The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Maybe we need Mike Singletary to help coach the Canucks?

One of the best accountability speeches of all time . I miss Singletary, I wish he had stayed with the team in strictly a defensive capacity.. Torts is definitely solution orientated but truly in my eyes we lack big time scoring. We need more than ever a player who can steal the show with one shift one shot one play. This is a tall order in the NHL and we as fans need to consider if the Canucks management is not willing to go out and get the missing pieces this team needs then we are going to see more 3rd periods like this one :(

Defence is important. Really wish Jackson and Folks had some chemistry though. McNabb and Vick use to do longbombs to him while I only see Riley getting long bombs now.

Successful first season for Chip

Crazy to say this but they haven't had as feared a qb to wr combination since McNabb and T.O. had before it fell apart.

Hate T.O. all you want but he is by far the best receiver they have ever had. The only true number #1.

I like Desean and Maclin but more as number 2's. Neither is a one. Desean was blanketed the whole game by Keenan Lewis until he went down.

Only then did he appear and make some plays. Plus the majority of the Eagles deep shots come off play action passes. They got shut down in the run game and it really affected the whole offence.

The run game is so critical with McCoy. If he is going it opens up space for everybody else making this offence run on all cylinders.

I really hope the Eagles see this and draft a wr in the first three rounds to make sure they have a guy who has a shot to be a number 1 or at the very least a very good #2 with a big body who has enough speed to stretch the filed but most importantly can run good routes and is a red zone threat.

Defence I wholeheartedly agree. With the exception of adding another receiver the offense is good enough as is. Maybe add some depth on the o-line.

If Vick wants to stay and backup Foles it will be huge. They can incorporate Vick as the change of pace read-option/ wildcat qb and he can run it better than Brad Smith.

This off-season is huge for the Eagles and they must use their resources to improve the talent on d. Use the cap money from the paycut Vick takes (hopefully to be the backup) to sign some experienced guys for the d-line specifically.

They badly need a nose tackle who can occupy double teams so it opens up the linebackers to make stops in the run game.

Plus they need a way better pass rush to help cover for the secondary. They are solid at the corner spots but need help at both safety spots.

Need a hard hitting safety haven't had a good once since Dawkins. Chung is decent against the run but terrible when he has to cover a receiver one on one. He should be strictly limited to playing in the box and never back as the center fielder like he was when he got burned deep by Meachem.

Need to focus the whole draft on defense.

I would prioritize the Eagles needs in this order. As 1) Free Safety, 2) Nose Tackle 3) WR 4) D-line 5) D-line 6) O-line 7) CB

Edited by Chip Kelly

Bring on the Colts!

Hope Belichick does what Andy Reid clearly didn't know to do, and that is double cover the Colts ONLY viable thread: TY Hilton. Talib and Gregory on Hilton, Arrington on Heward-Bey, Ryan on on whoever else they have. I think Collins can cover Fleener one on one.

However, Robert Mathis versus a rookie playing LG should be interesting.

Most likely they will try to take away T.Y. with Talib and mixing up coverages.

One guy who could bust out and could surpirse is Da'Rick Rogers. He is a big physical receiver who is very good at making tough contested catches in traffic and with defenders draped on him.

Basically a poor man's Dez Bryant. He has first round talent but went undrafted because he doesn't have it all together up there much like Dez.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Man that looked like a blatant hold by the GB lineman on the 4th and 2. Nice escape though by Rogers.

Refs aren't calling anything today.

I thought the same thing. Looked like a WWE choke hold from where I was. Glad it wasn't called, because it made for a more exciting game, but if I was a 'Niners fan and they had lost, I'd be pretty "choked" about that non-call...

In the eyes of Bro Jake and Dave Pratt, the playoffs are already over and Seattle has already won the Super Bowl. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're driving down to Seattle right now expecting to see the victory parade. -_-

Seriously, what a joke. To them, there is no such thing as the AFC. It was all "It was destiny for it to be Seattle and San Francisco with Seattle coming out on top and taking home the championship in the end."

At least they have one sensible guy on their Monday morning NFL talk in Mitch Berger.

In the eyes of Bro Jake and Dave Pratt, the playoffs are already over and Seattle has already won the Super Bowl. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're driving down to Seattle right now expecting to see the victory parade. -_-

Seriously, what a joke. To them, there is no such thing as the AFC. It was all "It was destiny for it to be Seattle and San Francisco with Seattle coming out on top and taking home the championship in the end."

At least they have one sensible guy on their Monday morning NFL talk in Mitch Berger.

Mitch Berger is a moron. He always picks against Seattle, has all year long pretty much. That being said, he does have better "insight" than most of the other 1040 morons, which isn't saying anything.

Mitch Berger is a moron. He always picks against Seattle, has all year long pretty much. That being said, he does have better "insight" than most of the other 1040 morons, which isn't saying anything.

Well he is the only one who is a former NFLer...

As to the Seahawks, I agree with them being slight favorites, but I'd be a bit worried about how they finished up if I were them. I think they beat the Saints, but after that, they have to face one of two QBs who can run as well (or better)as Wilson does.

I still believe that they can get it done, but planning the parade is premature in the extreme, IMHO.

Pats LB Brandon Spikes, one of the best in the league, put on season ending IR with a knee ailment. He's had problems with his knee in the past also but he's done for the rest of the season....huge, huge blow for the Pats, sigh :(

Pats LB Brandon Spikes, one of the best in the league, put on season ending IR with a knee ailment. He's had problems with his knee in the past also but he's done for the rest of the season....huge, huge blow for the Pats, sigh :(

Makes much more sense why the Pats signed TE Austin Collie...hopefully he can give Brady some trust to throw to him (a TE) since he's not comfortable at all without Gronk..

Edited by TheRussianRocket™

Makes much more sense why the Pats signed TE Austin Collie...hopefully he can give Brady some trust to throw to him (a TE) since he's not comfortable at all without Gronk..

Austin Collie is a WR. A slot WR. He caught two key 4th down passes vs the Saints and a couple key 3rd down catches versus the Browns I believe. He was signed because WR Josh Boyce is out for the year with a foot injury. Hence Collie, a WR, replaces Boyce, a WR. I don't know how a WR coming in after a linebacker goes out makes sense. :S

Predictions:

New England 13 - 17 Indianapolis

Denver 45 - 27 San Diego

Carolina 20- 24 (OT) San Francisco

Seattle 30 - 21 New Orleans

The 2 I disagree with are: Alex Smith and a depleted KC offense put up 44 on the Colts, you think Brady will put up less than half the points the KC offense did? And second, I don't think Denver throws up 45. I think they'll win (was just taking a shot at canuckbeliever with my prediction) but not by putting up 45. If they do, I don't see Seattle/Carolina/SF being able to stop them in the super bowl.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Well he is the only one who is a former NFLer...

As to the Seahawks, I agree with them being slight favorites, but I'd be a bit worried about how they finished up if I were them. I think they beat the Saints, but after that, they have to face one of two QBs who can run as well (or better)as Wilson does.

I still believe that they can get it done, but planning the parade is premature in the extreme, IMHO.

Mitch Berger was, afterall, a punter, so I don't expect him to have great insight or analysis. But compared to the fools, Jake and Pratt, Berger stands out among them. I don't doubt Seattle could make it to the Super Bowl and even win it. But they're acting like it's Geno Smith coming into Seattle next week, not Drew Brees.

The Saints team that went to Seattle a few weeks ago, and the Saints team going in this Sunday are going to be 2 different teams. Brees, Graham, Colston, Sproles et all won't put up a goose egg again. But the question is, can the Seahawks get their passing game going versus a bad Saints secondary? They've been mediocre the last few games. No doubt Lynch will go beast mode, but the game will come down to which team's passing game produces more.

The 2 I disagree with are: Alex Smith and a depleted KC offense put up 44 on the Colts, you think Brady will put up less than half the points the KC offense did? And second, I don't think Denver throws up 45. I think they'll win (was just taking a shot at canuckbeliever with my prediction) but not by putting up 45. If they do, I don't see Seattle/Carolina/SF being able to stop them in the super bowl.

Yeah, but KC did all of that inside of a dome. I havn't checked the weather forecast for the NE game, but I'm assuming it will be cold, windy, and possibly some snow. That doesn't really sound like a good mixture for putting up alot of points.

Predictions:

New England 21 - 17 Indianapolis

Denver 31 - 21 San Diego

Carolina 17 - 23 San Francisco (hope I'm wrong with this one, Carolina is my bandwagon team this playoffs)

Seattle 34 - 20 New Orleans

Edited by canuckfan_21

Austin Collie is a WR. A slot WR. He caught two key 4th down passes vs the Saints and a couple key 3rd down catches versus the Browns I believe. He was signed because WR Josh Boyce is out for the year with a foot injury. Hence Collie, a WR, replaces Boyce, a WR. I don't know how a WR coming in after a linebacker goes out makes sense. :S

I think Brady will get injured on the Pat's first drive, then key player after key player :P

I just sense a big offensive burst by Denver, maybe too big, but it just feels right.