The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Lagaan - 9.5/10

It has taken me 12 years, but I have finally watched Lagaan. Back in university (2001), I remember watching a clip of a song/dance segment. My friends and I had a good laugh and talked about it for days. Since then, I still remember watching it as it has stuck in my head ever since.

Well, thanks to Netflix, my wife and I spent the last week and a half getting through this 3 and a half hour epic. The story takes place in a small village in India in 1873 during the height of the British Empire in India. The story is simple: There has been a drought and the village cannot pay the upcoming taxes owed to the British. The town was set to pay double the tax owed, however, due to a outburst from Bhuvan (protaganist) regarding the British playing Cricket, there is a wager that is now in place. If the town can beat the British in a Cricket match, then they will not have to pay taxes in the province for three years. However, if they lose, then they will have to pay the empire triple the tax for the current year (which would decimate the townspeople).

This is the first Bollywood film that I have ever watched and I enjoyed every minute of it. The acting is good and the set pieces are really nice. However, it is the music and the choreography that shines in Lagaan.

The music is done by A.R. Rahman, known to North American audiences for the music he composed for Slumbdog Millionaire. Lagaan's music really shines, as does the choreography. It is during these times where the story and characters are developed the most. You can really see how much time and effort went into choreographing all the dance pieces.

If there is one negative I can say about Lagaan, it's that the dialogue can be quite juvenile (simple) at times. However, I really do not know if I can judge the writing that fairly because this is the first Bollywood film I have ever watched, as I'm not too familiar with Indian films. Though I have travelled quite a bit in my life, this is one of the few cultures I have had the least amount of contact with and know the least about.

Lagaan, to me, is one of the most enjoyable films I have watched in a long time. And again, the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic and is one of the rare times where had the music been average, the movie would not have been nearly as good.

WARNING: Again, the film is nearly 4 hours in length, so it will take time. However, it is broken down nicely. The last hour and a half or so is strictly on the Cricket game alone, so you can watch in spurts.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Before Midnight 7.5/10

Short and simple like the first two movies, not for everyone but I love them. For the most part its just Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy talking while walking around a small peninsula in Greece. I hope they keep making a new one every ten years, it's like a fictional version of Seven-Up.

Ponyo 9.5/10

Watched it with my family the other day, and it further solidified my belief that Studio Ghibli is the pinnacle of animated films.

Definitely a better version of "The Little Mermaid" than Disney's. I didn't give me the sense of the moral of the story being "You should change who you are so other people will like you" like the Disney version did.

My only actual issue was that there were slight pacing problems at times during the film. The voice acting, music, and animation were all top notch, plus it gives you a sense of wonder that can only be seen in animated films of the highest calibre.

But I suppose I shouldn't expect anything less than excellence from Hayao Miyazaki.

Edited by Alchemy Time

Lagaan - 9.5/10

It has taken me 12 years, but I have finally watched Lagaan. Back in university (2001), I remember watching a clip of a song/dance segment. My friends and I had a good laugh and talked about it for days. Since then, I still remember watching it as it has stuck in my head ever since.

Well, thanks to Netflix, my wife and I spent the last week and a half getting through this 3 and a half hour epic. The story takes place in a small village in India in 1873 during the height of the British Empire in India. The story is simple: There has been a drought and the village cannot pay the upcoming taxes owed to the British. The town was set to pay double the tax owed, however, due to a outburst from Bhuvan (protaganist) regarding the British playing Cricket, there is a wager that is now in place. If the town can beat the British in a Cricket match, then they will not have to pay taxes in the province for three years. However, if they lose, then they will have to pay the empire triple the tax for the current year (which would decimate the townspeople).

This is the first Bollywood film that I have ever watched and I enjoyed every minute of it. The acting is good and the set pieces are really nice. However, it is the music and the choreography that shines in Lagaan.

The music is done by A.R. Rahman, known to North American audiences for the music he composed for Slumbdog Millionaire. Lagaan's music really shines, as does the choreography. It is during these times where the story and characters are developed the most. You can really see how much time and effort went into choreographing all the dance pieces.

If there is one negative I can say about Lagaan, it's that the dialogue can be quite juvenile (simple) at times. However, I really do not know if I can judge the writing that fairly because this is the first Bollywood film I have ever watched, as I'm not too familiar with Indian films. Though I have travelled quite a bit in my life, this is one of the few cultures I have had the least amount of contact with and know the least about.

Lagaan, to me, is one of the most enjoyable films I have watched in a long time. And again, the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic and is one of the rare times where had the music been average, the movie would not have been nearly as good.

WARNING: Again, the film is nearly 4 hours in length, so it will take time. However, it is broken down nicely. The last hour and a half or so is strictly on the Cricket game alone, so you can watch in spurts.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

That movie is a classic for people who love cricket or are born into an indian culture. Do you understand Hindi? Or did you just have the subtitles on ?

That movie is a classic for people who love cricket or are born into an indian culture. Do you understand Hindi? Or did you just have the subtitles on ?

Subtitles. Only understand english and french.

Subtitles. Only understand english and french.

Ooo well that explains the simple dialogue my friend, see there's some things that are perceived much different when said in say for Hindi then actually read in English subtitles. Other then that glad you enjoyed it because that movie was worth the watch and the music was also really amazing.

Edited by Kesbomb

Ooo well that explains the simple dialogue my friend, see there's some things that are perceived much different when said in say for Hindi then actually read in English subtitles. Other then that glad you enjoyed it because that movie was worth the watch and the music was also really amazing.

And that's precisely why I didn't dock it that much at all. Everything gets lost in translation and I knew that the dialogue must have been partially because of that. Otherwise, just a fantastic film.

The fact that the British woman lives the rest of her life alone was cruel, but funny.

And that's precisely why I didn't dock it that much at all. Everything gets lost in translation and I knew that the dialogue must have been partially because of that. Otherwise, just a fantastic film.

The fact that the British woman lives the rest of her life alone was cruel, but funny.

Yea I know what you mean, if you enjoyed lagaan I recommend you watch movies like ghajini, veer zaara, or kal ho na ho. All are very fascinating films with well written storylines that keep you entertained even through the full 3 hours lol. Although 2 of those are particularly about love/romance but I never thought a movie about this could still be so interesting. Anyways glad you liked lagaan it's was a pretty epic movie imo.

Yea I know what you mean, if you enjoyed lagaan I recommend you watch movies like ghajini, veer zaara, or kal ho na ho. All are very fascinating films with well written storylines that keep you entertained even through the full 3 hours lol. Although 2 of those are particularly about love/romance but I never thought a movie about this could still be so interesting. Anyways glad you liked lagaan it's was a pretty epic movie imo.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check them out.

Lagaan is good

first song is amazing, though

Majority of the songs are amazing. It took time for me to really enjoy Ghanan Ghanan, but my favourites are definitely Mitwa and Radha Kaise Na jale.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 7/10

I love Steve Carrell, this movie was just so heartfelt and honestly quite funny.

Robot & Frank - 6/10

Kinda boring, but relate-able to anyone else who is dealing with aging relatives.

So everyone?

Man of Steel: 9.75/10 - Finally a movie that does justice to the Superman franchise. Great job of explaining the story of Krypton etc.

Now You See Me: 7/10 - Not a big fan of the plot, and the actors didn't really seem to fit their role (My Opinion) Pretty boring overall.