The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

You're making me want to re-watch them....quite enjoyed them at the time.

They are fun. I don't hate either film, by any means. I bought them when they first came out, and enjoyed them much more 10/11 years ago. Came across it on US Netflix and watched them over 3 days. It was nice to rewatch, and there are some great things in it. I just ended up giving it a 6 overall because I rate films compared to other films in its genre. To me, Kill Bill is worth checking out for those that haven't seen it, but it is not one of the best revenge films or martial arts films on the market, not even in my top 10. Edited by Monty

I'm not a huge Kill Bill fan, but it's certainly many different kinds of better than DeathProof, lol.

That all comes down to preference, though. I prefer old fashion car chase films then I do martial arts films (which I also really like). And to me, Death Proof gave an interesting twist to the genre. Death Proof does have it's flaws. I mean, even for a Tarantino film it is far to talky. The guy just loves dialogue, to the point of where it can be his worst enemy (as shown in the diner scene in Death Proof, which is 20 minutes of snoozeville). I also get why Tarantino (and Rodriguez in Planet Terror) did the "scene missing", but it I didn't think it played in their favor. A gimmick that was a miss to me.

I just ended up giving it a 6 overall because I rate films compared to other films in its genre.

I'd still probably put it in 7-8 territory myself but I suppose that could change wqith a re-watch...it HAS been a while.

Personally, I like Tarantino.

I liked Django, but it ranks behind Inglorious Basterds, Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers in my book.

The Kill Bill movies, I'd rank around the same as Django and probably True Romance. After that it's a bit of a drop off for Grindhouse and Death Proof...

...but easily the worst of the ones I've seen (have to admit I haven't seen all of QT's movies) was From Dusk Till Dawn. Too much Tarantino himself and even Clooney and Keitel couldn't save it for me...

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Her (2013):

Wonderful. Just wonderful. Touching, funny, and even heartbreaking at times, Spike Jonze hits this romantic drama right out of the park. The cinematography and use of colours in this film is fantastic, the music suits the film perfectly, and the acting is f---ing magnificent. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is relatable, but we also pity him and are thankful we aren't in his position. Its premise is set in a very plausible future and the film really gets you thinking. What makes a relationship a relationship? Can we share emotions with artificial intelligence? Highly recommend seeing this picture.

A

9/10

Her has been getting tons of high praise, and a few good friends of mine loved it like everyone else but I just couldn't get into it. Other than the beautiful cinematography (reminded me a bit of Lost in Translation), I couldn't get into the narrative. I mean, how can an A.I know what phenomenal experiences are like? But other than philosophyical nit-picking, I just wasn't able to empathize with Phoenix's character, and I really do enjoy personal films.

Amazing Spiderman 2 7.5/10

loved the action and the story hated the most obvious product placement in movie history

didn't like how some characters were basically thrown in's for the next movie not going to go into great detail

Justice League Doom 9/10

near perfect movie for DC Animation minus the Villians they picked to counter each hero would of preferred Braniac or Darkseid heading it all and Joker over Bane they could of gone all out and picked the hero's greatest villains but seemed to go for the lesser known ones for the most part

the best part is Batman being Batman at his finest this movie is why i have Batman over Superman as the greatest hero

watching the Dark Knight Returns again both parts always a good movie and some great voice acting

Sony would have lost the rights to Spider-Man had they had not made another movie. Since the first trilogy ended their only option was to pretty much reboot the Spider-Man franchise. I'm pretty sure that's why Spider-Man received a very quick reboot.

they could have made spiderman 4 with different actors or gone to another marvel universe, like ultimate spiderman, instead of rebooting spiderman.

Edited by avelanch

Personally, I like Tarantino.

I liked Django, but it ranks behind Inglorious Basterds, Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers in my book.

The Kill Bill movies, I'd rank around the same as Django and probably True Romance. After that it's a bit of a drop off for Grindhouse and Death Proof...

...but easily the worst of the ones I've seen (have to admit I haven't seen all of QT's movies) was From Dusk Till Dawn. Too much Tarantino himself and even Clooney and Keitel couldn't save it for me...

Aww come on FDTD is a classic in all it's cheesy, gory glory! :lol:

Watched Hobbit 2 / DOS last night.

I won't go in to too much detail (as you guys have largely covered it already) but...

-I too felt they glossed over Beorn (particularly given the films length and how much other stuff was added).

-I actually liked Tauriel and thought she integrated in to the story well without taking away from the film...plus :wub:

-Spider scene was great.

-Barrel scene was good and I was wondering what all the fuss was about until the "magic barrel" portion...and I was like "oh" <_<

-Legolas was...meh most of him I didn't mind but some of his fight scenes just seemed like silly, useless fluff.

-Smaug was really good but that section was a bit too drawn out.

-The Dol-Guldur section seemed forced and unnecessary.

Now the movie is enjoyable but it's definitely the weakest of the as yet available Middle Earth films IMO. 7/10

From Dusk till Dawn, liked the first half, could have made a good gangster movie, then the zombies came.....

Loved how Tarantino got in on that Salma Haik scene. If I was him, would have intentionally botched it ten times, just so we could do it 11 times!!

Huge Tarantino buff, loved all of the Bills, Django, Death proof and Inglorious Basterds.

Edited by CanucksSayEh

Catching Fire: 9/10

"There are survivors...there's no winners."

Wow. It helps to go in with zero expectations (especially given the disappointment that I felt the first movie was). This movie was just better in every single way, as all aspects were improved upon. The second book of the trilogy was the best in my opinion, so I may a be bit biased here.

Things that stood out:

- Jennifer Lawrence's performance, which was constricted to Kristen Stewart scowls in the first movie, was amazing here

- Finally some much needed grit and violence

- Special effects captured the imagination in the books perfectly without looking campy as it did in the first movie

- Strong supporting cast was made full use of, I do not think the movie would be nearly as good if not for the performances by Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Jena Malone, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Stanley Tucci

- Cinematography and soundtrack was on point. This part displays that particularly well, such a small change that added to the whole experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDrnRk-LAI

Only criticism: some of the dialogue by President Snow felt very heavy handed and over the top. I understand that he's meant to be menacing but it was on par with "Next time, Gadget...next time".

Overall, it was a great movie strong enough to stand without the books that doesn't pander to the niche teenage audience.

Forgot that I watched this. 4/10.

i agree fully .. i went with 5 of my buds and I loved it .. maybe one of my fave superhero movies ;. 4 out of my 5 friends hated it .. just hated it .. shows you how different peoples tastes are .

TBH I would have been like your friends had I not gone into it expecting a shitty movie. I still feel like they're creaming way to much into the movies in such a short span of film but it was much better than I anticipated.

It gets a solid 7/10 from me. :)

Cabin in the Woods 8.5/10Was in the mood for a horror flick, and watched this on a whim. Was not disappointed. Most fun I've had watching a film in a long time.

Can watch that film over and over again. Was nice to see a new horror film come out that you just know will stand the test of time.

The Conjuring - 4/10 I was really hoping for something more due to the favourable ratings this movie was getting. Unfortunately it was totally unoriginal and I am shocked people actually liked it. One of the worst dialogues of the genre, and that's saying something.

Ichi the Killer - 6.5/10 I would have prefered the movie be entirely about Kakihara and the Yakuza than have Ichi in it at all. Even then it was alright, but Ichi (the character) was so over the top, it kind of ruined it for me.

Elysium - 3/10

Not really sure where to begin with this.

Cons:

- terrible dialogue

- poor execution of an interesting idea

- Jodie Foster: awful casting choice. North America, playing a French woman, speaking english with a hint of French accent. I know she's bilingual, but she did not sound natural at all. I mean, why not just go the simple route and cast French actress? Quite a few to choose from: Eva Green, Marion Coutillard, Juliette Binoche. Even English/French actress Kristin Scott Thomas would have worked.

Pros:

- looked good

- it certainly was a movie

Edited by Monty