The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Ummm...I'm not hating.

Also, you can't just assume Brady coached these players 24/7, developed their entire routines and workouts, and was the only one involved in their improvements.

It's called proper development, and that's what happened with minitron. Sure Brady helped him along and got him familiar with the system, but it was a collaborated effort by the Pats organization, not just Brady.

Brady's leadership does play a huge factor, which I'm not negating as an influence, but rather that one athlete cannot transform another one by himself (not Manning, Romo, Polamalu, etc...). Leadership does count though, which is where Brady as an edge over most of the players in the league. He makes players want to play for him, which makes those players more inclined (but not directly cause them) to improve themselves.

Brady is a wonderful QB, Leader, individual, and probably lover as well.

I'll never tell. :ph34r:

I'd have to agree with you.

Some of the things Edelman has done to up his game are pretty awesome. Arrives at the facility at 5:30am every morning, before any other player, executive, coach, or minimum wage worker is there, and catches balls out of the ball machine for 30 minutes straight. Keeps his back to the machine and works on his timing. And then for 45 minutes after he hits the weights hard, followed by yoga to work on flexibility which enhances his durability which is needed for how much he gets tackled.

Obviously these aren't things Brady told him, or made him do. An example of where Brady's leadership and expertise comes in is that he is the coach, and the QB, in the huddle and in the film room. He can correct his receivers mistakes in the huddle so that they go out and do it proper the next snap without any coaches getting involved. Big advantage to have QB's like these, because they can coach their receivers to play exactly how they want them to, instead of how the coach wants them to.

Heard a rumor Edelman got his morning routine from Mark Wahlberg, who's a big Pats fan and goes to a lot of games, and who also is up at 4am every morning and works out for 2 hours.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

I'd have to agree with you.

Some of the things Edelman has done to up his game are pretty awesome. Arrives at the facility at 5:30am every morning, before any other player, executive, coach, or minimum wage worker is there, and catches balls out of the ball machine for 30 minutes straight. Keeps his back to the machine and works on his timing. And then for 45 minutes after he hits the weights hard, followed by yoga to work on flexibility which enhances his durability which is needed for how much he gets tackled.

Obviously these aren't things Brady told him, or made him do. An example of where Brady's leadership and expertise comes in is that he is the coach, and the QB, in the huddle and in the film room. He can correct his receivers mistakes in the huddle so that they go out and do it proper the next snap without any coaches getting involved. Big advantage to have QB's like these, because they can coach their receivers to play exactly how they want them to, instead of how the coach wants them to.

Heard a rumor Edelman got his morning routine from Mark Wahlberg, who's a big Pats fan and goes to a lot of games, and who also is up at 4am every morning and works out for 2 hours.

It's both but for it to work, you need to make it work with Brady first. Brady's always available but it's a matter of if the guy is willing to go that far. Edelman did, it's worked out beautifully. Others, not so much. It's building a relationship and chemistry with TB. Remember when Ochocinco came here and why it never worked out? You guessed it, didn't have the right work ethic to gel with Tom. Obviously Chad does things himself to get ready, but it's a different ballgame when you're with the QB and putting in work.

Brady is a YAC leader for a reason.

Cause he calls the right plays, finds the open man, and attacks defenses weaknesses? And he doesn't have a deep threat so he can't rely on throwing many sidelines passes = throws short-mid passes for the most part and has a team that knows the situation they're in and how to block to get the receiver open for the best result for the offense? If so, then yea, there's the reason.

4536892647_3c6e83b9ba.jpg

Or maybe his receivers do a great job of getting open?

Because of calling the right plays to get receivers open in the first place?

I've been reading the past couple minutes as I just got home and all you're doing is just asking dumb questions and posting one sentence comments that lead to obvious answers.

Edited by Apple Juice

Because of calling the right plays to get receivers open in the first place?

I've been reading the past couple minutes as I just got home and all you're doing is just asking dumb questions and posting one sentence comments that lead to obvious answers.

That's cause Russian rockets posts are hilarious, I'm not gonna waste my time reading that.

Rumor is Chip is trying to get out of his contract in Philly to go to Buffalo - several of the bigger NFL analysts out there who are fairly well respected talking about it.

This whole Marrone walking out of his contract thing is getting more interesting.

@DarrenDegaetano: I have been told #Eagles head coach Chip Kelly has expressed interest in getting out of his contract.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2h2 hours ago

Back at Oregon people have heard how upset Chip Kelly is and how he wants out of Philly w/3yrs left on his deal, can he rattle enuff chains?

Rumor: Chip Kelly has expressed interest in getting out of his Eagles contract http://sbnation.com/e/7246402

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 3h3 hours ago

This Chip Kelly stuff is wild. He's not known as being always easy to deal with, but things have really escalated quickly with GM Roseman

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 3h3 hours ago

And all the coaching searches just froze RT @DarrenDegaetano: Chip Kelly has expressed interest in getting out of his contract.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk Dec 31

Tom Gamble firing possibly reveals tension between Eagles coach Chip Kelly, G.M. Howie Roseman http://wp.me/p14QSB-9FLN

Alex Marvez and Charean Williams also talked about it on air.

Bart Hubbuch ‏@BartHubbuch 38m38 minutes ago

This only coming to a head because the Eagles are concerned about Chip Kelly's gang ties. :lol:

Chip Kelly is an offensive genius, fan or not of his style it has gained some viability in the NFL.

For Chip Kelly's offence to truly be tested, Chip needs a GM on the same page as him. So he can draft the players he needs to be successful.

When he started implementing this style in Oregon he also started recruiting the players to run this style. Fast, Fast, everything from linemen to the kickers.

He needs an organization to fully buy into what he is doing. He is building a culture, a brand, a label whatever you wanna call it. He needs 100% creative control.

I can also see him going to a team that has intentions of drafting Mariota. He needs his boy to run his offence.

I think the Eagles are making a pretty huge mistake.

Chip Kelly is an offensive genius, fan or not of his style it has gained some viability in the NFL.

For Chip Kelly's offence to truly be tested, Chip needs a GM on the same page as him. So he can draft the players he needs to be successful.

When he started implementing this style in Oregon he also started recruiting the players to run this style. Fast, Fast, everything from linemen to the kickers.

He needs an organization to fully buy into what he is doing. He is building a culture, a brand, a label whatever you wanna call it. He needs 100% creative control.

I can also see him going to a team that has intentions of drafting Mariota. He needs his boy to run his offence.

I think the Eagles are making a pretty huge mistake.

Well it looks like he'll be staying. Reports are saying he's been given complete control of all personnel decisions

I have a thin grasp (at best) on what constitutes fair value in an NFL trade. What's it going to take for Philly to pry that pick out of Tampa? My immediate guess is a hell of a lot, followed by thoughts of Tampa being stupid for having done so.

edit: just had a quick look at last years draft trades, and remembered that Buffalo took Cleveland's 4th overall off of their hands for the 9th overall, another 1st and 4th in 2015.

So change the 4th into another 1st in 2016 and we approach fair value?

Edited by Green Building

I have a thin grasp (at best) on what constitutes fair value in an NFL trade. What's it going to take for Philly to pry that pick out of Tampa? My immediate guess is a hell of a lot, followed by thoughts of Tampa being stupid for having done so.

edit: just had a quick look at last years draft trades, and remembered that Buffalo took Cleveland's 4th overall off of their hands for the 9th overall, another 1st and 4th in 2015.

So change the 4th into another 1st in 2016 and we approach fair value?

Redskins gave up 3 1sts and a 2nd for the 2nd overall pick to draft Griffin III. Edited by Madness

Philly would need to give up a Washington type deal to get up to #1 for Mariota. They need to move all the way from the 20th (i think?) pick to get the franchise QB. Washington was at #6 when they made that trade for Griffin. 3 firsts and 2 2nds.

Would be a bad deal for Philly imo. I think they should either try and draft somebody like Hundley later or maybe give up a 3rd for somebody like Cousins. Those extra picks would be put to better use to sort out that secondary and plug other holes in the lineup.

Redskins gave up 3 1sts and a 2nd for the 2nd overall pick to draft Griffin III.

Oh yeah! These guys: (can't embed right now)

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/AFADF9EFEA1153438021178290176_38916d2d78c.1.1.3836938253198270653.mp4?versionId=F2jGIEj_kpgWuYIn9zkdznnOmMDP9Gl_

In case anyone is wondering, the Rams trolled the Redskins at the pregame coin toss by sending out all of their players drafted with the picks acquired in the RG3 deal.

Philly would have to do Foles and 2 firsts for the Bucs pick imo. Of course it also depends on how much the Bucs value Mariota. I wouldn't go crazy and replicate the rg3 deal.

In hindsight the RG3 deal worked out pretty good for the Rams. In a world where NFL 1st rounders are sure to make an impact on the roster the following season moving 3 1sts for 1 had better be a sure thing.

Do the Eagles have the depth and confidence to draft Mariota, lose someone like Foles, and then not have 1st round picks for 2 more years? I don't think too many teams can get away with that and Philly doesn't seem like one of them.

Edited by Green Building

Being a Bears fan, i really think way too much blame goes to Trestman and Cutler, especially Trestman. The bears offensive skill group is probably one of the most overrated in the NFL. None of Marshall, Jeffery, or Bennett are sure handed with simple routine catches, while Jeffery and Bennett very hard times seperating from defenders. Forte too, is getting old and can't break a tackle for his life. No coach or mid-tier quarterback would have succeeded with the Bears offence in 2014, let alone the horrendous defence.

I also don't see Trestman as a fit for Kaepernick as his offences rely on short to intermediate passes and lots of screens. Partially which is why he didn't succeed with the Bears: he was paired with Cutler who can hit a target 70 yards down the field better than he can with like 5 yards, and given a bunch of fat and slow 6'5 receivers he tried throwing screens/executing end arounds with. Kaep is a similar player except with added athletic ability, and the 9ers offense also lacks speed for trestman's west coast style, although to a lesser extent.

Actually, it was said mostly tongue in cheek. I like Trestman and wouldn't mind seeing him end up in Buffalo.

Maybe he can "fix" Manuel... ;)