The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

8 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Can you believe Tyrod Taylor was open to playing for the Eagles because he thought his arm strength and athleticism were perfect fits for this system? Chip opted to give Tebow a shot instead and put his trust in forever injury prone Sam Bradford who he thought could become a b version of Drew Brees..

I really hope Eagles draft a young qb to push Bradford who is mobile and can throw. This Trevone Boykin from TCU looks like the next Tyod Taylor great arm and speed in the open field to keep defenses honest when playing the run and on qb option.

Did not know that. Tyrod is an interesting guy though. He was a backup that just consumed knowledge in Bal for years. This past off season he just got absolutely shredded. Happy for the guy. 

As for the Eagles, yall gotta just pray lol. Sanchez is a better fit but you just know he's going to throw a backbreaking int in the important games. 

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

@gmen81, heard David Cobb is back for the Titans tonight. Just wondering, between him and Antonio Andrews, who's the better back?

Didn't gmen send out a fantasy football league email saying he's done with CDC but still wants to continue with the league?

@MarkDanielsPJ: Sammy Watkins was asked about the Patriots job on Odell Beckham and he said "I mean they had a great cornerback on him in [Malcolm] Butler"

...Butler has gone a long ways. Instead of being a fluke SB hero, man he's took on the 1CB role and has run away with it. By no means is he elite but atm, he's really proving his case and turning the haters into believers. 

I mean last week against OBJ, he was rock solid. Other than the 80 yard TD he gave up to him (was McCourty's fault since he missed the tackle...should've been a 10 yard play), Butler absolutely made his day a nightmare. Jamming him, shoving, pushing, the technique, and especially the effort...it was spectacular. Great to see players around the league have taken notice over the past couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

So all week Peyton has failed to report to the Broncs with the rest of the team. Gets sat out a game, doesn't even have the guts to come give Osweiler some tips and be there in his corner.

Great teammate he is.

Not like he's been giving tips to Osweiler for 2-3 years now. The old man's rehabbing. Boston media at its finest...

Pierre-Pauls mitt is way too freaking big.  I am surprised no one is making a big stink about it, they will when he swats a pass down.

God that Jags/Titans game last night was cringe worthy.  I cannot fathom how they cannot sell out a primetime game that's only their 2nd true home game when Hickville High can get 70k to their highschool games 20miles down the bi-way. IF they ever move to London that will be a huge mistake for the league.  I was arguing with a buddy how I feel the NFL has peaked in terms of popularity with relation to the other 3 pro sports leagues.

On 11/19/2015, 10:01:18, Apple Juice said:

So where would Mark Sanchez fit in your ranking? In the bottom just underneath the average veterans?

I think Newton will definitely be a consistent and good quarterback in the league. From the moments I've seen him play this year, he has the tools to be a franchsie QB.

Yeah he is in the same category as Foles and Bradford and the rest of the average guys. To be hones, with how Bradford was playing up until 2 games ago, having Sanchez play is really not as big a drop off if any compared to teams who have a legit starter.

But then again usually when there is not much drop off between backup and starter it means usually that the teams' qb's are both terrible.-_-

On 11/19/2015, 12:01:39, Jägermeister said:

Paxton Lynch out of Memphis is very likely to be the 1st QB off the board should he declare for the draft.

6'7, 245lbs, and can throw the ball incredibly well on the run which is surprising given his size.  While he's a lot less polished than Goff or Cook, he arguably has a higher upside than both.  Joe Flacco is a pretty good comparison.

In any regard, it is a pretty average QB class this year.  Only Goff, Cook, and Lynch really look like players worthy of going in the 1st round.  

Jones, Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg, and Stanford QB Kevin Hogan are really the only 2nd round talents as well.  Personally, I think Hackenberg is the best out of that group, and has the potential to come in right away and surprise like Derek Carr did last year.

Neither Boykin or Prescott really have a game that will translate well into the NFL.  Both will be mid/late round picks that teams will take a flyer on due to their athleticism, but both are a long shot to make any real impact as a QB in the NFL

Unfortunately, as a Niners fan I've had to look into this a bit too much this season.  Given our current standing I hope we land Lynch or Goff in the first (Cook shouldn't be a top 10 pick), or we wait until the 2nd to land Hackenberg.

Interesting well Goff plays right in the 49ers backyard at Cal and has functional mobility from the reports I've seen as well as being able to make most of the throws required in the NFL.

For Boykin I think he would need a system like the Eagles have where the reads are simplified as the field is cut into two on most plays and the qb always has more than 2 options on each play built in if he is athletic and smart enough to take advantage of them.

Heard about Paxton Lynch he is getting great buzz right now. Eagles sent their scouts to watch him too.

On 11/19/2015, 10:59:18, Baka said:

Sanchez is easily better than some of those on his average list. He is a pretty capable QB if you look at his numbers last season minus the 1 game where the Seahawks bent him over he was completing 65% of his passes for an average of 290 yards a game. If he kept his pace and played a full season even with the Seattle game he would have finished 14th with 25 passing TDs. His big flaw is that he can get overly aggressive and throw ugly INT's. Such as last game against the Phins where he threw that INT in the endzone with the game on the line.

He has been like this his whole career but hopefully his 2nd year in the system limits them a bit more.

I understand people like to say how many playoff wins Sanchez has but to be fair he had an amazing defence with the Jets with a young Revis and Cromartie who could both lock down guys 1-on-1 consistently a ferocious front and blitzing and exotic pressures from a typical Ryan defense.

Sanchez and really any qb's numbers in terms of completion percentage will be inflated the most in this offensive system due to the plays run being high percentage dink and dunk throws mostly with shallow crosses and quick throws to backs or receivers on screens and seam passes to TE's.

Those plays are much easier to complete when you only go deep rarely and prefer to work the middle of the field with the TE's and slot receivers and horizontally with screens.

I get what you are saying though but Sanchez is probably just as if not more mistake prone than Bradford he has a history of either fumbling or throwing big interceptions that change the momentum of the game for the worse.

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Interesting well Goff plays right in the 49ers backyard at Cal and has functional mobility from the reports I've seen as well as being able to make most of the throws required in the NFL.

For Boykin I think he would need a system like the Eagles have where the reads are simplified as the field is cut into two on most plays and the qb always has more than 2 options on each play built in if he is athletic and smart enough to take advantage of them.

Heard about Paxton Lynch he is getting great buzz right now. Eagles sent their scouts to watch him too.

Goff is probably the most pro-ready QB.  He will be able to step in and succeed in just about any system.  Hopefully the Niners don't pass up on another elite Cal QB prospect if they get the chance.  Smith over Rodgers... sigh...(Although, I must admit I became a 49ers fan because I thought Alex Smith was going to be a stud when he came into the league).

If Boykin has a good chance to succeed with any team, it would be the Eagles.  He would still be a project however.  He almost exclusively takes snaps from the shotgun, he has spotty throwing accuracy, and he takes too long to make his reads.  He's also quite small, and puts himself in dangerous positions with his running style, he's a bit like RG3 in that sense.  For him, I think his success as a pro will be largely impacted by the quality of his o-line.  He would struggle immensely having to make quick plays.  Definitely worth a flyer in the 5th or 6th though. 

Alright guys... I need some fantasy football advice.

Im trying to decide between Bridgewater and Hasselbeck for my QB2 spot (lucked out with Mariota this week). I've currently got Bridgewater starting vs GB (gut feeling), but I'm afraid Hasselbeck may put up more points vs ATL.

The other dilemma I have is John Brown, Shaun Draughn (vs SEA), and Tavon Austin (vs BAL) for Flex spot #2. I've got Draughn in there right now, as he's the only completely healthy one out of the three.

Any thoughts are welcome, as I feel you guys would know the situations a bit better than I do.

On 11/21/2015, 1:01:07, Chip Kelly said:

I understand people like to say how many playoff wins Sanchez has but to be fair he had an amazing defence with the Jets with a young Revis and Cromartie who could both lock down guys 1-on-1 consistently a ferocious front and blitzing and exotic pressures from a typical Ryan defense.

Sanchez and really any qb's numbers in terms of completion percentage will be inflated the most in this offensive system due to the plays run being high percentage dink and dunk throws mostly with shallow crosses and quick throws to backs or receivers on screens and seam passes to TE's.

Those plays are much easier to complete when you only go deep rarely and prefer to work the middle of the field with the TE's and slot receivers and horizontally with screens.

I get what you are saying though but Sanchez is probably just as if not more mistake prone than Bradford he has a history of either fumbling or throwing big interceptions that change the momentum of the game for the worse.

I was actually referring to his playoff stats and not specifically his record. 6 games with 9 TDs with 3 INTs and a completion percentage a hair over 60% with a ratings of 92.7 and 95.5 against some pretty good teams. As far as wins go the defense was huge but Sanchez certainly stepped up and played well.

Sanchez did get a boost in completion percentage and he isn't the most accurate QB but he is a QB who takes some deep shots. Last season Sanchez had an average of 7.83 yards per pass which is a pretty solid amount. Though no Maclin may change things this year it seems like Bradford may specifically have an issue going deep and involving his WR's. Sanchez did a good job with it last year.

I am not saying Sanchez is great or anything special but I do believe he is a solid NFL QB who is a bit underrated because people remember his screw ups first.