The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Nice Guys...7.5/10......Good movie,very much along the lines of American Hustle..kind of a retro,black comedy...Great performances by Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling..

The movie is set in 1977 Los Angeles..focused on two bumbling PI's...Although.I did notice a glaring mistake with the continuity,..In the movie,while at a party,they had 'The Pina Colada Song' and 'Get Down On It' playing..Those two songs came out in 1979 and 1981 respectively.

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

I had it on the back burner for a while and finally watched it a while back.  Go for it.  I thought it was great.  Let us know!

Might watch it tonight. Although, I just downloaded quite a few awful Clint Eastwood films from the late 70s and mid 80s, so think I want to slug through one of those first.

Edited by Monty

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

Might watch it tonight. Although, I just downloaded quite a few awful Clint Eastwood films from the late 70s and mid 80s, so think I want to slug through one of those first.

Awful-ly good you mean.

watched the good the bad and the ugly for like the 50th time last night.

"You may run the risks my friend. But I do the cutting. We cut down my percentage, might interfere with my aim."

12 hours ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

That`s a pretty high rating for a pretty poor review. Only Coen brothers film I didn`t bother finishing.

It's a good movie; interesting idea; great music; great set design/lighting to give the film that 'bleak' feel. There is nothing for me to really 'critique', I just personally wouldn't want to watch it again. 

13 hours ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

Army of Darkness      10/10 or 0/10 Not sure.

This needs to be seen to be believed.

12 hours ago, Monty said:

Think most would put it closer to the 10/10. It's phenomenal.

OMG yes. It's FABULOUS.

I still have to start watching the new Ash TV series. Maybe this October B)

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Awful-ly good you mean.

I'm just going by what I've heard with "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can". Haven't heard much good about them.

That said, I also downloaded "Pale Rider", which I've heard is amazing. Also tried getting "The Gaunlet", but no such luck.

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

OMG yes. It's FABULOUS.

I still have to start watching the new Ash TV series. Maybe this October B)

The new series is terrific. The quality and writing is right up there with Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness.

• Upvote 1

Sausage Party: 4/10

Not so bold prediction: Seth Rogen smoked all the weed he could find in his house, then combined his dirty mind to whatever he saw first (food in this case) to make a movie. I've always found him incredibly overrated.

I laughed.....sometimes. This was not a good movie to put underlying political messages in though, which it did throughout the movie. Humor was mediocre, didn't like the morals it was preaching, and towards the end, the jokes got repetitive.

Only reason to see this movie is if you and your buddies want to have a guys night out and go see a movie while drunk/stoned. Wouldn't recommend what I did: Went and saw it sober.

Edited by Blue Jay 22

8 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Not so bold prediction: Seth Rogen smoked all the weed he could find in his house, then combined his dirty mind to whatever he saw first (food in this case) to make a movie. I've always found him incredibly overrated.

I laughed.....sometimes. This was not a good movie to put underlying political messages in though, which it did throughout the movie. Humor was mediocre, didn't like the morals it was preaching, and towards the end, the jokes got repetitive.

Only reason to see this movie is if you and your buddies want to have a guys night out and go see a movie while drunk/stoned. Wouldn't recommend what I did: Went and saw it sober.

This movie looks like a massive waste of my time at 34 years of age.

Now, perhaps if I was 16 and thought Seth Rogen was funny, I'd think differently.

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

"Right turn, Clyde" is all you need to know.  

I'll watch the first tonight and see how it goes.

Edited by Monty

27 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm just going by what I've heard with "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can". Haven't heard much good about them.

That said, I also downloaded "Pale Rider", which I've heard is amazing. Also tried getting "The Gaunlet", but no such luck.

The new series is terrific. The quality and writing is right up there with Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness.

You heard right about those ones.  I've seen them. Bad. Bad. Bad.

huge Clint fan here but ya. Yikes.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

You heard right about those ones.  I've seen them. Bad. Bad. Bad.

huge Clint fan here but ya. Yikes.

Are they the "These are bad and you can get through them because they're terrible", or bad in the "Turn these off, there's nothing here" type of bad?

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Are they the "These are bad and you can get through them because they're terrible", or bad in the "Turn these off, there's nothing here" type of bad?

Honestly: the latter.

i mean I watched. I didn't finish.  The whole time I thought: "why blondie? why?"

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

i mean I watched. I didn't finish.  The whole time I thought: "why blondie? why?"

Crap. I'll start it and see how it goes. I mean, I am a glutton for bad films, so perhaps I'll find something here.

Edited by Monty

15 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I understand why Inside Llewyn Davis wouldn't be for everyone, but I looooove it. Up there with No Country and Barton Fink for their holy trinity IMO. sentimental value, maybe. 

Gotta go with Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink and The Big L as my trifecta, and then it's kind of up in the air between Fargo and Burn After Reading and Oh, Brother! Still on the fence about where I stand on A Serious Man, but I really do like it. "Be a good boy."

23 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Rogen is way over rated. It's no surprise that Goon and Da Ali G Show are head and shoulders better than the stuff Evan Goldberg wrote with Seth.

Annabelle: 3/10

This movie was straight up awful. There was an opening scene that introduced the concept and then cut to the meat of the movie, but then the movie really never came back to it at the end except as a weak acknowledgement that there was in fact an introductory gimmick. Then, the last scene is completely unrelated, introducing characters that had no relevance to the rest of the movie (in writing) nor any reason why they would end up with the doll.

Since I was a kid I've thought that the concept of a living, evil doll is one of the scarier plot concepts out there. Chucky and Night of the Living Dummy of the Goosebumps series gave me nightmares as a kid (the only R.L. Stein I remember scaring the crap out of me). This movie looked like it had potential in the ads but now that I watch it, it`s not  even about the doll except as creepy imagery. Lame. This movie tried to combine a whole bunch of cliched horror movie concepts and ended up with a steaming pile of...

The doll - Chucky

The priest - Excorcist

The baby/demon - Rosemary's Baby/The Omen/take your pick

The dead chick in white with hair in her face - The Ring

The black occultist chick - All of them?

The box with the 'do not open' sign - Indiana Jones (not even horror).

At least the acting by the main couple was pretty darn good.

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

Well, you were right. Couldn't get much further than Eastwood and the orangutan chasing the motorcycles. Truly, truly awful.