The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Canucks sign Cam Barker, 1 yr - $700 K

vancanfan

In Chicago, Barker was good on the PP and because of his large size had a good ability to keep the puck in the zone... something I would like to see when the Canucks have only 1 defenseman on the point in one of their set ups.

He'll have to work for a chance to play on the PP, but Rome got his chance last year, so you never know.

Barker - Edler with Kesler in front of the net intrigues me, especially with Barker's AHL stats - 66 shots in 23 games, lots of pucks at the net between the two and Kes doing the dirty work..

Even in Edmonton where has "sh*tting the bed" he still had 35 shots in 25 games, probably without any confidence. He likes to shoot the puck.

MAG, Rome, Ballard, Alberts and Tanev - all of the Canucks' depth guys last year took less than a shot per game. Now the Canucks have a depth defenseman who likes to shoot. I like that.

I've read multiple scouting reports that say he is slow as molasses, lacks defensive awareness, plays with zero intensity, doesn't hit or block shots.

The fact we signed him shows how bad Connauton, Joslin and Sauve have played this year. It would have been nice if we picked up Matheson, he and Tanev played awesome together. I miss the Moose (we used to always sign their players).

If his substance abuse problems are under control (which I suspect that due to the Canucks signing him right out of his PTO on day 1 of camp, I like this signing. If I remember correctly, Chris Higgins was another draft bust who partied a little too hard before he came to Vancouver. There's always the possibility he turns it around like Chris did.

Archived