The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Since this has turned into the "Rate the last movie/TV show"...

The Last Ship: 6.5-8.5/10

aka - BSG meets zombie apocalypse

couple episodes in, and I really can't make up my mind - on the one hand the science and specs are so horrible, it has to take place in another dimension with different laws of physics... on the other hand, once you accept a suspended disbelief, it's a really incredibly post-apocalyptic drama that has a lot of potential.

The casting/acting is terrific, the plot line is pretty cool and I can't wait to see what happens next... despite the annoying 'goofs' that seem to pop up 4 or 5 times an episode, I'm still watching more... plus, it has Jayne from Firefly (Adam Baldwin).

This show (so far) does a great job of making me think "What would I do in that situation"...

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Season 2

7 episodes in, and it's just as solid as season 1. Jane Krakowski wasn't used a ton in the first season, but she is central in season 2, as she fights to become rich again. 

But more importantly, the last 20 seconds of episode 6 is the most glorious piece of television I have ever seen. If you grew up in the 80s/90s, it's the best thing you will ever experience.

Manson Family Vacation 7/10

Couple of brothers reconnecting during a Charlie-themed roadtrip. Decent but forgettable.

Locke 7.5/10

Strange documentary where they followed Tom Hardy around for one night as he drives England exploring his obsession with concrete.

On 4/16/2016 at 8:33 PM, Monty said:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Season 2

7 episodes in, and it's just as solid as season 1. Jane Krakowski wasn't used a ton in the first season, but she is central in season 2, as she fights to become rich again. 

But more importantly, the last 20 seconds of episode 6 is the most glorious piece of television I have ever seen. If you grew up in the 80s/90s, it's the best thing you will ever experience.

cool...i had never heard of this show til i read yer review.....im gonna have to check it out in the fall when i re-start my netflix subscription for the winter.

Mockingjay 2 - 7/10 (though I think that's somewhat to do with low expectations :lol: )

Better than the first MJ as it felt a little more cohesive. Where that one seemed to have pacing issues and felt stretched, this one seemed to barrel along at a good pace as well.

Still not going to wow anyone with it's intelligence or subtlety and it's still largely predictable and unsurprising at just about every turn :lol: That said, it's a half decent popcorn flick.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Mockingjay 2 - 7/10 (though I think that's somewhat to do with low expectations :lol: )

Better than the first MJ as it felt a little more cohesive. Where that one seemed to have pacing issues and felt stretched, this one seemed to barrel along at a good pace as well.

Still not going to wow anyone with it's intelligence or subtlety and it's still largely predictable and unsurprising at just about every turn :lol: That said, it's a half decent popcorn flick.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion.

That movie was borderline unwatchable.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Monty said:

You're entitled to your wrong opinion.

That movie was borderline unwatchable.

Did you view it how one would view Starship Troopers? :lol:

Maybe watching J-Law just gets me in a generous spirit...

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Did you view it how one would view Starship Troopers? :lol:

Maybe watching J-Law just gets me in a generous spirit...

giphy.gif

I did not, no. I actually enjoyed the other films, and I knew this one was going to be "meh". I didn't expect it to be the hot mess that it turned out being.

I also don't understand the whole Jennifer Lawrence love, either.

• Upvote 1

Better Call Saul

Final episode was terrific. Looking forward to who Mike will be introduced to next season

Spoiler

Gustavo Fring

, as well as the great ending to the episode between Jimmy and Chuck.

I forget how season 1 ended, but this season ended in a way that was very "Breaking Bad(ish)". Not surprising though, as it takes a few season to get invested in characters and to build a storyline.

What I love about BCS is that Vince Gilligan has found a good balance between setting Jimmy (Saul) apart and making everything in his plot to do with him and his transition into "Saul". While Mike's storyline is specifically about him becoming a more hardened "hire gun" and his introduction into the world that was central in "Breaking Bad".

Demolition Man - Inspired Joy-Joy Feelings/10

Been a few years since I last watched it so I put it on again last night. Right away, my wife of 12 years says "What is this?" I couldn't believe after all these years that I had been watching it time and time again with her never around to see it.

Seeing her watch it for the first time was a wonderful experience. She absolutely lost it at the "3 Sea Shells" part and the fact that they listen to old, OLD jingles "Armor Hotdogs!"

Icing on the cake was this morning when I slept through my alarm. Rushing to get ready and was looking for my keys. She heard me muttering and said, "What seems to be your boggle?"

That's the love of my life.

• Upvote 2

On April 18, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Monty said:

I did not, no. I actually enjoyed the other films, and I knew this one was going to be "meh". I didn't expect it to be the hot mess that it turned out being.

I also don't understand the whole Jennifer Lawrence love, either.

I think it's mostly cause people find her relatable, with how she talks about loving food and blah blah blah. 

I didnt think mockingjay was as bad as you do but it definitely wasn't the best. It was disappointing after a strong start to the series IMO.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I think it's mostly cause people find her relatable, with how she talks about loving food and blah blah blah. 

I didnt think mockingjay was as bad as you do but it definitely wasn't the best. It was disappointing after a strong start to the series IMO.

She talks too?! :P

I mostly thinks she's pretty darned good looking. YMMV.

Though she wouldn't dethrone the gal on the top of my 'list':

natalie-portman-actress-beautiful-girl-s

• Upvote 2

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:21 AM, Monty said:

Demolition Man - Inspired Joy-Joy Feelings/10

Been a few years since I last watched it so I put it on again last night. Right away, my wife of 12 years says "What is this?" I couldn't believe after all these years that I had been watching it time and time again with her never around to see it.

Seeing her watch it for the first time was a wonderful experience. She absolutely lost it at the "3 Sea Shells" part and the fact that they listen to old, OLD jingles "Armor Hotdogs!"

Icing on the cake was this morning when I slept through my alarm. Rushing to get ready and was looking for my keys. She heard me muttering and said, "What seems to be your boggle?"

That's the love of my life.

I'm just going to keep on raving about how amazing Demolition Man is, as I just finished having lunch with my brother.

The plot holes in the movie are just fantastic, too. So John Spartan (Stallone) is sent to cryoprison, simply because a sadistic lunatic, who's a known serial murderer and rapist, happened to say that John Spartan may have knowingly killed hostages? He was saying this while he was in handcuffs and about to be put into a police car! And then the next scene is, John Spartan being frozen in cryostasis. So we are led to believe that he is being sent to prison on the word of a hardened criminal? One that is also being sent to prison for the exact same thing.

It's just such a fun movie.

Wife and I watched 'Lobster' this weekend. What a gloriously F'd up side show!:lol: I can't stop thinking about it 2 days later...yet I'm still not entirely sure what I watched!

Sad, funny, strange and prone to make you giggle throughout but DEFINITELY not for everyone. I actually joked to my wife while we were watching that I should recommend it to my sister (whom I'm positive would HATE it) just to see/hear what her reaction would be :lol:

8.5/10

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

Wife and I watched 'Lobster' this weekend. What a gloriously F'd up side show!:lol: I can't stop thinking about it 2 days later...yet I'm still not entirely sure what I watched!

Sad, funny, strange and prone to make you giggle throughout but DEFINITELY not for everyone. I actually joked to my wife while we were watching that I should recommend it to my sister (whom I'm positive would HATE it) just to see/hear what her reaction would be :lol:

8.5/10

Yeah, I just watched it on Sunday, and I'm also not quite sure what I watched. Certainly didn't hate it, but yeah, really strange. Didn't laugh, just thought it was incredibly weird. This is one of those films where I can't even give it a rating out of 10. I'm glad(?) I watched it, but I can't see myself ever watching it again or really recommending it to anyone I know. Mostly because I don't have any friends.

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah, I just watched it on Sunday, and I'm also not quite sure what I watched. Certainly didn't hate it, but yeah, really strange. Didn't laugh, just thought it was incredibly weird. This is one of those films where I can't even give it a rating out of 10. I'm glad(?) I watched it, but I can't see myself ever watching it again or really recommending it to anyone I know. Mostly because I don't have any friends.

Awe Monty... :P

Only part I really didn't like was: 

Spoiler

THE dog scene in the hotel bathroom.

I understand why they did it for the purpose of her character...but JEBUS :sick::(

Otherwise I was giggling throughout at the absurdity and awkwardness of it all. It was like a Wes Anderson movie on steroids :lol: