The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

No I wouldn't quit my job for a 6/49 ticket but I do think a 25% chance at a 1st overall isn't that bad. Who cares if we don't get the number one overall, it's a deep draft this year.

I'm saying that, if there were a year that we don't make the playoffs, this would be the one. A deep draft and whatever we get from a Luongo or Schneider trade.

The only way we get max value for Luongo is if a team thinks they're a goalie away from winning the cup. The problem with that is all we would get is picks and a prospect.

This kind of trade will not help us out this year and probably not for a few years.

Que? His back is hurt and he's 40 years old. He may not be coming back. At all.

The rest of your points are fair except their goalies are nowhere near ready. They'll need to get one somewhere.

I also don't think they are in a position to write off a season either though. They need the playoff revenue.

They may be hugely interested in Schneider though.

What you're doing is talking jibberish.

I'm not writing off Johansson - I'm pointing out that he's not ready to step in as our 3C - Schroeder is a better option imo - he, like Kassian, are responsible two way youngsters who the Canucks can put confidently in the lineup.

Johansson has been out of Oates' lineup for a month, and his underlying numbers warranted it.

If folks want to argue that Johansson would be a good prospect to acquire great - but don't try to sell me the idea that's he's an upgrade at 3C -which we need in the present. Acquiring him would still necessitate another deal - and that's fine, but not where you guys are coming from.

Oh right Marty's injured.

I think Kinkaid might be close, but the rest are aways away. I could see interest in Schneider as he would fit with that young group, but I can't see them having interest in Luongo with that contract.

No way they give up Larsson for Luongo, maybe for Schneider, maybe. But not for Luongo.

If we can't get Bjugstad for Lu there is no chance Larsson would be available.

Great analogy, as nice as it would be to get Jones, there is really no chance that happens with the way things are looking right now.

No I wouldn't quit my job for a 6/49 ticket but I do think a 25% chance at a 1st overall isn't that bad. Who cares if we don't get the number one overall, it's a deep draft this year.

I'm saying that, if there were a year that we don't make the playoffs, this would be the one. A deep draft and whatever we get from a Luongo or Schneider trade.

Actually I think he probably would be a bit of an upgrade on Schroeder.

Not having a great year but he is more developed all round and a bit bigger. Defensively he probably brings what Schroeder brings.

Not a huge upgrade but still a bit of an upgrade on JS right now.

Of course the devils wont trade Larsson that would be plain stupid. NJ will wait and hope Brodeur comes back soon, they might go after Bernier at the draft if they feel their prospect goalies are still a couple years a way minimum. To be honest I dont know how their young goalies are doing

Midpoint of season have to say these teams HAVE to have some interest in Lou or they are just plain stupid. If you look at their relative positions, Goals Against its a no brainer.

1. Florida - A mess. Maybe they don't care but when your GA is the worst in the NHL and you have no fans coming to games, well you either just say pack it in (which may be what they've done) or you need to address it. Worst in the League with 93 GA

2. Tampa - clearly Yzerman was wrong with his bet on Nashville's backup as their GA isn't much better than Florida and perhaps its leverage/ego but with that team, not making the playoffs is unacceptable I would think. Too much talent to not be in the mix. (5th worst in the NHL 75 GA)

3. Islanders. Second worst GA in the league with 82 GA but still in the hunt for a playoff spot, they have alot to gain here by making a move. But would Lou waive?

4. Philly 4th worst GA in the NHL. Issue is bigger than goaltending, and they have a problem contract with Bryz, but he is clearly part of the issue. A trade of Lou/Ballard could really help that team, but then they have to eat Bryz contract on a buyout.

Regardless those 4 teams have major issues in net and need to address them if they want to be competitive.

Archived