon and Melifonwu being 2  key young pieces going forward, along with a 1st round pick, 3 2nd-round picks and 3 3rd-round picks in the upcoming draft, this team will be set for success for the next era (even though I still think Tom plays for 3 more years). 

Hard not to believe that we pick a QB in round 2 or 3 this upcoming year

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

After every questionable move by Gruden, another little piece of me dies. What is that man doing to my Raiders?

More and more I’m becoming less of a fan of that team (and I have been on board since the early 1970s), and just a fan of the NFL in general.

It's funny, because I was a Raider fan back in the 70s. (Huge Kenny Stabler fan still) Al Davis ruined the franchise for me. The first move out of Oakland cinched it for me. I cheered for the Seahawks for a while, but switched to the Bills when Jim Kelly entered the league.

Kelly is my all-time favorite player, but Stabler is a close second.

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I hear ya on that last part.  I used to be able to watch any game no matter who was playing, now I can only watch my team.  Sorry about your Raiders, imagine a new gm coming in here and trading Elias Pettersson for picks, we would all be livid. 

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I hear ya on that last part.  I used to be able to watch any game no matter who was playing, now I can only watch my team.  Sorry about your Raiders, imagine a new gm coming in here and trading Elias Pettersson for picks, we would all be livid. 

Not sure how you managed that Tre, but it was PistolPete who said that, not me.:unsure: