The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Medium Cool

a drama but almost documentary in a way as there isn't an obvious plot but more of a capturing of events during this tulmultuous time.

the movie follows a tv reporter (Robert Forster) who at the beginning of the movie is able to separate himself from the occurrences of this era but slowly becomes more attached.

there is a fair bit going on in this movie and imo the style and optics are definitely ahead of its time.  

9/10

Saw Tarzan and Central Intelligence recently.

CI - 7/10, really funny, Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart (actually funny for once) were really good together in this movie. It's different than the Rock's normal rough and tough character for sure, but great acting all around.

Tarzan - 7/10, wasn't what I was expecting as I hadn't seen the trailer, but it still was amazing. Also, nice to see more diversity in both movies, rather than just white people everywhere.

3 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Slasher or thriller ? 

Hmm. I mean, it's not a thriller, but not an outright slasher, either. The style/period is all 80s. So even the way it is written and filmed is in the style of horror films from the 80s. Less gore, more jump scares and relying on building tension.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

CI - 7/10, really funny, Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart (actually funny for once) were really good together in this movie. It's different than the Rock's normal rough and tough character for sure, but great acting all around.

Tarzan - 7/10, wasn't what I was expecting as I hadn't seen the trailer, but it still was amazing. Also, nice to see more diversity in both movies, rather than just white people everywhere.

I've never liked Kevin Hart. I think he thinks he's funnier than he is and is overrated as a comedian/actor. From what I've seen though, your not the first one to say that about him in this movie so maybe I'll give it a shot.

11 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I've never liked Kevin Hart. I think he thinks he's funnier than he is and is overrated as a comedian/actor. From what I've seen though, your not the first one to say that about him in this movie so maybe I'll give it a shot.

The only other thing I've found Kevin Hart funny in is the first season of Real Husbands of Hollywood, tbh, but he was really good in this movie.

World War Z 7/10

At least they didn't waste any time getting started. I thought it was good but had potential to be way better. I didn't get the point of his family. They just seemed to take up a lot of space and only existed so he could find a solution to the problem. And they took out the gore? Why? Some IMDB comments have people saying the book(s) was a lot better.

4 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

CI was a far better movie than I thought it would be.

Speaking of Kevin Hart and movies that were better than you thought they would be, I was surprised when I actually semi-enjoyed Think Like a Man. Based on the premise and cast, I expected it to be terri-bad...but it had some decent laughs (mostly from the stereotyped white friend, IMO).

But any goodwill was completely destroyed by the first 10 minutes of Think Like a Man Too, which set new boundaries of suck. Was far worse than any expectations I had of the first one.

Demolition 8/10 

Beginning was awesome. Got sort of weird in parts and then ended decently. 

Hush 9/10

10 Colverfield Lane 7/10

Started off great and then just got boring tbh.  Ended weirdly. Did not expect that. 

Central Intelligence 4/10. Not even funny

The Words - 5/10

There is a really interesting movie somewhere in here. Jeremy Irons chews up the screen in his limited role, and having him call out Bradley Cooper as a wannabe "pissant" was perfect casting. The original back-story was a movie I'd actually like to see.

But the problem is, it's buried in an extra layer, for seemingly no reason than to try to be a fresh take. But it's with a horribly mis-cast and pedestrian Dennis Quaid as the ultimate narrator. And just when it starts to get really interesting, it goes absolutely nowhere. But it dresses up its aimless script as some sort of juvenile statement on art.

So what you're left with is a movie with an interesting premise and style, but that leaves you empty and annoyed...in other words, a Bradley Cooper movie.

On 7/7/2016 at 7:38 AM, Svengali said:

... I haven't seen Take Shelter, looks interesting.

On 7/7/2016 at 7:47 AM, Monty said:

Unreal film. One of the most accurate films in conveying true love, support, and acceptance of your spouse, regardless of the situation.

I just watched it, spoiler tag ahoy:

Spoiler

First I'll say that other than that goofball actor who played his brother and the annoying woman who played his wife's friend, the acting in this was very very good. Every scene with the daughter was believable as well. I liked how they would go to learn sign language since it's not the magical ability that just appears in the brains of parents of deaf children that I apparently thought it was ...

But ... I didn't like it. Spent 1 hour and 55 minutes feeling bored (and I almost never get bored) and a little annoyed. Almost quit twice in the first hour and a half but the scene where he exploded in the cafeteria kept me watching.

It's not like I grew up hunting narwhals with a spear or anything, but I really think this is one of those films where two people's (yours and mine) upbringing and life experiences are so different that their opinions of it are going to be completely opposite.

(so what is it in this film that you relate to? Was it the possibility of mental illness being hereditary? I'm curious how it can be one of your top 10)

And also looking at your quote above makes me think of how much I preferred Jennifer Connelly in A Beautiful Mind to Chastain in this. So you know what that means: Chastain's character was more realistic and I didn't enjoy having to face her moments of anger ...

central intelligence was hilarious. anyone just finding out the rock is actually great at comedy was literally in diapers during his wwe run in the late 90's. kevin hart is really hit and miss, but he nails it here

7/10

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
  • Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:08 AM, Svengali said:

...but I really think this is one of those films where two people's (yours and mine) upbringing and life experiences are so different that their opinions of it are going to be completely opposite.

(so what is it in this film that you relate to? Was it the possibility of mental illness being hereditary? I'm curious how it can be one of your top 10)...

The first sentence is key, before I comment on the second.

While my career ultimately led me to working with purchasers in manufacturing facilities, feed mills, and construction sites, I went to university for Psychology to eventually become a marriage counselor. During my studies, I worked in prisons and hospitals, working with people who had mental health issues; which is where my passion working alongside them came from. And while I eventually chose a different career path, I still find time to donate to be there for those with mental health issues. My wife and I have a friend who has mental health issues and my grandmother (RIP) had mental health issues, so am fairly close to it personally as well.

As for your second part, "what is it in this film that you relate to? Was it the possibility of mental illness being hereditary?" I have no worry of developing a mental illness. If it happens, it happens; but that isn't what I relate to. The portrayal of mental illness was certainly interesting and handled very well, which definitely adds to it; however, coupling that portrayal with a marriage of one of the most accurately portrayed, loving marriage's I've seen on film, really kept me captivated.

Many times, whether IRL or on film, people make flippant comments like "How can John/Jane stay with Jane/John? He/she is being treated so poorly and they are in a terrible marriage. Don't they know they can just leave and start over?" When people boil marriage down to something that you can just run away from, no matter who you are, it's sad; and it's sad because that's what many people do. However, the portrayal of Shannon and Chastain's marriage in the film was one of true love and understanding. Not only in what they said, but in what they didn't say. Even when you know your spouse is having issues, you support them publicly (Chastain in the cafeteria).

It was heartbreaking to watch, but both Shannon and Chastain did such amazing jobs in their respective roles. To me, as a married man of 12 years and having gone through ups and downs myself (as has my wife), while neither of us have mental health issues, it was like looking in a mirror.

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 4