The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I think Luongo is going to be a Canucks until at least the trading deadline. Unless MG gest a significant return Lu stays a Canuck. I have no doubt. Especially with the amount of games in a short period of time coming up. Any team with 2 would be wise to keep them both. There will be lots of back to back games and 4 games in 8 nights etc.

I'm tired of the Leafs, so I got a GD blockbuster for you.

Luongo, Ballard.

Okposo, Hamonic, Brock Nelson, 1st 2013, 1st 2014, Ville Pokka, Rick Dipietro.

Breakdown -

Luongo, Ballard for Okposo, Hamonic, Nelson.

A pair of 1sts, and Ville Pokka for taking Dipietro's contract.

Canucks take back 8.2 in cap hit for this season. Next season that drops to 3.7, because they buyout Dipietro at season's end. Hamonic will need to be qualified.

Islanders make a massive splash, get an actual franchise goaltender, a veteran blueliner, and the cash strapped club saves about $24 million.

Canucks get serious young talent at RW and on the blueline, a great prospect in Nelson, and essentially buy a Finnish blueline prospect and a couple picks to keep the window open in the future.

Mr. Aquilini.. are you willing?

I think Luongo is going to be a Canucks until at least the trading deadline. Unless MG gest a significant return Lu stays a Canuck. I have no doubt. Especially with the amount of games in a short period of time coming up. Any team with 2 would be wise to keep them both. There will be lots of back to back games and 4 games in 8 nights etc.

Luongo has never been a team player anyway. He's always put his needs before his team. The Canucks need more 'Heart and Soul' guys on this team. I hate how Luongo feels he's automatically deserved a number one spot in Vancouver.....NO, you've gotta earn your spot Lu, instead of complaining and asking to be traded PROVE that you deserve the spot over Schneider. I'll be GLAD when Luongo is gone, that self centered...

Projected Florida line up:

Fleischmann - Weiss - Versteeg

Bergenheim - Huberdeau - Kopecky

Goc - Matthias - Upshall

Mueller - Santorelli - Parros

Skille, Kovalev (PTO)

Campbell - Kulikov

Gudbranson - Kuba

Jovanovski - Weaver

Ellerby

Theodore

Clemmensen

That lineup isn't exactly deep at centre. I believe Huberdeau might even be used on the wing. I can't see Florida trading their top centre in Weiss, for Luongo. Even if they did, do we want an offensive minded, undersized forward centering our 3rd line?

And he's human and he's so good that he has never gone through having to deal with te fact that it is perceived he has been surpassed, thereby creating completion which he has never had to process such information?

Reality check. If he is indeed that good, he will surpass Schneiderthe sensaional rookie who keeps it cool as cool can be.

If he does, we have a Thomas comeback and people will certainly get back to an is against them that includes Luongo.

If not, then he's traded to a team that needs and wants a number one goaltender that gets them into the playoffs.

At least we have an amazing event before our eyes, in a hyper-soason, with two changes at the Cup.

I say keep Luongo for a few weeks at least.

Let the losses start piling up for Toronto until they start getting real desperate. And you know the losses will pile up.

Right now Burke thinks he has the upper hand because Gillis is desperate. Until the tables are turned, no trade should be made.

Let the losses start piling up for Toronto until they start getting real desperate. And you know the losses will pile up.

Right now Burke thinks he has the upper hand because Gillis is desperate. Until the tables are turned, no trade should be made.

That was my thought at first, and I definitely agree it's weighted too much in Van's favour - but keep in mind that NYI might not have the operating budget to afford a Dipietro buyout. That might make them more willing to move him to a richer team like Van.

That was my thought at first, and I definitely agree it's weighted too much in Van's favour - but keep in mind that NYI might not have the operating budget to afford a Dipietro buyout. That might make them more willing to move him to a richer team like Van.

The first part is value for value. Luongo, Ballard for Okposo, Hamonic, Nelson.

Of course the second part is weighed in Vancouver's favour - except for the $24 million part lol. That is the business part of this transaction, where the Canucks have more leverage - of course in a hockey sense this works in Vancouver's favour - but the negative value of Dipietro to the Islanders might be underestimated here. Smashian suggests the Isles can afford this buyout themselves... Can they really?

Archived