The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Our defence clearly needs a shakeup.

We have too many left handed defensemen and that is ending up in edler and hamhuis looking like lost puppies on the ice.

Edler is way too flat footed and has problems pivoting. Also he does not move the puck quick enough on the powerplay.

But he does have a great resume.

To Vancouver:

- John Carlson - Big playmaking right handed defensemen. Doesn't have the resume but has potential to be elite

- Evgeny Kuznetsov- Size and gamebreaking ability. The russian factor may allow him to be traded easier

- 1st rounder

- cap dump that we bury in the minors

To Washington:

- Luongo - Much needed leadership for their lockerroom and experience. Playing his best hockey in years

- Edler - Top 2 dman capable of 50 points. Brings experience and a more developed skillset.

Lineup:

sedin sedin burrows

higgins kesler kassian

booth schroeder hansen

volpatti lappy weise

raymond

garrison bieksa

hamhuis carlson - Hamhuis can be the stay at home D and Carlson can rush the puck with his speed/skill

ballard tanev

future top 6:

sedin sedin burrows

kuznetsov kesler kassian

or

sedin sedin kassian

burrows kesler kuznetsov(natural rw)

or

kuznetsov sedin kassian - Kuznetsov will add tempo/speed to an aging H.Sedin

sedin kesler burrows - Kes and Burr reunited

=O !

Overpayment from our side, and it doesn't make sense for us, Laich and Brouwer have terrible contracts that would handcuff us big time when the cap drops. And Raymond and Schroeder are playing great.

And even putting all that aside, value greatly favors Washington.

Laich and Brouwer may get payed a lot but they will play far better than both Schroeder and Ramyond combined, despite Raymond scoring an awesome goal today St Louis' size showed how useless Raymond and Schroeder will be against size, a main factor in the playoffs.

I know you have a boner for Schroeder but we have to upgrade our size, and experience. Laich and Brouwer from Washington make the most sense in a Loungo trade.

Schroeder and Raymond are both very valuable, we do overpay in the long run but we aren't going to get a Carlson for Luongo. Not when Gillis is forced to trade Luongo, how will our cap situation work with both goalies? We aren't getting a AAA prospect for a 33 year old goalie that has proven to melt in the playoffs.

What does make sense is trading Luongo a Mason Raymond that is playing well, and Schroeder who has no place the same as Hodgson. for

A bonified 3rd veteran line better than any combination of Higgins Malhotra Torres 3rd line of yesteryear.

Higgins Laich Brouwer

If you have seen either of the mentioned players play you would accept the on paper loss of the trade and accepts it puts us in the most realistic position to win the cup within 3 years.

You're a mad man to take Schroeder in to the playoffs as our 3C

Really, cause I thought Raymond and Schroeder's speed was a huge factor, I thought Raymond especially was going to the dirty areas and using his speed to win battles.

I agree, we aren't getting Carlson for Luongo (Nor do we need him) and we aren't getting Forsberg or Kuznetsov either.

Hodgson actually had a place, and in hindsight he may have helped us, as our lack of scoring is what seemingly cost us, and that has seemed to be our downfall in recent years, Hodgson had a place with us, he just chose not to take it. The deal was made solely on him wanting out, nothing more.

And actually that is where you are wrong (2nd to last bolded part) This takes away our chances. As we will be hogtied, all our depth will be gone. With Laich and Brouwer in our linup we would then have only 1 million in cap space to sign everyone. That means we would have 15 players under contract, not even a full lineup and only 1 Million left in cap space.

And what do you think happens in the playoffs? Do the big guys suddenly grow claws, or do they throw hammers or do they get jet packs so they can fly around the arena and crush everyone with speed.

I understand playoffs are more physical, but the game is still the same, it isn't wrestling, its still hockey. If players that aren't 210 and aren't loaded with grit aren't useful in the playoffs, then why would half the players in the league be in the league? It would be the 70's again.

Speed is an important key too, I get wanting to get more physical but you can only be physical at certain points in the game, that doesn't change. You cant run around and hit people, having speed does have its advantages as long as those guys are strong enough and aren't afraid to go to the dirty areas and JS and Raymond have proven they aren't.

Jake Allen's emergence as an NHLer complicates the Luongo deal. I mean now the Blues have 3 potential starters in Halak, Elliot and Allen. Teams that we view as in 'desperate need for goaltending' could sooner talk to the Blues, and their young goalies, rather than deal with us. We'll see where the dominoes fall, but I think the return on any one of these goalies would give us an idea of Luongo's worth.

I just thought of something and bear with me please. Remember the "potential deal in place" that was dependent on a player. Could it possibly be Scottie Upshall? The florida beat writer was on twitter was discussing how he was looking great in practice but that their coach was saying he's still a ways away. Maybe Upshall is the salary coming back in a deal for one of their stud prospects or stephen weiss? Maybe I'm over thinking it

Jake Allen's emergence as an NHLer complicates the Luongo deal. I mean now the Blues have 3 potential starters in Halak, Elliot and Allen. Teams that we view as in 'desperate need for goaltending' could sooner talk to the Blues, and their young goalies, rather than deal with us. We'll see where the dominoes fall, but I think the return on any one of these goalies would give us an idea of Luongo's worth.

Truthfully, it was never that likely the Blues would be seriously interested (IMO). They might have kicked the tires, but both goalies playing so well last year couldn't have been a fluke so they should be able to rely on one, and they knew they had a decent prospect in Allen coming up.

Now, they certainly aren't sure on Elliot right now, but only if Halak was completely unreliable from an injury perspective would they consider moving a roster player, top prospect, and/or pick to bring back a goalie of Luongo's calibre. It hasn't been an issue before, so it would be a pretty reactionary move for a team that's 4th in the Western Conference right now.

That's a horrible deal for us. Basically just Berglund for Luongo and a backup in Elliot for the 3rd. Berglund is great and all, but is that the return we want?

I'm not sure from reading that if you think it's more or less likely as a result of Elliot's play.

Won't you look silly if someone offers a deal good enough for us to accept before the trade deadline.

It's possible nothing happens until summer, but can you say that with 100% certainty? If not, then I think it's ok that people are discussing possible deals, many of which aren't dictating when they will happen.

Archived