Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Awe Monty... :P

Only part I really didn't like was: 

Reveal hidden contents

THE dog scene in the hotel bathroom.

I understand why they did it for the purpose of her character...but JEBUS :sick::(

Otherwise I was giggling throughout at the absurdity and awkwardness of it all. It was like a Wes Anderson movie on steroids :lol:

That was one of the hardest scenes to watch, it totally yanked me out of the flick. It was a good, but very strange film. Definitely not for everyone.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Awe Monty... :P

Only part I really didn't like was: 

Reveal hidden contents

THE dog scene in the hotel bathroom.

I understand why they did it for the purpose of her character...but JEBUS :sick::(

Otherwise I was giggling throughout at the absurdity and awkwardness of it all. It was like a Wes Anderson movie on steroids :lol:

Sorry, I lied. I have one friend, and it's my French Bulldog, "Alice". Was hugging her a lot closer after that scene.

• Upvote 1

midnight special: 6/10

first slip up from jeff nichols (take shelter, mud). perfectly mediocre movie.

it's predictable. and being predictable isn't necessarily a bad thing if the execution is unique or stylish or clever or something. but i wasnt sold on anything in this movie except michael shannon and the other adult actors.

vinyl, season 1: 7.5/10

overall, pretty good. some great music, some great acting, some great production value. good/interesting plot. but sometimes it seems super bogged down with references and kind of a bizarre interpretation of history.

i'll definitely tune in for season 2, but i'm not psyched for it or anything

Last Man on Earth

While nothing could touch that episode from a few weeks ago when Carol made the "Masburatorium" for Tandy, as far comedy goes; this previous episode was absolutely fantastic. The amount of heart this show manages to pull off is truly impressive. I think part of this is due to the fact that you don't see it coming, due to where the show started from. However, Todd is such a tremendous character, becoming everything to everyone. 

As for Tandy and Carol, it's amazing just how impactful and heartwarming one line can be. You hear it all the time, but it takes a talented writing team to make it come across like it's actually meaningful to a viewer.

I think Last Man on Earth has been pretty solid since coming back from it's break. Though Silicon Valley came back strong as it does to remind me that it's the best comedy on TV today. The first 2 seasons started of on a decent enough level before they ramped up and rocked it by the time each finale came around. So when they start as they already did this time, it has me even more excited about where they can take it.

Either way with these two shows on TV, there's at least something to make up for NBC's Thursday Night comedy block completely falling apart. At one point they had Community, The Office, Parks and Recreation, and 30 Rock on at the same time. 

It's not the same, but for at least a couple of weeks they'll make for a solid follow up to Game of Thrones on Sunday. 

Going on a journey to find half-decent comedies outside of those two. Starting with Angie Tribeca. Show looks wonderfully stupid in a good way.

56 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Going on a journey to find half-decent comedies outside of those two. Starting with Angie Tribeca. Show looks wonderfully stupid in a good way.

A couple of episodes in, it looks like it's pretty much a faster paced/less clever version of Police Squad/Naked Gun. Which is fine. It's obviously inspired by it. Seems like it's crossed with a bit of Mel Brooks as well. It's about as stylistically similar to one of those classic non sequitur parody styles as you could get on a modern half hour TV show.

The casting ranges from decent to great. I think some people are better with that deadpan delivery than others, but everyone at least gets how they're supposed to be treating it. The cast itself is pretty stacked. I just watched an episode that guest starred Adam Scott and James Franco, on top of a regular cast that has Rashida Jones and Alfred Molina.

And it's a lot of fun to watch, for me at least. Don't know that I'd outright recommend it, but it's a unique specimen. 

I am really happy to write movie review for 'The Jungle Book'. It was a fantastic movie with the performance of the kid as Mowgli and the behind scene performers like animation experts and direction crew. They have done even better to make it as a blockbuster movie of the year. The animation seems to be real. The full credits goes to the experts.

Thanks for providing such a wonderful experience :)

Edited by deanjeffery

13 hours ago, deanjeffery said:

I am really happy to write movie review for 'The Jungle Book'. It was a fantastic movie with the performance of the kid as Mowgli and the behind scene performers like animation experts and direction crew. They have done even better to make it as a blockbuster movie of the year. The animation seems to be real. The full credits goes to the experts.

Thanks for providing such a wonderful experience :)

I'm actually REALLY looking forward to watching that :ph34r:

On April 27, 2016 at 3:59 AM, GLASSJAW said:

vinyl, season 1: 7.5/10

overall, pretty good. some great music, some great acting, some great production value. good/interesting plot. but sometimes it seems super bogged down with references and kind of a bizarre interpretation of history.

i'll definitely tune in for season 2, but i'm not psyched for it or anything

Watching it now and definitely enjoying it overall.

what examples would you put forward for "bizarre interpretation of history"?

im not researching as I watch.  Maybe you have done some digging?

i just finished the episode where rich loses Hannibal.  In this episode at the end, Lou reed is playing a show at a club. However, Lou reed is portrayed akin to those gutter New York punk bands of the era.  I found this a bit strange.  I've listened to most everything Lou reed has put out and I would never describe his

music as punk.  

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

i just finished the episode where rich loses Hannibal.  In this episode at the end, Lou reed is playing a show at a club. However, Lou reed is portrayed akin to those gutter New York punk bands of the era.  I found this a bit strange.  I've listened to most everything Lou reed has put out and I would never describe his

music as punk.  

I haven't watched it, but the Velvet Underground, New York Dolls, and the Stooges were the original punk movement in 1970 USA. Their music may not sound like it, but when bands like the Ramones and Sex Pistols draw inspiration from what you did I guess you get a bit absorbed into that New York street punk and glam rock definition by proxy. David Bowie and the Rolling Stones were a big part of that early scene as well. 

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

I haven't watched it, but the Velvet Underground, New York Dolls, and the Stooges were the original punk movement in 1970 USA. Their music may not sound like it, but when bands like the Ramones and Sex Pistols draw inspiration from what you did I guess you get a bit absorbed into that New York street punk and glam rock definition by proxy. David Bowie and the Rolling Stones were a big part of that early scene as well. 

Thanks for the info.  No disrespect intended but I'm fairly familiar with that era and its contributors.

the stooges, Bowie, Lou reed/velvet underground, Ramones are bands I've listened a lot to.

brian eno, Bowie, iggy and Lou reed have all collaborated at times on certain projects back then.

to be honest I thought the closing scene with the band playing was maybe the New York dolls as the character, rich, had mentioned them in the show.  The music was definitely the punk sound of the era but the song being played was "white heat", composed by Lou reed.  The singer had makeup on, and was not playing guitar, and as I said the rendition was more punk sounding than the velvet underground recording.  As well Lou reed is known as a guitarist and vocalist.

another character, Andy, had mentioned earlier that she was doing some work with Lou reed later on that day.

perhaps it was just a made for tv modification of Lou reed and the song.

16 hours ago, riffraff said:

Watching it now and definitely enjoying it overall.

what examples would you put forward for "bizarre interpretation of history"?

im not researching as I watch.  Maybe you have done some digging?

music as punk.  

I'm more specifically referring to the whole "Dirty Bits" thing and their image/style - There's one episode with a bit of an easter egg, like, you see Joey Ramone in his first glam rock band playing on stage, so we're sorta meant to believe that the Dirty Bits pre-date the Ramones and CBGB? Or that the English were doing that punk rock sound/image before the Ramones? I just don't really buy that 

I understand WHY they do it, they do it so they can make the record label seem like it was THERE for all the new genres being formed (punk, hip hop, disco, etc.), but I just don't really like how they make it seem like filthy rich music executives were at all these arty, punk events, discussing their merits. These styles of music were born on the streets and performed in front of like 15 people for a long time, not a bunch of record label heads

and if the Dirty Bits are meant to be based on people like Richard Hell, then if you are familiar with Richard Hell's music, and bands like Television and stuff, then you'll know that the Dirty Bits don't actually sound anything like the early/mid 70s punk music - they sound like some kinda lame 90s stuff, or something 

Anyway, its just being nitpicky. I enjoyed it, just wasn't crazy about the Dirty Bits aspect and how so many historical moments are made to seem like they were major events that studio execs were attending, or were discovering by chance

Edited by GLASSJAW

On April 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM, riffraff said:

Fitbit is lame lol.

Or those crossfit commercials....seriously; what is crossfit?  Wow? I'm good at exercising? 

Fitbit and an Apple Watch aren't the same. Fitbit is to motivate you to move. When I had my stroke my brother and sister-in-law gave me one. I'm doing up to 8 to 10km walking and helps me lose weight.  I've lost almost 25 lbs. over almost 6 months. And hopefully I'll be on the way back to the shape I was 20 years ago. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I'm more specifically referring to the whole "Dirty Bits" thing and their image/style - There's one episode with a bit of an easter egg, like, you see Joey Ramone in his first glam rock band playing on stage, so we're sorta meant to believe that the Dirty Bits pre-date the Ramones and CBGB? Or that the English were doing that punk rock sound/image before the Ramones? I just don't really buy that 

I understand WHY they do it, they do it so they can make the record label seem like it was THERE for all the new genres being formed (punk, hip hop, disco, etc.), but I just don't really like how they make it seem like filthy rich music executives were at all these arty, punk events, discussing their merits. These styles of music were born on the streets and performed in front of like 15 people for a long time, not a bunch of record label heads

and if the Dirty Bits are meant to be based on people like Richard Hell, then if you are familiar with Richard Hell's music, and bands like Television and stuff, then you'll know that the Dirty Bits don't actually sound anything like the early/mid 70s punk music - they sound like some kinda lame 90s stuff, or something 

Anyway, its just being nitpicky. I enjoyed it, just wasn't crazy about the Dirty Bits aspect and how so many historical moments are made to seem like they were major events that studio execs were attending, or were discovering by chance

I agree a 100%.  You are not being fussy at all.  The dirty bits annoy me and the singer is the most poorly acted character on the show so far fwiw.

regading the way the dirty bits sound is also a flaw in the show as as you say they sound like an over produced mall punk band.  Tone alone it's not convincing.

as to your second paragraph, again, good point.  I actually spent the years between 16 and about 23 going to a lot of dyi type shows in basements, warehouses etc in front of very small crowds, often just the same group of friends and associates friends of the bands :)

Not once did I see anyone who resembled a suit.  Of course most of the bands were essentially terrible but the style of some could be heard years after in a watered down form in the radio.  By the late nineties the whole image and sound had changed to resemble what was going on in dumps years prior.  

The only bands/members that made it anywhere that I saw are the singer and drummer in black mountain who were in various other bands I watched before black mountain. And members of, I'm assuming the currently defunct, hot hot heat.

Edit

and thanks for the reply.  I was think that it was possible we were close in our observations.

Edited by riffraff

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Fitbit and an Apple Watch aren't the same. Fitbit is to motivate you to move. When I had my stroke my brother and sister-in-law gave me one. I'm doing up to 8 to 10km walking and helps me lose weight.  I've lost almost 25 lbs. over almost 6 months. And hopefully I'll be on the way back to the shape I was 20 years ago. 

And I hope so as well.

good on you for efforts.