The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 26/03/2016 at 5:36 AM, Svengali said:

Do you guys have go-to movies when you've had too much on screen violence and need a break?
Last week there was no balance in what I watched, it was just straight violence for six films in a row ending with The Hateful Eight which was completely demoralizing. So this week I ended up rewatching Steve Martin in Planes Trains and Automobiles, and LA Story (toot), and then some secret guilty pleasure romcoms as a way to wash off all the bits of brains that Tarantino had sprayed all over me. And not surprisingly, I was in a much better mood this week compared to last.

And Adam West was indeed the best Batman, I liked watching the reruns as a kid ...

Airplane and then the first instalment of the Naked Gun. Cured.

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2016 at 7:22 PM, Monty said:

Batman vs. Superman - 3/10

Affleck certainly did the best that he could.

The 'best that he could' would have been not signing up his sorry ass and ugly mug to portray the best superhero of all time.

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

The 'best that he could' would have been not signing up his sorry ass and ugly mug to portray the best superhero of all time.

Totally agree. What I was more referring to was that he actually wasn't the worst in the film. Was he great? No, as nothing in the film was "great". However, his acting and writing for his character were far from the reasons why BvS was absolutely forgettable and a real mess of a film.

49 minutes ago, Monty said:

Totally agree. What I was more referring to was that he actually wasn't the worst in the film. Was he great? No, as nothing in the film was "great". However, his acting and writing for his character were far from the reasons why BvS was absolutely forgettable and a real mess of a film.

Thanks for the warning.

This is a movie I should be excited about given the topic.

But I am pretty sure I can wait for it to be on Netflix.............and on a night I am really bored. ::D 

48 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Any recommendations on Canadian Netflix? 

Hmm. For documentaries, I highly recommend "Winter on Fire". It's truly remarkable.

For films, can't go wrong with "Galaxy Quest".

On 3/26/2016 at 5:36 AM, Svengali said:

Do you guys have go-to movies when you've had too much on screen violence and need a break?
Last week there was no balance in what I watched, it was just straight violence for six films in a row ending with The Hateful Eight which was completely demoralizing. So this week I ended up rewatching Steve Martin in Planes Trains and Automobiles, and LA Story (toot), and then some secret guilty pleasure romcoms as a way to wash off all the bits of brains that Tarantino had sprayed all over me. And not surprisingly, I was in a much better mood this week compared to last.

And Adam West was indeed the best Batman, I liked watching the reruns as a kid ...

Watched Good Dinosaur with the kids this weekend, probably give it 7/10. Exceedingly beautiful to look at with some good moments, engaging main characters etc but it doesn't really tread any new ground story-wise. 

So definitely a notch below Pixar's more memorable, more original and best works, but still entertaining, pretty to watch and touching.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Overall I liked this movie. I can understand why people didn't love it tho. There were problems with the film however the things I liked still made it overall a good watch for me.

For me the main problem was that the execution of things wasn't great; there was a lot that this movie needed to do and I think they didn't have enough time to fit everything in. Some things should have been given more time to play out rather than rush other things.The editing was weird at times, there wasn't great transition from scene to scene so it felt like we were getting sharp cuts especially in the beginning half of the movie. There were some decisions that I wasn't a fan of. Makes me wonder if Snyder will be kept on to do both Justice League movies? I think Part 1 starts in a few weeks so he'll do that but I wonder if they'll keep him for Part 2. 

I think Batman was awesome, Ben did a great job. The fight sequences were awesome. Loved Batman's fighting style. thought it was way better than what we got in the Dark Knight trilogy. I really liked Wonder Woman too, her fight scene was great too. Also they used Gal well, she didn't overshadow nor did she ruin the film like some people were saying when she was cast. Superman was alright, I think he wasn't handled that great. Cavill did well with what he was given but I think they could have done more with Superman. Lex was whatever, I didn't mind him altho the weird jumpy thing he kept doing while talking was a bit too much imo.

I think the Batman stuff was my favorite part along with Wonderwoman so that saved the film for me. And overall, I'm still excited to see where these movies go in the future so it didn't ruin my interest in the universe they are creating. 

Spoliers :

Spoiler

Loved that Batman stuff especially the scene when he went to save Martha. I can see why people have a problem with him killing people. But this is supposed to be a more brutal Batman. Maybe they could have quickly just addressed it. Have Alred say why are you killing? Bruce could of replied like they killed Robin so it's what I have to do. I dunno something like that so it's like ok, that's why he changed his no kill rule. It didn't bother me tho, I enjoyed seeing the more brutal Batman.

Really liked Wonderwoman too in the Doomsday fight, she kicked ass! We'll have to wait and see if Gal is capable to carrying a whole film but so far she made me excited to see more of WW instead of the opposite so that's good.

I watched it last night, and the thing that stood out the least is Superman. Was he happy at any point of the film? Like all I remember is him being sad and questioning himself. Which is ok, but I didn't want that to be all he did. His death shocked me but didn't hit me emotionally. WIsh it had, i think part of that was I just didn't love the character and get into it as much as the Batman character.

Decision I didn't like was that Superman's reason for fighting Batman was that Martha got kidnapped :/

We got the reasoning and thinking behind Batman wanting to fight Superman but I which it had been the same for Superman. I wanted Superman to actually want to fight Batman because of differences in the way that they see justice.  But it felt like in that scene he didn't want to fight instead he was forced to. Not a fan of that decision. The fight was great, Batman was savage and I liked that there was a clear winner. The both mom's named Martha thing was kinda cheesy. I didn't hate it but they could of thought of something better.

I wish they would stop making Lois Lane a damsel in distress all the time especially when it's unnecessary. The scene where she jumps into the water to get the kryptonite spear and she ends up needing Superman to save her was so unnecessary. Why couldn't she have gone into the water and retrieved the spear on her own. Then called out to Superman and then he would come get the spear and go kill Doomsday. They didn't need to have the Lois needs to be saved again moment.

The sequence in the desert was cool. I didn't like the transition to it as it was out of no where. Also unless you know who the Flash is it probably made no sense and you could barely even hear what the Flash was saying. And then Bruce acted like nothing even happened. So that was a cool scene that should have been handled better. The hyped Aquaman's appearance so much and it was like a 5 second clip lol. But still I look forward to seeing these characters more.

Edited by believe in blue forever

On 2016-03-26 at 2:49 AM, g_bassi13 said:

Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice - 5/10

It didn't suck. I guess. Not totally at least. It worked in parts as a Superman movie, and did a far better job with the character and handling his heroism than Man of Steel did. The two things they did were fix the aforementioned heroism and presentation of him and his morals, and not blow up all of Metropolis while defending it. Like they went out of the way to keep pointing out that civilians were out of harms way as they fought in abandoned areas and the such, as an obvious response to the harsh criticism to Man of Steel's gratuitous use of people dying and buildings demolishing for the sake of action. And thank God for that.

As for Batman, I think too many people flipped out when Affleck got the role, and that shouldn't have been the sticking point. He was perfectly serviceable in the role, and whatever expectations come with it. Good, even.  Maybe because I was sick of seeing Christian Bale by the end of Dark Knight Rises, so this was okay.

... Problem with Batman was Batman himself. Character was easily gullible and mislead. He killed people without a second thought, despite it being his mantra not to. That, and branding his victims was totally out of place, among other things. No explanations for the character change. He just woke up one day more violent, completely lethal, and increasingly suspicious of Superman for increasingly weaker reasons.

They didn't have to twist around Batman's character to find a reason to get him to be at odds with Superman. They have a natural opposition in stances, without having to make up stuff like that.

In tone, it was just far too serious, all of the time. Watching 2.5 hours straight of such a thing is just draining, and not in any kind of fulfilling way. One piece of drama linking to another piece of drama, with no chance to let me or the movie breathe. 

The one thing that kept bringing down this movie more than anything, just completely killed it (not in that kicked ass kind of way), was Jesse Eisenberg, and his Lex Luthor. Dear &^@#ing lord. I complain about anything Eisenberg is in, but this was a new level for me. Never has he grated on my nerves quite like this. Not in a effective "I want them to take this bad guy down" kind of way did I want to see Lex die, but a complete "shut up and get off my screen" manner of speaking was what I was thinking. So eccentric that he was over the top for a comic book villain. He always verged on breaking into full "Architect from the Matrix" territory, the way he kept prattling on and on without actually saying a word. He ruined the movie every time he stepped on screen.

But a lot of the casting in general was just off. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman was just a vacuum of charisma. Outside of not looking the part, she couldn't act the part, or convince me in any way that she makes sense in the spot. She only existed as a means of teasing a Justice League movie, so she wasn't expected to add anything, but she did the opposite of give me any faith in it moving forward. 

The whole Justice League tie in just felt off altogether. I really could have done with never seeing Jason Momoa on my screen again, let alone for a movie I could have been interested in, let alone as a hero who is already set up to fail in Aquaman. Those things, plus I really don't care about, or want to watch Cyborg in a movie with these guys as an original member or whatever such thing (that one's totally personal.)

Superman was almost great. The visuals and the action were pretty good. Batman needed to be better/more faithful. Justice League movie needed a far more convincing set up. And Lex Luthor was the absolute worst. That about sums up my feelings.

My rating could/should maybe be worse, and I think my words describe it more harshly than it does reflect that. I think I enjoyed certain parts of it enough. Though I'm almost certain I'll look back on it even more harshly in the future.

Batman was fine imo.

This Batman have probably been doing this sort of job for years now and throughout those years, he has seen a lot. Yes, his ideals are not to kill people, but i understand that he lost so much that he's on the verge of insanity and doesn't care for criminals anymore. The quotes of "You let your family die" or "You seen good people turn bad" speaks loudly to that. Do you remember the scene where Bruce look at his costume and then looks at another costume with Joker's writing on it? That was most likely Jason Todd's Robin suit who was "killed". That's why i believe that he simply doesn't care anymore because he's tired of losing his closed ones.

As for wanting Superman dead, he witnessed one of his business tower collapsing and killing many of his employees. That's why i'm not surprised that Batman wanted Superman dead, he saw what Superman did to his people and what he's able to do; he's simply afraid of the power of Superman. Also, Superman being framed for killing innocents and causing casualties played a huge role in shifting Batman.

Jesse Eisenberg played his role fine. But that was not Lex Luthor.

Gal Gadot definitely have the visuals and can pull off action scenes perfectly as Wonder Woman, but she whenever she speaks, it hurts.

I have no faith in Aquaman. Possibly Flash as well. Cyborg seems to look good.

On 3/26/2016 at 9:04 AM, Monty said:

It's interesting. When I was in my late teens and up to my mid twenties, I had no problem watching heavier movies, and they rarely (if ever) affected my mood. However, now in my mid 30s, life has more and more stresses, and I just can't take heavy films in those doses anymore. Just happier when I put on, say, "The Jerk".

Just realized that you mentioned The Jerk in this: Steve Martin to the rescue again. As for getting older, I sometimes feel like Deniro in Analyze This when he was watching commercials and breaking down ... (anything to do with fathers and sons plus sad music = I'm done for)

On 3/27/2016 at 8:27 AM, Down by the River said:

Airplane and then the first instalment of the Naked Gun. Cured.

Been so many years since I last watched Airplane, used to love it. Need to check it out again.

____

This is silly but I watched half of a GI Joe movie on tv in a state of total fascination that it exists, that it was actually made, that this incredibly expensive cgi festival of headache-inducing childish insanity was actually real. There was a massive underwater personal mini-sub battle with twirling dogfights spinning around firing missiles that had me completely amazed that hundreds of adults were involved in the creation of this ... And that awful Wayens brother also kept me watching for extra masochistic torture. I guess it's 0/10. But then again I enjoyed getting mad at it, so 1/10. Was an odd way to waste my time.

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

Watched Good Dinosaur with the kids this weekend, probably give it 7/10. Exceedingly beautiful to look at with some good moments, engaging main characters etc but it doesn't really tread any new ground story-wise. 

So definitely a notch below Pixar's more memorable, more original and best works, but still entertaining, pretty to watch and touching.

Watched it last night with the wife. Yeah, it was beautiful, but the rest had the "I've seen this all before" feeling to it. Not terrible, but not memorable, either. I'd say it's a 5/10, simply because with today's ability to create gorgeous looking films, that's not enough of a reason for me to bump up a score anymore; unless it's warranted (ie. Life of Pi).

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Watched it last night with the wife. Yeah, it was beautiful, but the rest had the "I've seen this all before" feeling to it. Not terrible, but not memorable, either. I'd say it's a 5/10, simply because with today's ability to create gorgeous looking films, that's not enough of a reason for me to bump up a score anymore; unless it's warranted (ie. Life of Pi).

I gave it a couple extra points because of the fermented berries scene and the willingness to 'middle finger' all the Helen Lovejoys out there :lol:

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I gave it a couple extra points because of the fermented berries scene and the willingness to 'middle finger' all the Helen Lovejoys out there :lol:

Do Christians not believe in dinosaurs? Because that's news to me.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

My apologies. Saw the "Helen Lovejoy" comment and that's what came to mind.

Psychedelic fermented berries...

helen_lovejoy.png

Out of curiosity, I googled about that scene and sure enough (and to my absolute pleasure) there were countless articles/blog entries/tweets of sheer outrage that they'd put that in a kid's movie ::D

Edited by J.R.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Psychedelic fermented berries...

helen_lovejoy.png

Out of curiosity, I googled about that scene and sure enough (and to my absolute pleasure) there were countless articles/blog entries/tweets of sheer outrage that they'd put that in a kid's movie ::D

Unbelievable. People have far too much time on their hands (says the guy who has over 6,700 posts on a hockey forum).

That said, my wife is now 4 months pregnant, and she is beginning to show signs of this eye-rollingly bad mom behavior, in which I've had to remind her to "cool it already". I'm building a 7 foot wooden post in the baby room with a bunch of signs on it, showing different directions to fantasy locations in books (ie. Hobbiton, Diagon Alley, 100 Acre Wood, Badger's House, etc). Anyway, I told my wife that one of the many signs I'm making, one of them is "Sleepy Hollow". Well, she had a little fit over that. "That's far too scary for a baby!" Me? "Settle down. I think when our child is first introduced to the 'Headless Horseman' story, they'll know it's not real."

Mom's, amirite?

Also watched Straight Outta Compton last night. Going to give it 6/10.

The beginning was good, some of the touring/media stuff was good but then it seemed to veer off of telling the story of the birth of NWA to selling a brand and it went downhill from there (and ran too long IMO). If they'd not made it so obvious an attempt, this could have easily been an 8+ out of 10 movie.

Even worse was the increasing polishing of the 3 main characters that occurred simultaneous with the downhill story/brand selling. That and Ren and Yella are pretty much foot notes (as well as the secondary characters of family/wives/girlfriends etc feeling like glorified extras). What is there is largely well acted though.

It has it's moments but IMO they dropped the ball on making a more honest, grittier film even if it exposed some warts.

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

Unbelievable. People have far too much time on their hands (says the guy who has over 6,700 posts on a hockey forum).

That said, my wife is now 4 months pregnant, and she is beginning to show signs of this eye-rollingly bad mom behavior, in which I've had to remind her to "cool it already". I'm building a 7 foot wooden post in the baby room with a bunch of signs on it, showing different directions to fantasy locations in books (ie. Hobbiton, Diagon Alley, 100 Acre Wood, Badger's House, etc). Anyway, I told my wife that one of the many signs I'm making, one of them is "Sleepy Hollow". Well, she had a little fit over that. "That's far too scary for a baby!" Me? "Settle down. I think when our child is first introduced to the 'Headless Horseman' story, they'll know it's not real."

Mom's, amirite?

My wife is constantly rolling her eyes at me or giving me an disapproving glare. Get used to it Monty :lol:

Edited by J.R.