The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Dennis Skulsky is an evil genius. Builds unnecessary hype for a random August game, and now by handing out free tickets he's going to get a solid number of new people to try the lions in the stretch drive. At the end of the day these are just games in the way of the ones that really matter later in the season and into the playoffs. Even to say these matter for positioning is an overstatement as this is very much looking like the most likely chance for a crossover team to do some damage in the playoffs.

I admire your ability to marginalize that loss.

I had that same opinion when he first announced it. It's a brilliant publicity stunt. When you see how the players are all chatting and just loose on both sides you know it's really just another game in the season. DS managed to make it something more than that for both sets of fans and the media. If the Lions had won today I'm sure a lot of people would put too much stock in the win, just as people will put too much stock in the loss because of the false hype but really it's another week towards November.

Watched the game on TV and that second half was brutal.

Nine two & out's in the second half with 44 yards of net offence is embarrassing.

It's like Jacques Chapdelaine is still running the offence.

Got awful sick of all the end arounds and swing passes,,whats wrong with passing it down field ...even the Riders rookie QB was airing it out...Manny was totally misused.

Watched the game on TV and that second half was brutal.

Nine two & out's in the second half with 44 yards of net offence is embarrassing.

It's like Jacques Chapdelaine is still running the offence.

Was thinking the same thing, lol.

There has been one constant in the coaching staff through both his time and now, though. Playing a bit of devil's advocate, but at the same time i don't know what Benevides had done to earn an extension before the season started all the same.

Glenn always playing the short game doesn't help either. We'll see what happens with Lulay next week.

Dennis Skulsky is an evil genius. Builds unnecessary hype for a random August game, and now by handing out free tickets he's going to get a solid number of new people to try the lions in the stretch drive. At the end of the day these are just games in the way of the ones that really matter later in the season and into the playoffs. Even to say these matter for positioning is an overstatement as this is very much looking like the most likely chance for a crossover team to do some damage in the playoffs.

Id say it was a debacle since it probably gave the Riders incredible billboard material.

Nobody should ever be guaranteeing victory in pro sports imo, as it seems to put teams behind the 8 ball. The Lions were not a confident looking bunch I must say.

I think at some point, we have to give the Riders credit. They completely shut down the Leos' running game and I think we all know that Glenn is not going to win many games against good CFL teams with his arm.

The good news is, (and I admit there isn't much good that can be taken from that game) the Lions are done with the Riders and in light of their 13 pt victory in week 5, hold the tie breaker. It's virtually a certainty that 4th place in the West is going to be better than 3rd in the East, so one could argue that the crossover team has an easier path to the grey Cup than the top three Western teams.

BC has two more games against Winnipeg this season. It's my opinion that these games will go a long way towards deciding the Leos' fate, but to be within striking distance of 4th after playing the entire first half of the season without your starting QB is not the end of the world.

• Upvote 1

Id say it was a debacle since it probably gave the Riders incredible billboard material.

Nobody should ever be guaranteeing victory in pro sports imo, as it seems to put teams behind the 8 ball. The Lions were not a confident looking bunch I must say.

I think its the opposite of what you say. It gave BOTH teams billboard material. It build hype, sold a lot more tickets, and now in a worst case scenario for him, the team will have more fans supporting then for the remaining home games. I see nothing wrong with it, its not like it was off the cuff, it was planned as a marketing strategy and it worked.

One good game for Glenn against a so-so Argonauts team doesn't mean he's turned it around.

Read again what he said... he is 3rd in the league in passing, doesnt get that from one game. No one is saying he is amazing, but as a fill in quarterback taking this team to the record that he did, has to be a success and no one can rag on him for it. Of course having said, I cant wait for Lulay to get back into form :D

Wow classless fans cheering that Glenn got injured. Absolutely terrible

I was at the game, the fans weren't cheering that he got injured, we were cheering for Lulay to finally come in.

Painful game to watch. Jumped out to the quick lead and with the field position Logan and Brown were giving us, we should have won.

D looked weak on the long ball against the Riders, good thing they dropped a few. Glenn was awful after the first quarter. Coach B waited far too long to put Lulay in. So painful to watch Glenn sit in the pocket as it collapses around him waiting to throw the ball and gets dropped for a sack. Also, the run up the middle and the short passes. Not gonna win many games with 200 yards total offense. O line did a good job considering.

D ran out of gas, but you have to give it to them, they held the Riders to one TD. What could have been without that single near the end and that lucky bounce on the one Saskatchewan field goal.

Not sure why Scmitt was kicking to try and pin Sask. deep on the punts, McCallum shoul get the call on thos still.

Nice to see almost 34,000 in the stands, wish it was like that again normally. I'll give kudos to the Riders fans in our section, pretty well behaved for a change, LOL!

Some real stupid penalties again this game, Lions need to smarten up.

Gonna be tough to make the playoffs, the 2 games against Winnipeg are gonna be HUGE!

Regarding the guaranteed win:

I wanted to thank you for cheering on your BC Lions and showing your great support at yesterday's game. I was so proud of the the 'Roar Factor' provided by our loyal Lions fans all game long.

Unfortunately, we fell short of our goal of winning the game. There is no excuse; we just didn't execute to a winning level. However, I'm confident that Wally and Coach Bene will have the team ready to go when we come out of our bye week break, and begin what is going to be an important second half of the 2014 season.

Now as per the much publicized 'Win" guarantee I made for this game: let me assure you our club will honour the guarantee for a free ticket to each and every person who had purchased a ticket to this game. The offer is for a free ticket in the same price category (based on seat availability) to any of our remaining 4 regular season home games. Preliminary details were already sent out after the game last night and we will be in touch with instructions on how to redeem your tickets later this week. If for some reason you haven't received those details or seen the webpage, you can view that HERE. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact our Fan Customer Services team at 604.589.ROAR(7627) or by email at customerservice@bclions.com.

In closing, we've got some work to do to get back in the mix for a playoff spot in the very competitive West Division but I'm confident we'll get stronger as the season progresses.

As always thanks for your keen support. We're so fortunate to have such passionate and energetic fans.

With my best regards,

Dennis Skulsky

President & CEO

BC Lions Football Club

• Upvote 1

I was at the game, the fans weren't cheering that he got injured, we were cheering for Lulay to finally come in.

Painful game to watch. Jumped out to the quick lead and with the field position Logan and Brown were giving us, we should have won.

D looked weak on the long ball against the Riders, good thing they dropped a few. Glenn was awful after the first quarter. Coach B waited far too long to put Lulay in. So painful to watch Glenn sit in the pocket as it collapses around him waiting to throw the ball and gets dropped for a sack. Also, the run up the middle and the short passes. Not gonna win many games with 200 yards total offense. O line did a good job considering.

D ran out of gas, but you have to give it to them, they held the Riders to one TD. What could have been without that single near the end and that lucky bounce on the one Saskatchewan field goal.

Not sure why Scmitt was kicking to try and pin Sask. deep on the punts, McCallum shoul get the call on thos still.

Nice to see almost 34,000 in the stands, wish it was like that again normally. I'll give kudos to the Riders fans in our section, pretty well behaved for a change, LOL!

Some real stupid penalties again this game, Lions need to smarten up.

Gonna be tough to make the playoffs, the 2 games against Winnipeg are gonna be HUGE!

Regarding the guaranteed win:

I wanted to thank you for cheering on your BC Lions and showing your great support at yesterday's game. I was so proud of the the 'Roar Factor' provided by our loyal Lions fans all game long.

Unfortunately, we fell short of our goal of winning the game. There is no excuse; we just didn't execute to a winning level. However, I'm confident that Wally and Coach Bene will have the team ready to go when we come out of our bye week break, and begin what is going to be an important second half of the 2014 season.

Now as per the much publicized 'Win" guarantee I made for this game: let me assure you our club will honour the guarantee for a free ticket to each and every person who had purchased a ticket to this game. The offer is for a free ticket in the same price category (based on seat availability) to any of our remaining 4 regular season home games. Preliminary details were already sent out after the game last night and we will be in touch with instructions on how to redeem your tickets later this week. If for some reason you haven't received those details or seen the webpage, you can view that HERE. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact our Fan Customer Services team at 604.589.ROAR(7627) or by email at customerservice@bclions.com.

In closing, we've got some work to do to get back in the mix for a playoff spot in the very competitive West Division but I'm confident we'll get stronger as the season progresses.

As always thanks for your keen support. We're so fortunate to have such passionate and energetic fans.

With my best regards,

Dennis Skulsky

President & CEO

BC Lions Football Club

Lions will make the playoffs..at worst as a crossover. By the way,,,nice assessment of the game.

Edited by ShakyWalton

I think its the opposite of what you say. It gave BOTH teams billboard material. It build hype, sold a lot more tickets, and now in a worst case scenario for him, the team will have more fans supporting then for the remaining home games. I see nothing wrong with it, its not like it was off the cuff, it was planned as a marketing strategy and it worked.

I don't know exactly what or even if there is a psychological factor that comes into play. But I can tell you the act of guaranteeing victory in pro sports usually backfires in a nasty way.

It seems to me for every one Mark Messier guaranteeing victory over the Devils in 94 and delivering on that promise, there are about 10 equivalent cases such as Patrick Roy guaranteeing victory and getting completely embarrassed 6-0 against Detroit the next day.

Imo it was a very foolish thing to do. I think there are enough cases now to see that guaranteeing victory to the media in this way hinders a lot more often then it helps.