The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I'm not saying that there's nothing to it. I'm merely pointing out credible members of the Washington media deny it. I'm very confident that if those same members instead said something like "we're hearing that there are serious discussions going on right now between VAN and WAS about Luongo", not a single person here would be questioning their credibility. Funny how that works, isn't it?

What's interesting to me is that they only mentioned Luongo, and not Schneider. Honestly, to me, it's looking more and more like Cory is the one that may well be on his way out.

See, this is why I don't ignore you completely, a reasonable post - one which I'd think many of us here would agree on! Orlov is more enticing to me than Gardiner, and I'd be interested in a secondary prospect like Galiev even and a pick but we'd have to see just how desperate they are.

A couple resulting articles, one from Ed Willes, who has been tweeting sarcastically about how much the Caps would have to pay, and another from Steve Ewen, more about Luongo getting another start:

Admittedly, the circumstances couldn’t be better from Gillis’s perspective. The Caps are built to win now and they’re struggling under rookie head coach Adam Oates. GM George McPhee is starting to feel the heat and his goaltending has been shaky.

The Caps also have three high-end forward prospects in their organization. Evgeni Kuznetsov might be the best player in the world not in the NHL although his desire to play in North America is in question. The Caps also had two first-rounders this summer in Filip Forsberg and Tom Wilson. There’s a dropoff after Kuznetsov, Forsberg and Wilson but there are still intriguing players.

The calibre of the Caps’ top three, in fact, suggests the deal could involve Cory Schneider. It doesn’t figure the McPhee would trade one of their blue-chippers for a 33-year-old goalie whose contract runs to the end of days, that would be Roberto Luongo.

But who knows where this is heading?

Archived