The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I was talking about in the Gillis era. We have done pretty well in the later rounds, grabbing Corrado, Connaution, Andersson, Tommernes, Cannata, aswell as some other good prospects that don't get as much recognition like McNally, Labate and Greiner.

The draft is generally a crap shoot, if you can get 1 player out of it that plays for you for a long time (picking where we pick) we should be happy. or in the shorter term, getting about 3-4 prospect in a draft year that make it past initial rights period and earn a entry level deal should be considered a success.

Drafts are generally a bust, teams are lucky to get 2 or more players out of it really.

I wasn't talking about the MG era specifically but mainly the Delorme era which is much longer. You can't judge anything on the last 3 years so I'm not bothering to. The preceding 12 years you can though. Any statement that we have improved in the last 3 years is simply speculation.

Anytime people say the draft is a crap shoot they don't understand scouting. If it's a crap shoot you're not doing your job.

A top end drafting organization should have a conversion rate, of NHL players that wind up playing 200+ games regardless of their role, should be 25% or 1 in 4. That means your 1st needs to be a good pick almost every year and you need one more NHL player every other year.

From 1999-2007 we have had 66 draft picks. They have produced 11 NHL players. Of those 11, six have been 1st round picks, the Sedins, Umberger, Kesler, Schneider and Grabner. The only other players were Brown, Bieksa, Hansen, Edler and Raymond.

Now, I ask you.... if that's not bad? Which franchise was worse?

This is a competitive task.... either you are in the top 50% or you are awful. We are nowhere near being in the top half of the league in this regard.

It's obvious you don't know all that much about him other than what his corsi rating and zone starts blah blah balh are anyways.

Lol alright.

Antics.

I think you are up to your old antics thinking that possibly the best, most promising defenseman 20 or under in this league is coming our way for Luongo especially when the team has finical issues and likely wants nothing to do with the contract.

Nice to see you are looking at the other teams POV like always.

I see there's a flurry of activity in the Luongo thread tonight.

Anyway SK, it's hard to argue with your anti-intellectual position regarding Mojo - I realize what I'm saying sounds like "1 point blah blah -7 blah blah highest ozone starts on his club blahblah worst relative corsi at -22.3 blah blah weak quality of competition blah blah, benched for a month blah blah, not trusted by Oates blah blah.... so I'm just going to ignore all that and trust your instincts that he's an upgrade for the Canucks, ok?

Regarding Larsson, there was a reason I suggested that you read he preceding pages.

not sure how anyone could have missed it the first couple times (unless they didn't read the preceding pages, but thanks for repeating yourself - it was a better read the third time.

probably wouldn't have been so confusing...if you read the preceding pages

instead you skated in, as you tend to, hitting anything that moves.

again SK, you've missed the majority of the back and forth between surfer and myself - he has an ongoing problem dealing with the fact Hodgson was traded, is unable to keep the events in that drama in context, and is very sensitive if people reference things like advanced stats that show that Hodgson wasn't necessarily our saviour, destined to deliver a cup to Vancouver last year, only to be foiled by the evil, self-defeating Gillis.org - and most importantly, he was very pretty, and now he's so far away.

Archived