The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Hell or High Water  9/10

Well, so, speaking of modern day westerns. Had the pleasure of walking down to the theatre in the rain, picking a random movie based on the poster, and being unexpectedly blown away by this. Very much in the vein of No Country, Blue Ruin and Sicario, and odd as it may sound, it would also work as a companion piece to The Big Short.

The plot is basically two brothers in West Texas who've inherited their family ranch but the bank is about to foreclose on it due to back taxes, so they start robbing different branches, stealing the bank's own money to pay it back to them. And Jeff Bridges, in probably his best performance since Crazy Heart, is the grizzled old Texas Ranger tracking them. Every single second of this film is pitch perfect, from the light banter between the two pairs of men (Bridges' character is balanced by his younger half-Mexican half-Comanche partner), to the brutal suddenness of the violence, to the abstract riffing on the shrinking economic pool of blue collar small town America. Phenomenal. Best thing I've seen so far this year.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, The Bookie said:

Hell or High Water  9/10

Well, so, speaking of modern day westerns. Had the pleasure of walking down to the theatre in the rain, picking a random movie based on the poster, and being unexpectedly blown away by this. Very much in the vein of No Country, Blue Ruin and Sicario, and odd as it may sound, it would also work as a companion piece to The Big Short.

The plot is basically two brothers in West Texas who've inherited their family ranch but the bank is about to foreclose on it due to back taxes, so they start robbing different branches, stealing the bank's own money to pay it back to them. And Jeff Bridges, in probably his best performance since Crazy Heart, is the grizzled old Texas Ranger tracking them. Every single second of this film is pitch perfect, from the light banter between the two pairs of men (Bridges' character is balanced by his younger half-Mexican half-Comanche partner), to the brutal suddenness of the violence, to the abstract riffing on the shrinking economic pool of blue collar small town America. Phenomenal. Best thing I've seen so far this year.

Sweet, me and pal are gonna check this out this week!

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

:sick:

how so?  Just an obnoxious Brit to me whose band sucked.

For some reason, I enjoy Oasis. And even more barf worthy, LOVE Be Here Now. While it was ridiculously long (each song feels like 8 minutes long), if they were shortened to 3-4 minutes, the album would have been great.

Did see them live on their last tour. They were sh*t, though.

Edited by Monty

32 minutes ago, riffraff said:

:sick:

how so?  Just an obnoxious Brit to me whose band sucked.

one person's obnoxious Brit is another person's funny Brit, I guess. Noel has been slaying interviews and doing funny commentary for decades - he is a genuinely funny person IMO. 

30 minutes ago, Monty said:

For some reason, I enjoy Oasis. And even more barf worthy, LOVE Be Here Now. While it was ridiculously long (each song feels like 8 minutes long), if they were short ended to 3-4 minutes, the album would have been great.

Did see them live on their last tour. They were sh*t, though.

It's really weird how Oasis went from being one of the most popular bands in the world to being something of a guilty pleasure. 

I agree, Be Here Now is good, even if it drags. I think most of Oasis' music drags though. Definitely Maybe is only an hour long, each of its songs being 4-6 minutes, but god it feels like a 2 hour slog. I've never been a big fan of DM, even though it seems to be a critic/fan fav.

I very, very rarely listen to them anymore, and I would hesitate to call myself a fan, but Morning Glory, Be Here Now do have a lot of nostalgic value for me. I have a very strong attachment to Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, too. Not sure I ever gave much of their post-2000 stuff a listen, though.

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

one person's obnoxious Brit is another person's funny Brit, I guess. Noel has been slaying interviews and doing funny commentary for decades - he is a genuinely funny person IMO. 

It's really weird how Oasis went from being one of the most popular bands in the world to being something of a guilty pleasure. 

I agree, Be Here Now is good, even if it drags. I think most of Oasis' music drags though. Definitely Maybe is only an hour long, each of its songs being 4-6 minutes, but god it feels like a 2 hour slog. I've never been a big fan of DM, even though it seems to be a critic/fan fav.

I very, very rarely listen to them anymore, and I would hesitate to call myself a fan, but Morning Glory, Be Here Now do have a lot of nostalgic value for me. I have a very strong attachment to Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, too. Not sure I ever gave much of their post-2000 stuff a listen, though.

So much of a guilty pleasure for me, to a point where I've purchased both Noel Gallagher solo albums. Truth be told, though, I rarely listen to them. And when I do, it's basically Be Here Now. There's good ideas in that album, just horribly executed (length), as per Noel's own admission, due to drug use.

To me, Magic Pie is the best song on that album. But again, it's like 7 minutes long.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

So much of a guilty pleasure for me, to a point where I've purchased both Noel Gallagher solo albums. Truth be told, though, I rarely listen to them. And when I do, it's basically Be Here Now. There's good ideas in that album, just horribly executed (length), as per Noel's own admission, due to drug use.

To me, Magic Pie is the best song on that album. But again, it's like 7 minutes long.

makes a lot of sense. that guy was snorting cocaine like it was 1976

42 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

It's really weird how Oasis went from being one of the most popular bands in the world to being something of a guilty pleasure

It's ok. We all have them.  Funny that mine are britpop bands too:

pulp

the white lies

ive been to the uk a couple times.  1995,1996 and 2004.

back in 95'96 all I heard was wonder wall and everyone fought over who was better: oasis or blur.  I literally remember seeing public bathroom graffiti along the lines of "blur are tosspots" etc.  So funny.

youre right about nostalgia.  I worked the restaurants and bartended back on those trips and the one bar had a juke box and I always played common people by pulp, joy divisions love will tear us apart and franz Ferdinand's take me out.

not condemning you for your Noel affextions:P. It just seemed that all the obnoxious drunk Brits liked oasis so maybe it's a hate by association thing.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

It's ok. We all have them.  Funny that mine are britpop bands too:

pulp

the white lies

ive been to the uk a couple times.  1995,1996 and 2004.

back in 95'96 all I heard was wonder wall and everyone fought over who was better: oasis or blur.  I literally remember seeing public bathroom graffiti along the lines of "blur are tosspots" etc.  So funny.

youre right about nostalgia.  I worked the restaurants and bartended back on those trips and the one bar had a juke box and I always played common people by pulp, joy divisions love will tear us apart and franz Ferdinand's take me out.

not condemning you for your Noel affextions:P. It just seemed that all the obnoxious drunk Brits liked oasis so maybe it's a hate by association thing.

It's interesting how trips can play into things like this.

Went all over Europe in 1999, and Robbie Williams was everywhere. Ever since, have a massive guilty pleasure spot for his "music".

15 minutes ago, Monty said:

It's interesting how trips can play into things like this.

Went all over Europe in 1999, and Robbie Williams was everywhere. Ever since, have a massive guilty pleasure spot for his "music".

Absolutely.

that first trip in euro in 95 I turned 19 while I was there backpacking around. You meet so many people all ages all walks of life. I was exposed to a lot of music I never considered.

this song I mean it's not my go to genre to say the least but at the time I was in a rented car with some other strangers/new friends cruising the French Riviera.  The song, that music, absolutely perfect for the sun, the beach, the girls, la citroens.

Rush

Ah, I don't know. Daniel Bruhl, who is very quickly making a name for himself and racking up some good films, was the standout. Although, it was his film and Chris Hemsworth's time to shine. 

It it was good enough, but much lile Foxcatcher, seems like it should have been a documentary, and nothing more.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Rush

Ah, I don't know. Daniel Bruhl, who is very quickly making a name for himself and racking up some good films, was the standout. Although, it was his film and Chris Hemsworth's time to shine. 

It it was good enough, but much lile Foxcatcher, seems like it should have been a documentary, and nothing more.

I was quite pleased with that one. Way better than I thought it would be. Loved the hitch hiking Italian country side scene :lol:

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I was quite pleased with that one. Way better than I thought it would be. Loved the hitch hiking Italian country side scene :lol:

Like Foxcatcher, the acting made this movie, especially that of Daniel Bruhl. But had it not been acted well, would have easily been a big fail.

7 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I thought Rush was great.

I'm all for Gibson making his return, but Hacksaw Ridge doesn't sound very appealing to me. Passion of the Christ: Okinawa Edition

So far the reviews are positive.

Mel Gibson may very well be a massive twat in real life, but the guy knows how to make movies.

Anyone catch The Beaver? Was waaay better than it should have been. And as much as Get The Gringo and Blood Father look like Nic-Cage-level tripe on the surface, the reviews for both have been solid.

And as for directing ability, Apocalypto was outstanding.

Edited by D-Money