The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 04/04/2016 at 9:15 AM, Monty said:

The Last Man on Earth

Just rating the last episode. I feel like I say this about most of the episodes, but this last one was the best in the series so far. I could not stop laughing throughout.

- Carol's "Masburatoruim" she made for Tandy

- Todd getting deeper, and deeper, and deeper into trouble with his lady situation.

- And last, but certainly not least,

Reveal hidden contents

Nut punch on Jason Sudeikis at the end

OMG, I have been laughing for days over the last second.

Funniest close of a sitcom episode ever???

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

OMG, I have been laughing for days over the last second.

Funniest close of a sitcom episode ever???

So good.

Spoiler

I didn't expect them to introduce his brother that quickly into the group after he just recently landed. Thought they would bounce back and forth a bit more. So it made it that much better when they surprised the viewers with the re-uniting so quickly. And then to top it off with that nut punch. It's those little things that they do with the show that go a long way in character development.

Perhaps I'm just saying this because I flat out love the show, but I don't know if there is a better comedy show out there. Loved Arrested Development and Flight of the Conchords, but this just might take the cake. The concept for the show just seems like it shouldn't last long. But Will Forte, Phil Lord, and Chris Miller have a terrific vision that is being executed perfectly.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Monty said:

So good.

Hide contents

I didn't expect them to introduce his brother that quickly into the group after he just recently landed. Thought they would bounce back and forth a bit more. So it made it that much better when they surprised the viewers with the re-uniting so quickly. And then to top it off with that nut punch. It's those little things that they do with the show that go a long way in character development.

Perhaps I'm just saying this because I flat out love the show, but I don't know if there is a better comedy show out there. Loved Arrested Development and Flight of the Conchords, but this just might take the cake. The concept for the show just seems like it shouldn't last long. But Will Forte, Phil Lord, and Chris Miller have a terrific vision that is being executed perfectly.

Another part that had me howling was Todd's reaction when...

Spoiler

...Phil asked him for a sample. "When a friend needs semen, he gets semen!"

Then there's Carol's acupuncture...oh man, when the blood came out I just lost it.

And let's not forget, "...that title is reserved for Erica's baby".

Edited by D-Money

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh yeah, and Carol's acupuncture...

Reveal hidden contents

...When the blood came out I lost it.

I must have missed that second part with Carol. Going to watch it again when I get home. Seriously, that whole episode was gold. Easily Todd's best episode of the series.

They have done a terrific job making the viewers really like Tandy in the second season and  showing just how unlikable and unhelpful the others are (aside from Carol). It was so focused on just how awful Tandy was in season 1, that you thought this was the way the series was going to go. But to completely switch it so he's the good guy is some crafty writing on their part; and a lot of that has to do with him being with Carol and how sweet and good she really is.

Edited by Monty

lady in the van: 7.5/10

cute movie. extremely well-written. great acting from the two leads (alex jennings, maggie smith). some very pleasant visuals and narrative techniques. but something about it keeps it from being a great comedy/drama

Batman vs Superman   9/10

Took my wife and 2 daughters to this, regardless of the negative critic reviews  (29% critics but 70% Flixter users like it). We gave it a chance and were very happy we did so.

- we thought the story was good and clear

- Ben Affleck did a wonderful job as Batman (and we are not big fans of him)

- the action scenes were great

- that guy who played Lex Luthor was also a good surprise (I can't stand him)

- Wonder Woman was pure awesome and kick ass! The music they played when she came on in the epic final fight scene was just the icing on the cake.

- one negative I would say is the brief video on the rest of the soon the be Justice League members was a bit cheesy (especially did not like Cyborg's clip).

The thing about DC is that it is more darker and serious than Marvel. I also think a lot of critics were bought by Disney/Marvel in giving it bad reviews. We loved it, it's a must see.

Chef (2014) - had a decently entertaining vibe despite some of the most badly acted father and son moments I've ever seen and an ending that was straight out of a Disney movie. 6/10. (there's only so much cheesiness that feel-good mambo music can distract you from)

Silent Running (1972) - I liked the idea of it, was like a decent little short story by Bradbury or Asimov. Bruce Dern was pretty good and the drones were neat (the retro sets and models were pure Monty-level) but the crew in the beginning was absolutely terrible. Also I consider Joan Baez one of the most awful and idiotic sounding singers of all time so having her songs running (quivering) throughout the movie drove me a little crazy ... 6.5/10

One of many intense Bruce Dern scenes:

Spoiler

Jimc-11.gif

16 hours ago, D-Money said:

Hide contents

Then there's Carol's acupuncture...oh man, when the blood came out I just lost it.

And let's not forget, "...that title is reserved for Erica's baby".

Finally watched it last night. We were laughing are arses of the entire episode! 

Pretty easily one of the best episodes of a great series so far.

Agreed on Carol's scene!

Loved Todd's jet ski scene and "toothpaste" line as well.

Edited by J.R.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Finally watched it last night. We were laughing are arses of the entire episode! 

Pretty easily one of the best episodes of a great series so far.

Agreed on Carol's scene!

Loved Todd's jet ski scene and "toothpaste" line as well.

When I watched it again yesterday, that little moment when Erica said Khakis/Car Keys, I laughed so friggin hard.

On 03/04/2016 at 10:37 PM, J.R. said:

I've always loved temple. Like you say, it's definitely 'different' and it's not the best 'film' of the trio... but it's just so damn fun to watch! 

Can't stand it. Shortround and that annoying chick screaming "Indyyyyyyyy!" every two minutes.

It pandered to children in the worst way and was awful for it.

Under The Skin 9/10

Second time seeing it, liked it even more. Maybe not quite as good as the book but they're so different there's not really a direct comparison. This is more of an 'inspired by' take on the story.

If you haven't seen it, it's a minimalist, moody sci-fi thriller with ScarJo quietly rolling around Edinburgh luring single men into the void, complete with a glitched out 70s horror score and a weird balance of documentary style filming and trippy cgi visuals. Not everyone's thing I'm sure but it's so, so good for what it is.

edit to add this is probably my favorite book --> movie adaptation combo since The Shining; can't think of another example where a visionary filmmaker took such great source material and completely reworked it into their own thing

Edited by The Bookie
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Bookie said:

Under The Skin 9/10

Second time seeing it, liked it even more. Maybe not quite as good as the book but they're so different there's not really a direct comparison. This is more of an 'inspired by' take on the story.

If you haven't seen it, it's a minimalist, moody sci-fi thriller with ScarJo quietly rolling around Edinburgh luring single men into the void, complete with a glitched out 70s horror score and a weird balance of documentary style filming and trippy cgi visuals. Not everyone's thing I'm sure but it's so, so good for what it is.

edit to add this is probably my favorite book --> movie adaptation combo since The Shining; can't think of another example where a visionary filmmaker took such great source material and completely reworked it into their own thing

Completely agree. I think the movie would have lost its magic if it left its eerie vagueness and leaned more towards the book in that regards. Apparently ScarJo just had a camera clipped on for many of the scenes that were improvised completely on the streets. Taking the ET element and putting it on the backseat gave the film this grimey look into gender dynamics that made me want to take a shower afterwards.

Both rendition works better for its medium. I tried to picture the film following the book closely and I just don't think it would have worked. 

Big nod to the soundtrack for elevating it to the next level too. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Flume said:

Completely agree. I think the movie would have lost its magic if it left its eerie vagueness and leaned more towards the book in that regards. Apparently ScarJo just had a camera clipped on for many of the scenes that were improvised completely on the streets. Taking the ET element and putting it on the backseat gave the film this grimey look into gender dynamics that made me want to take a shower afterwards.

Both rendition works better for its medium. I tried to picture the film following the book closely and I just don't think it would have worked. 

Big nod to the soundtrack for elevating it to the next level too. 

Yeah I don't think a straight adaptation would wind up as anything but hokey cheese. Maybe in the hands of the right director, Cary Fukunaga comes to mind just from that first season of True Detective, but I doubt it. One trait both movie/book share that I really like is they don't explain much, just throw you into it and show you what's happening and leave it to be figured out.

Creep 6/10

Always checking in with these found footage thriller/horrors seeing what's new but, this one didn't impress me too much. I'm a little confused by a lot of high ratings on rt. It was creative, at times almost dropping into little comedy skit-ish bits, the odd jump scare, a nice bend at the end, but nothing groundbreaking. Reminded me again of a movie I watched around halloween called Resolution, but that was better.

Better Call Saul

Latest episode was absolutely terrific. 

Spoiler

Poor Chuck

The difficult thing with the show to do is find a good balance between Saul/Jimmy and Mike. Both are such interesting characters, but have such different and opposite tones in their story lines. Ideally, would love separate shows to focus on these two. But, as it is, the fact that we are already blessed to not only have a Breaking Bad spinoff, but one that is of such high quality.