The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Everybody Loves Raymond (except Jim)...Merged

Bite me Burr

Bode may or may not be right about Raymond, but not because he's not a Canadian. There are those who are very knowledgable about World War Two who not only never served in that war, but who never served in any war and weren't born until long after it was over.

Your argument is an argument from authority, and whether it not you are correct about Raymond, it doesn't hold a drop of water. It's the argument of a child.

It's funny; one would hope the "Any True Scotsman" fallacy would apply when referring to Bodee, if not at least once, but it never does.

Title should be everybody loves to bash Raymond. Well, Mason will not be on this team next year, but I suspect he will be snapped up by another team in the off season. He's pretty cheap for what he offers; both on D and O. Vancouver is cap strapped and has obviously decided against bringing him back (Higgins contract).

He's a much better player than what many on CDC will admit. (.5) pts., never a minus +/- and the speed of a roadrunner. All for about 2.5m a year. Not bad for a 2nd round draft pick.

Title should be everybody loves to bash Raymond. Well, Mason will not be on this team next year, but I suspect he will be snapped up by another team in the off season. He's pretty cheap for what he offers; both on D and O. Vancouver is cap strapped and has obviously decided against bringing him back (Higgins contract).

He's a much better player than what many on CDC will admit. (.5) pts., never a minus +/- and the speed of a roadrunner. All for about 2.5m a year. Not bad for a 2nd round draft pick.

You know Jim, as much as being physical plays a very important role in this game, so does speed. And we look awfully dangerous at times because of our speed....don't need to be a warrior if no one can catch you. When some of our guys get flying, it's some of our best hockey so don't discount that element of things

NOTE: if you guys see something offensive/that needs deleting, hit the report button because, if you haven't, you really have no reason to moan about it.

You know Jim, as much as being physical plays a very important role in this game, so does speed. And we look awfully dangerous at times because of our speed....don't need to be a warrior if no one can catch you. When some of our guys get flying, it's some of our best hockey so don't discount that element of things

NOTE: if you guys see something offensive/that needs deleting, hit the report button because, if you haven't, you really have no reason to moan about it.

Here is the thing though... Raymond is NOT that fast. Yea he has decent speed... but he is not lights out quick. He does not spit the D, as a truly fast skater should. Plus when he is going fast, he does not have control, and thats why he falls down a lot. His acceleration isnt that great either. He has a good top speed.. thats it.

While I agree he is a decent player, he is not a top 6 player on a cup contending team, nor is he the defensive juggernaught, or crushing bottom 6 player on a cup contending team

He is a Jack of all trades type player, who is decent and many things, but is not really good enough at either of the jobs he has been given to hold his place on the team for that job only. He is a good depth type of guy, but Hansen is that type of player for us, who is just as quick, but is more physical, and cheaper.

Nothing against him, but he is a depth player at 2.5mil, which is too much.

Duly noted Deb. BTW: It wasn't meant as a criticism...

Personally, I've never used the report button since I feel I can "debate" my way past personal attacks, (and have done so many times ;) ) but for some reason, I seem to get my back up when people resort to childish insults towards others who are just trying to make point...

Not directed specifically at you, Rupert...just a reminder. And we generally let things go if people are toe to toe or exchanging blows...gets too much to remove everything so the hope is that it fizzles out. Unless it's something REALLY offensive, then it's removed. One sided attacks are different but when people fire back, we like to just let it sort itself out unless it's dragging out too long. :)

Why are people still talking about this?

.327ppg in the playoffs. Enough said. The guy disappears in post season. If he's not producing points, he is useless as he brings nothing else to the game like the others can.

Let's move on, cut our ties, and forget about him.

I was wondering if you were going to reply. You have sat here through this whole topic telling people to not be personal, to not make childish remarks etc...

And then I say something you don't like and you tell me I am embarrassing myself. What did you say earlier? Stay classy?

Instead of just saying hay, here is some evidence that he is quick , you have to get on your high horse, and make a personal comment about me embarrassing myself, and as if I was some moron because I disagree or part of that group arguing before. I was not, and I posted a respectful post, and you decided to crawl from out of the latrine and stink up my post.

I never said he was slow. I said he wasn't that quick. "THAT" being the word I want you to focus on. I said that he had good speed, but he is not THAT quick... ie compared to Kesler and Hansen etc, he is about the same speed..perhaps a touch faster, but in the case of Kesler, he is more skilled, and in the case of Hansen, tougher, and he hits more, so his perhaps SLIGHT advantage in speed over other players is not enough to hold his place for that alone.

Yea, show me a few highlights. Yep those parts that are recorded and put on youtube. If the lowlights made the reel at the end of the game I would have millions of examples of him falling down , and fumbling the puck etc... I never bagged the guy, I said he is a decent player, but not a top 6 you want on your cup winning team, not a bottom 6 you want starting on your cup winning team. He is a good depth player, but at 2.5 mil that gets pricey.

Raymond is a perimeter player who does not use his speed effectively enough to be a consistent scorer, and we can get players better suited to the bottom 6 role that help us more than he does at that cost. I liked Raymond when he made the team, I rooted for him because I want fast skilled players on this team. The fact is , he isn't consistent enough to warrant his spot. And picking a few examples from the thousands of shifts his had doesn't change that.

But thanks for trying to insult me while I am trying to have a civilised debate.

Archived