The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victoria Royals Thread

Rate this topic

Axel Blomqvist got sent back to the Royals this morning.

Magee got sent back too but he is serving a 12 game suspension from playoffs last season. :shock:

In other news on Hicketts

Defenseman Joe Hicketts made the most of an invitation to attend the Detroit Red Wings prospects tournament and training camp as a free-agent invitee.

The Red Wings announced this afternoon that they've signed Hicketts to a three-year, entry level contract.

Hicketts scored two goals to help the Red Wings finish third in the prospects tournament despite being the smallest player on their roster at 5-foot-8. He was also their second-youngest player on the team at age 18.

He scored the game-winning goal in a 6-5 overtime victory against the St. Louis Blues in the opener of the prospects tournament.

Hicketts played well enough to catch the attention of general manager Ken Holland, who said Sunday that "he played real well in the prospect tournament. I thought he played real good today. He missed almost half the year last year with injuries. He's impressed us."

Hicketts spent the past two seasons with the WHL's Victoria Royals. He had six goals and 18 assists in each season and was plus-25 in 2013-14.

He'll play in Victoria again this season, according to Red Wings assistant G.M. Ryan Martin.

joe-hickettsjpg-18b8454a2209e88f.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/09/red_wings_sign_defenseman_joe.html

Edited by Mackcanuck

We'll be back on the Island soon. Very happy for Hicketts, another really nice kid. Spoke with him a few weeks ago at the Everett Silvertips Preseason Tournament. My son had many questions for him, Hicketts was very patient.

I could be wrong but it seems Victoria has much more home games on weekdays then the last couple years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Royals Coach Dave Lowry to be named Head Coach of the 2016 Canadian National Junior team in Finland

Well earned and a great choice!!!

Hockey CAN will make official today what @StephRDSJunior reported last week: Dave Lowry (Victoria) will be head coach of CAN nat'l Jr team.

Lowry's staff will include D.J. Smith (Oshawa), Dominique Ducharme (Halifax) and Martin Raymond, who was eye-in-sky for 2015 nat'l Jr team.

Also Royals host PG Cougars in first round of playoffs starting in VIC on Fri. Mar. 27th and Sat Mar. 28th

Edited by Mackcanuck

I look forward to a great series between the Cats and the Royals obviously with the Cats winning. All the games so far between the two teams have been great so I'm looking forward to even better hockey in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Big win at home by the Royals last night 5-3

Magee was a beast with the Hatty and a 4 point night

Next game is tonight in VIC

The Victoria Royals held off a spirited effort from the Prince George Cougars, playing their first playoff game since 2011, to record a 5-3 victory Friday night before 4,629 fans at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.

The B.C. Division second-seed Royals lead the best-of-seven opening-round Western Hockey League playoff series 1-0, with Game 2 tonight in the Memorial Centre.

There was no rust on this Cat, as the B.C. Division third-seed Cougars led 2-0 after the opening period on the first two of their three power-play goals on the night.

“We knew [Cougars] would come with desperation, and we played with nerves in the first period, until we settled in,” said Royals head coach Dave Lowry.

“In the playoffs, you have to stay level and can’t get too caught up in the emotion.”

Veteran Royals forward Brandon Magee delivered a hat-trick in the second period to stake Victoria to a 4-2 lead heading into the final period. The game hung in the balance until Taylor Crunk’s empty-net goal decided it late in the third.

“[Cougars] special teams had a lot of compete tonight. We were fortunate to come back. That was the result of sticking to our game plan. Our leadership group did a good job of staying calm,” said Magee, of the first-period shocker Victoria faced.

“I got a couple of lucky bounces in the second period [for the hat-trick],” added the self-effacing Magee, of his four-point night.

It was the second playoff hat-trick in the nine-year history of the Chilliwack Bruins/Royals franchise, the first coming from graduated Royals forward Jamie Crooks exactly three years ago to the day in a first-round game against Kamloops.

The game turned in the second period on not only Magee’s three goals, but also a remarkable individual effort goal from Royals forward Greg Chase, who showed why he is under NHL contract to the Edmonton Oilers. Chase undressed the Cougars defence to give Victoria the 3-2 lead at 12:20 of the second.

The night was instructional.

“You can’t get too high or too low in the playoffs,” said Chase.

“We did a good job of staying even-keeled. It’s a long series.”

Victoria goalkeeper Coleman Vollrath made the save of the game at a key juncture in the middle period, sliding to his right on a two-on-one Prince George break to take away a goal from Chase Witala.

Alex Forsberg and defenceman Joe Hicketts had two assists each for Victoria.

The Cougars, with a roster boasting only 28 games of WHL playoff experience compared to Victoria’s 207, got odd-man goals from Witala, Tate Olson and Kody McDonald.

Victoria’s sixth-ranked power play was ineffectual at 0-3 against the worst penalty-killing team in the WHL.

Vollrath made 28 saves for Victoria and Ty Edmonds 20 for Prince George.

ICE CHIPS: Sixteen-year-old rookie Josh Anderson of Duncan, the six-foot-three Canada U-17 defenceman considered the future of the Cougars blue-line, was a scratch Friday.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/victoria-royals-rally-for-series-opening-win-1.1807497

Now we play Kelowna

VICTORIA 5

PRINCE GEORGE 4

Hockeyville, indeed.

The Victoria Royals put the exclamation point on a big Saturday in hockey for a city better known for its rowers, triathletes, runners, swimmers, cyclists and rugby and soccer players.

No sooner had the jubilation subsided in North Saanich, winner of the national Kraft Hockeyville balloting, than the Royals lit up Blanshard Street with a 5-4 playoff victory on an overtime goal by Brandon Magee. It gave Victoria a 4-1 series win over the Prince George Cougars in the first-round Western Hockey League series.

Royals forward Brandon Magee went from despair, with a careless delay-of-game penalty that allowed Prince George to tie the game late in regulation time, to scoring the overtime winner at 1:42.

“It was only fitting that I scored the winning goal after that penalty,” said a relieved Magee.

It was only the second playoff series victory in the nine-year history of the Chilliwack Bruins/Royals franchise, following up last year’s first-round sweep of the Spokane Chiefs.

“Saving 26 hours on the bus [to a potential Game 6 Monday in Prince George and back] was a motivating thing for us,” said Magee.

The Cougars played as well as a team can in losing a series by three games.

The last six minutes of regulation time Saturday were a whirlwind, which left the 5,839 fans in the Memorial Centre nearly hoarse.

Zach Pochiro’s third goal of the game tied it 3-3 for Prince George at 14:00 of the third period. Greg Chase’s third of the game looked to have it won for Victoria at 15:16.

But then came what could have been one of the costliest penalties in the franchise when the veteran Magee needlessly cleared a loose puck over the end boards in his own zone. Prince George, as it has done so often in the series, won the draw. That allowed the Cougars’ fine offensive-oriented defenceman Josh Connolly to tie it 4-4 on the power play at 18:46. It was Prince George’s eighth power-play goal of the series

A three-goal, first-period blitz, with two of them scored by Chase, staked Victoria to a 3-1 lead. Chase’s first goal came on the power play. The other for Victoria in the first came from Brandon Fushimi on an opportunistic wrap-around. Prince George answered in the first period with a goal by Pochiro, the St. Louis Blues-prospect who got in eight games of pro this season with the Alaska Aces of the ECHL.

Pochiro then absolutely tattooed a power-play slapshot to the back of the net at 15:14 of the second period to bring the Cougars to within one at 3-2. He would be heard from again. That PG goal was assisted by Jansen Harkins, the 18th-ranked North American skater for the 2015 NHL draft.

Neither team gave up, said Chase, who is under NHL contract to the Edmonton Oilers.

The Royals advance to the B.C. Division final, which are also the Western Conference semifinals, against the conference and league top-seed Kelowna Rockets. The best-of-seven series begins next Friday and Saturday in the Okanagan. The third and fourth games are the following Tuesday/Wednesday, April 14-15, in Victoria.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/victoria-royals-win-playoff-series-over-prince-george-in-ot-thriller-1.1814429#sthash.xsVMFMHb.dpuf

Edited by Mackcanuck

that was a fun series to watch but man the Royals fans have no clue about hockey.

Its nice to be in a boisterous crowd but the fans boo the refs hard because they gave a 2 min penalty instead of a 5 for a no-cut high stick. pretty funny actually

I like that they replay the penalties on the big screen and not just the ones that favor the home team.

if this team goes much farther I might run out of hats.

• Upvote 1

that was a fun series to watch but man the Royals fans have no clue about hockey.

Its nice to be in a boisterous crowd but the fans boo the refs hard because they gave a 2 min penalty instead of a 5 for a no-cut high stick. pretty funny actually

I like that they replay the penalties on the big screen and not just the ones that favor the home team.

if this team goes much farther I might run out of hats.

I think you're the one with no clue about hockey. The booing was because he should have been given a penalty shot, not a 2 minute powerplay.

K I've rewatched it and it could have been a penalty shot, I was at the other end and had not realised Chase was that far ahead of the other player. however the guy sitting 2 over from me said "it should have been 5 min."

overall I thought there was some game management going on but the game was not decided by the refs.

Gotta learn those refs early on how to do good game management