The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

The Kassian trade was this team's transition from elite to mediocre.

There is a certain rhythm to good trolling. What you are doing is like a 5 year old on his Fisher Price "my first dubstep"

Take it down a few notches, chuck some meaningless stats to prove your lack of point or something.

He was with the rest of the team not scoring?

Never said he was god, that seems to be Hodgson in your books. Although Kassian is having almost as good of a season as him despite playing on the third line.

Not a lucky goal either. If you knew any subtleties of hockey, you would see that he pushed off on the defender like Bertuzzi use to do, freeing himself up for the tap in. Very smart move, by a strong young player.

Keep hating though. :lol:

He got banned haha. More than likely a King of BS dupe.

Hodgson would have been a game changer in the game today. But no, we need 3rd line grinders that disappear when it matters and don't play well against good teams.

I'm surprised you can even watch a game with that enormous Hodgson woody in the way. But at least we know why blood isn't making it to the brain.

Zack Kassian will be nothing more than a 20-25 point 3rd liner.

Where was Kassian during the horrible January? Invisible. Kassian has one good game against the worst team in the league and now he's a god, lol. :picard: . And one lucky goal from being in the right place at the right time when the other player did all the work is not that impressive. The guy did nothing the whole season.

Though you're just a troll, and a banned one now - I do hope you come back and read the thread just so you can be reminded by everyone that you're easily in the bottom contingency of no-nothing fans.

Even with 6 games to go, Kassian has hit your upper limit, and more importantly, he's a 23 year old, and clearly a development player that doesn't step in and hit his mid-range to upper-limit from day one like a Toews or Crosby. But no one's ever considered him to be a #1 draft pick caliber player. Kassian's the type of player that joins the league around 20/21 and works first to keep himself in the lineup, then needs to learn to be a reliable player that earns his minutes through intangibles, all the while working to develop a more consistent offensive output. He is your prototypical power forward, and guys like this usually bloom at age 25/26 into the player you can rely on them being until their body starts to slow around 33/34 (barring significant injuries, of course).

So at his current age, and just finishing his entry level contract, he needs to show that he's growing as a player, learning the game and continuing on an upward curve overall. If you're not seeing that, then you have major legitimate concerns. But Kassian has been doing exactly this:

His points per game average has increase each season - 0.22 in 11-12, 0.2 in 12-13 and currently at 0.38 in 13-14.

Likewise, his shooting % has gone up each year: 0.090% 11-12, 0.143% 12-13, and 0.157% in 13-14.

Even a stat that needs to improve, his +/- has remained consistent, -2, -7 and now -4, even though the teams overall offense and defensive numbers have plummeted this year. Hodgson's, meanwhile, has jumped off a damn cliff with a sweet old -23 at the moment.

I was a massive Cody Hodgson fan, I was mad when he was traded, but my team is my team, so I'm going to want the best for the players on it. Kassian's a very different type of player, and he's not as naturally gifted with his pure offensive talent. But he is the type of player that can drastically improve his output by further learning the game and developing the assets that take time to learn to be able to put them into use on a game to game basis. Thankfully, he's proving that over the long term that's exactly what he's doing.

Grow concerned when he stops that upward curve or starts to trend downward, not just from one game, or three, or even a month. But throughout entire seasons. The same can be said to his cheerleaders as it pertains to him deserving more icetime.

Kassian single handedly eliminated the Leafs and the Oilers from potential playoff spots this year.

Bolland: Bolland made the Leafs a pretty good team, then that freak skate cut happened, and the leaf got Holland, problem is the dutch Gretsky wasn't there anymore.

Gagner: I realize they had a slim chance to begin with, but it certainly didn't help losing him for as long as they did.

Did I mention he also has put up pretty decent numbers especially 5 on 5?

I warn of the impending Kassian craze in Van. He will be one of the new guys everyone loves, if they don't already. Oh and he will probably put up 35-40 points next year.

Maybe even more :)

We have a new winner.

Just another mult of someone who was banned, they pop up with the same old crap..Kassian goals are all lucky, his passes just bounce of the goal scorer and go in. Big brouhaha in front of the Hab's net a few games ago with the Hab's being outmanned by the Sabers, Price grabs Hodgson and Cody goes down like he was shot looking for a hole to China.

lol. so many people crying about the trade beforehand. seems to be fewer of them these days.

lets not get ahead of ourselves here. kass still has a ways to go, but you can see his potential.

people needed more patience at the time of the trade. i reckon we should continue to be patient with kass.consistent improvement is important, as well as becoming a professional,everyday player. by the time he turns 24-25 we should have a better idea of what we have here.

Where was Kassian during the horrible January? Invisible. Kassian has one good game against the worst team in the league and now he's a god, lol. :picard: . And one lucky goal from being in the right place at the right time when the other player did all the work is not that impressive. The guy did nothing the whole season.

Kassian had 7 points in January.

Hodgson has 8 points since January - 22 "game changing" performances.

Now that Kassian's essentially played the same amount of games in the AHL this season as he did last, I thought I'd have a look at the numbers to see how exactly he's "developing" (generous term).

WARNING: this ain't pretty

2011-12: 30 GP, 15 G, 26 P, +4, 94 SOG, 31 PIM

2012-13: 28 GP, 6 G, 18 P, -1, 72 SOG, 59 PIM

By my calculations, this amounts to the following data comparatives:

• 60% year-over-year reduction in goals
  • 31% year-over-year reduction in points
  • 18% year-over-year reduction in SOG/game
  • 90% year-over-year increase in PIMs.
And, to be honest, the two things that are of the most concern to me are the decline in SOG and the increase in PIM. There's really no explanation for getting less SOG as a 22 year-old AHL sophomore than as a 21 year-old AHL rookie. And this SOG figure is even inflated, as Kass did have 7 SOG last game, bringing up his average significantly.

And while it's nice that he does seem willing to throw the body, at times, and drop the gloves, at times, I really hope that we didn't trade Cody Hodgson for a bottom-six goon that will be lucky to get 5 - 10 goals per year in limited minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if Kassian has a bit of "Kyle Beach" in him; capable of so much, too stupid to realize it and in the penalty box way, way too much.

Let's not forget that Kassian was hand held by the Sedin's in the off-season to try and get his training habits in shape (not a good sign), and even went on to be a healthy scratch in 1 (or more, I'm not sure) game, also (clearly) not a good sign.

Who else is concerned?

how did this get 11 pluses!!!

seriously I want names!

Archived