The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Gronkowski playing tomorrow?  I heard he’s considering retiring.  

He goes as Brady and Jules go. 

This year was good for Gronk. He stayed healthy. Yes he missed a couple games, but that was more strategic rest and preventative measures rather than him sustaining a new injury. 

Inside the locker room (according to the beat guys who write for the athletic) he was a lot different too. He was back to his joking self, buddies with everyone, and his personal life with his long term gf has really stabilized. 

I think he'll come back, but if he retires, there should be 0 pats fans who have a problem with it. The 8 year run he gave us where he became the most dominant TE in NFL history, 2 super bowls wins, and countless Gronk spikes, are memories and clips I'll be sharing with my future kids decades down the road.

I'm not one to collect a bunch of memorabilia, but I have some really special things (signed Bruschi photo from after beating the Eagles in the SB where he's holding up 3 fingers and a newspaper that says dynasty, a 2007 white Randy Moss jersey with the super bowl patch - even though we lost in the SB, the fact a modern team went 16-0 and Brady and moss set records makes those memories special, a bunch of other rare stuff I got from Foxboro (a tom Brady bobble head of which only 500 were made) and then some plaques and all that) which I'm excited to share with kids in the future. I don't think we'll ever see a team dominate for 19+ years like this ever again. 

Hope today's not the end of this season - but I'm glad there's the NFC championship and a Canucks game beforehand to help ease the nerves! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

He goes as Brady and Jules go. 

This year was good for Gronk. He stayed healthy. Yes he missed a couple games, but that was more strategic rest and preventative measures rather than him sustaining a new injury. 

Inside the locker room (according to the beat guys who write for the athletic) he was a lot different too. He was back to his joking self, buddies with everyone, and his personal life with his long term gf has really stabilized. 

I think he'll come back, but if he retires, there should be 0 pats fans who have a problem with it. The 8 year run he gave us where he became the most dominant TE in NFL history, 2 super bowls wins, and countless Gronk spikes, are memories and clips I'll be sharing with my future kids decades down the road.

I'm not one to collect a bunch of memorabilia, but I have some really special things (signed Bruschi photo from after beating the Eagles in the SB where he's holding up 3 fingers and a newspaper that says dynasty, a 2007 white Randy Moss jersey with the super bowl patch - even though we lost in the SB, the fact a modern team went 16-0 and Brady and moss set records makes those memories special, a bunch of other rare stuff I got from Foxboro (a tom Brady bobble head of which only 500 were made) and then some plaques and all that) which I'm excited to share with kids in the future. I don't think we'll ever see a team dominate for 19+ years like this ever again. 

Hope today's not the end of this season - but I'm glad there's the NFC championship and a Canucks game beforehand to help ease the nerves! 

I’m not a Pats fan, but (like most) I really like Gronk.  

Gronk reminds me of an 80’s movie “Crocodile Dundee” character. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m not a Pats fan, but (like most) I really like Gronk.  

Gronk reminds me of an 80’s movie “Crocodile Dundee” character. 

As much of a meat head persona he portrays, he's one of the gentlest souls in the NFL with the amount of work he does for kids with diseases.

If you have a subscription to the athletic I can send you a link to a really well written piece on all the no attention no media charitable work he does on off days and such

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

As much of a meat head persona he portrays, he's one of the gentlest souls in the NFL with the amount of work he does for kids with diseases.

If you have a subscription to the athletic I can send you a link to a really well written piece on all the no attention no media charitable work he does on off days and such

Those things you mention, along with his jumbo sized body and character, are what makes Gronk so well liked by everyone.  He’s a good guy, who uses his talents to do good things, just like “Donk” in the old movie. 

8 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I either want a young gun vs young gun super bowl, or grandpa vs grandpa. 

I mean, I want the pats to win today regardless of who wins the NFC , but those story lines would appeal to me the most. 

Young guns game would be awesome, but since I have no interest in seeing the Pats vs Saints that's probably the game we'll get. 

3 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

From the 1 inch line you gotta go for it on 4th for a chance to the show 

It's not even like that would have lost them the game either if they failed to convert. 

Aggression is rewarded, especially since it's more of a play to win than play to not lose.

3 minutes ago, c00kies said:

It's not even like that would have lost them the game either if they failed to convert. 

Aggression is rewarded, especially since it's more of a play to win than play to not lose.

It's the young, inexperienced HC factor. 

Reason I say that: McVay's reputation is for being young and aggressive and always going for it. In a big game at a big moment, he went totally against his coaching identity. I think the decision will haunt him because Brees will move the ball down slowly to win it with no time left. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, NucksPatsFan said:

It's the young, inexperienced HC factor. 

Reason I say that: McVay's reputation is for being young and aggressive and always going for it. In a big game at a big moment, he went totally against his coaching identity. I think the decision will haunt him because Brees will move the ball down slowly to win it with no time left. 

Yeah I think he's scared to make the wrong play, so he made the safe "at least we get something" play. 

Let's see how it goes.