The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The extra team in there makes each matchup more lopsided.  That was painful to watch.

Average margin of victory this weekend was 17 points, or 3 scores, and that’s with the Bengals and 9ers slimmer margins bringing the average down. Last year’s average was an 8 point margin and the year before (pre expansion) was 6. 

I understand the NFL’s motivation to expand but if it’s going to be like this every year maybe they should reconsider. Nobody wants to watch a bunch of blowouts. The Pats, Steelers, snd Cards didn’t look like they belonged on the same field as their opponents, and I’d argue Philly too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. I saw the interview.

I have to admit that I don't follow the Cowboys all that closely, (except to celebrate when they lose) but my impression has always been that they'll be a perennial bubble team with more talent than results, as long as Jerry Jones continues to meddle.

If they ever hire a competent GM and give him autonomy, they might be a threat.

Jerry Jones IS the GM.  He has always been the GM since he bought the Cowboys in 1989.   As owner and GM he has won 3 Super Bowls so he does know his stuff.  Very few NFL owners are both owner and GM.   The late owner of the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis, was also owner and GM.  He was pretty successful too.

So to have a new GM, Jerry Jones has to fire himself.

14 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Jerry Jones IS the GM.  He has always been the GM since he bought the Cowboys in 1989.   As owner and GM he has won 3 Super Bowls so he does know his stuff.  Very few NFL owners are both owner and GM.   The late owner of the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis, was also owner and GM.  He was pretty successful too.

And that's what he should do....

15 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Interesting you bring that up. Jesse Palmer,who was a former NFL QB who is Canadian and is now a college football analyst, thinks the Cowboys need to fire McCarthy in order to keep Kellan Moore in house as the new HC and prevent him from getting poached by another team.

I don't know what to think...I am obviously not thrilled with Mcarthy, but I don't want another Jason Garrett situation where Jerry anoints the "chosen one" when he may not deserve it yet. 

And this year has for sure made me reconsider Kellans talents as an oc.

I really don't know what we should do or what to think.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Interesting you bring that up. Jesse Palmer,who was a former NFL QB who is Canadian and is now a college football analyst, thinks the Cowboys need to fire McCarthy in order to keep Kellan Moore in house as the new HC and prevent him from getting poached by another team.

And Tim Cowlishaw, who covers the Cowboys for the Dallas Morning News, thinks the Cowboys need to fire McCarthy in order to keep Dan Quinn in house as the new HC and prevent him from getting poached by another team.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2022/01/17/after-playoff-disaster-dallas-cowboys-need-to-fire-mike-mccarthy-promote-dan-quinn-to-head-coach/

Lot of speculation.  But the only opinion that counts is Jerry's.   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The extra team in there makes each matchup more lopsided.  That was painful to watch.

10 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Average margin of victory this weekend was 17 points, or 3 scores, and that’s with the Bengals and 9ers slimmer margins bringing the average down. Last year’s average was an 8 point margin and the year before (pre expansion) was 6. 

I understand the NFL’s motivation to expand but if it’s going to be like this every year maybe they should reconsider. Nobody wants to watch a bunch of blowouts. The Pats, Steelers, snd Cards didn’t look like they belonged on the same field as their opponents, and I’d argue Philly too. 

I agree that wasn't the best result. Some teams this year snuck in by luck and circumstances because better teams had injuries or more difficult schedules.

We missed having perennial playoff powerhouses like the Saints,Ravens, and Seahawks.

It was a weird season with no truly elite team that separated itself during the regular season other than the Packers maybe.

I think they could afford to add another wildcard team in another 4-5 years depending on how things go and go back to the top 2 respective conference teams both getting the first week bye.

Regardless we are down to the best 8 teams in the NFL this season and other than the Bengals,49ers, and the Titans, the remaining 5 are legit SuperBowl contenders.

1. Green Bay

2. Tampa Bay

3. Buffalo 

4. Kansas City

5. Los Angeles 

Any of these teams winning the Superbowl shouldn't come as a huge shock imo other than the Bills for some people who won't believe it until it actually happens...

8 hours ago, DonLever said:

Some would say Jimmie Johnson was the straw that stirred the drink. Jerry's ego is too big but in recent years he has seemingly yaken a step back and listening to Stephen Jones and Will McCray.

On 1/18/2022 at 2:15 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

And that's what he should do....

Yup. Thats the reason why Jimmy Johnson, the REAL architect of that Cowboys dynasty was fired. He was getting all the credit and Jerry Jones wasn't having it. In fact, The Cowboys probably would've been in a worse situation had his son not step in on the decision making. Jerry really wanted to draft Manziel, in behest of the scouts and his son Stephen told him to F-off and told him they were taking Zack Martin. Martin has arguably been on of the best guards of his era, multi pro bowl, multi all pro nods, will someday make it to Canton, while Manziel ends up being a bum

• Cheers 1

On 1/18/2022 at 10:58 PM, Chip Kelly said:

I agree that wasn't the best result. Some teams this year snuck in by luck and circumstances because better teams had injuries or more difficult schedules.

We missed having perennial playoff powerhouses like the Saints,Ravens, and Seahawks.

It was a weird season with no truly elite team that separated itself during the regular season other than the Packers maybe.

I think they could afford to add another wildcard team in another 4-5 years depending on how things go and go back to the top 2 respective conference teams both getting the first week bye.

Regardless we are down to the best 8 teams in the NFL this season and other than the Bengals,49ers, and the Titans, the remaining 5 are legit SuperBowl contenders.

1. Green Bay

2. Tampa Bay

3. Buffalo 

4. Kansas City

5. Los Angeles 

Any of these teams winning the Superbowl shouldn't come as a huge shock imo other than the Bills for some people who won't believe it until it actually happens...

Some would say Jimmie Johnson was the straw that stirred the drink. Jerry's ego is too big but in recent years he has seemingly yaken a step back and listening to Stephen Jones and Will McCray.

Jimmy orchestrated the Hershel Walker trade, and made a lot of moves with the assets they recieved. Theres a youtube video of the great Herschel Walker trade and how it almost singlehandedly built the cowboys dynasty. All the compensatory picks, moving up and down in the draft, its quite incredible how Jimmy Johnson turned the Cowboys into a powerhouse in the early 90s. At their best, they were borderline unstoppable

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2022 at 4:28 PM, UnkNuk said:

And Tim Cowlishaw, who covers the Cowboys for the Dallas Morning News, thinks the Cowboys need to fire McCarthy in order to keep Dan Quinn in house as the new HC and prevent him from getting poached by another team.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2022/01/17/after-playoff-disaster-dallas-cowboys-need-to-fire-mike-mccarthy-promote-dan-quinn-to-head-coach/

Lot of speculation.  But the only opinion that counts is Jerry's.   

They do need to fire McCarthy. That guy is an idiot, almost as retarded as Douche Staley, or whatever that moron coach's name with the LA Chargers. I'd be weary on Dan Quinn though. He's a fine DC but he wasn't very good when he was the HC in Atlanta

On 1/17/2022 at 3:39 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I just thought it was a terrible call all around.

In real time, Chip and I were kind of amazed how neither team looked like they wanted to win. For some reason, the Niners allowed several passes to the sideline, which was obviously where the Cowboys had to throw it.

Even though they were marching the ball successfully with the pass, they decided to get cute and go for the QB draw....a needlessly risky call, IMHO. That being said, if you're going to run that play, you have to know how far you can run before going into the slide and you have to know what to do with the ball afterward.

Terrible call. They were better off throwing another short sideline pass and getting an "easier" play to the endzone or getting 2 Hail Mary shots to get it TD with a chance of getting a PI in one of those attempts. I practically fell off my chair seeing Dak run with the ball

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A guy named Ted Hyman has re-imagined every NFL helmet. Most of them look way better than what the teams are currently using. Check them out.

https://www2.247sports.com/new-helmet-designs-for-all-32-nfl-teams/49

Not sure about the Ravens and Bucs, but I really like the Niners and Steelers....

Some of them looked pretty cool.

But "No" to the Cowboys.

eb1c2b02a7d0f4bb990a9a080a2255e2.jpg

• Cheers 1

Wtf was Tennessee doing on that two minute drill. Running play and short passes in the middle of the field. What ever happened to working the sidelines?

To top it off Tannahill  tosses a pick. Handing the game to the Bengals because Burrow is a real QB.

How do you lose a game where you had 9 sacks? 
Team with the better QB won, that’s for sure.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

The pick is what will be remembered, but to me, it was the previous drive that cost the Titans that game. 3rd and short with that running game and you go QB sneak? Then on 4th, you hand the ball off 5 yards deep?

Terrible play calling. But I'm not complaining....

• Cheers 1