The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Do you mean the one where Leo was crawling all over the floor screaming and groaning for 35 minutes?

Or, as CDC calls it, "top tier acting"?

Oscar award-winning criteria #1:

- If Jim Carey could also do it, it doesn't deserve an Oscar

I still like DiCaprio as an actor, but I think the internet has become too obsessed with wanting him to win.

Having finally got around to watching 12 Years, I decided now is as good a time as any to do a top 10 list from 2013. Obviously I haven't watched every movie released, including some of the critical/oscar favorites (Nebraska and Philomena are two big ones). Also for some reason I hardly watched any foreign films last year, stuff like Blue is the Warmest Colour and The Act of Killing are likely to make their way on here some day, but as of now this was my top 10:

Gravity

Her

12 Years a Slave

Dallas Buyers Club

Before Midnight

All is Lost

Upstream Color

Fruitvale Station

Blue Jasmine

The East

The new Robocop remake movie: 4/10

No real plot. The action is nothing special. Michael Keaton's acting started out well, but halfway through he must have realized that he was in a terrible movie.

In other words, I want the 2 hrs. of my life back as well as the $8.50 I paid to see this terrible movie.

No real plot. The action is nothing special. Michael Keaton's acting started out well, but halfway through he must have realized that he was in a terrible movie.

In other words, I want the 2 hrs. of my life back as well as the $8.50 I paid to see this terrible movie.

Maybe the next best thing for you: a group of filmmakers in New York and LA did their own remake, as a sort of protest against the new Hollywood version. I watched part of it the other day, just a warning, it's very NSFW.

http://ourrobocopremake.com/

what did you expect

Robocop: 8/10

I dunno, I was able to enjoy it so much more than I was expecting to. It's not subtle in any manner (not that anyone would expect it to be), but I was able to get behind the idea of the movie in a similar way that I did with Oblivion with Tom Cruise last year. They have pretty much the same theme, presented in a different manner.

The attempt to modernize the first movie and give it a relevant paint job worked for the most part, but I would recommend the original over the remake either way.

Robocop: 8/10

I dunno, I was able to enjoy it so much more than I was expecting to. It's not subtle in any manner (not that anyone would expect it to be), but I was able to get behind the idea of the movie in a similar way that I did with Oblivion with Tom Cruise last year. They have pretty much the same theme, presented in a different manner.

The attempt to modernize the first movie and give it a relevant paint job worked for the most part, but I would recommend the original over the remake either way.

I think Hollywood needs to stear clear of remaking Paul Verhoeven films. His versions are always terrific by themselves. Except for Showgirls, let's all pretend that was Uwe Boll.

I think Hollywood needs to stear clear of remaking Paul Verhoeven films. His versions are always terrific by themselves. Except for Showgirls, let's all pretend that was Uwe Boll.

Don't forget Hollow Man.

...On second thought, do - PLEASE forget all about it.

Don't forget Hollow Man.

...On second thought, do - PLEASE forget all about it.

Elisabeth Shue, Kevin Bacon, Josh Brolin. I will not forget Hollow Man. Did I mention Elisabeth Shue from Adventures in Babysitting is in it? Did I?

Funny that you mention Showgirls. I was reading an article not too long ago that was talking about how it has actually become a kind of niche cultural movie now that it's 20 years later. Personally I only watched it back then because it has the girl from "Saved By The Bell" nude through half of the movie in it. I was disappointed that she didn't have a more shapely and firm butt. I felt bad for her because that movie put an end to her film career. The script was anemic, the acting could have been better, but the director was just horrible. It turned Elizabeth Berkley into a "one and done" movie actress.

Edited by SabreFan1

Elisabeth Shue, Kevin Bacon, Josh Brolin. I will not forget Hollow Man. Did I mention Elisabeth Shue from Adventures in Babysitting is in it? Did I?

Shue has been in far better movies.

Heck, even Cocktail was more endurable than that mess!

Edited by D-Money