The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

:lol: Two goals two shots, this first one a doozy, 2knd was not much better... Just thursday, Markstrom's doin great!

http://video.capital...t=WSH13&lang=en

edit; here's the second; five hole anyone???

http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,343&event=WSH17&lang=en

The problem is Markstrom is improving every single game he plays in Florida. Would the Panthers really need Luongo?

I think Florida is interested. Only issue is paying Luongo's salary.

Don't underestimate ownership having a part in it either. Getting Luongo puts fans in the seats. Plus he's a great mentor for Markstrom, and leader to the other young players. Luongo back to Florida might even make the headlines.

I have a theory that Tallon and Gillis might already have a deal done in principle, and they're just waiting for the right time. The Canucks wanna take advantage of having two goalies during the heaviest part of their schedule. And Florida wants to make sure they tank enough to get their top pick in the draft.

This move would also be a good way to get Florida's fan excited about next season. I hear that guy needs some cheering up. :lol:

Only problem is, Kuba we could use in place of Ballard. Kuba can also QB a powerplay, which Ballard can't.

If we added Upshall, we couldn't buy him out, and waiving him would mean we still have his cap hit. So we would have to free up around a couple mil to fit him. Which I guess could be done by doing something with Malhotra's contract.

There's also been rumors around for years about Upshall's character. Could just be rumors though. I don't see him being better than any of our current forwards though.

Don't underestimate ownership having a part in it either. Getting Luongo puts fans in the seats. Plus he's a great mentor for Markstrom, and leader to the other young players. Luongo back to Florida might even make the headlines.

I have a theory that Tallon and Gillis might already have a deal done in principle, and they're just waiting for the right time. The Canucks wanna take advantage of having two goalies during the heaviest part of their schedule. And Florida wants to make sure they tank enough to get their top pick in the draft.

This move would also be a good way to get Florida's fan excited about next season. I hear that guy needs some cheering up. :lol:

I like what Deniro has said.

I think Kopecky could be a good pickup, hes versatile, has size and grit can park infront of the net on a PP unit. Kopecky and Mattias would address some size for us, I dont know if I would be content on Kuba though, dont get me wrong he is a decent defenceman, but I would rather have a right handed shot, We could move Ballard and get White and a pick, or Foster, someone cheaper who is a ufa at years end but if they play well maybe they can be retained.

If we got Kopecky, Mattias and say petrovic and a 2nd rounder,

Would we have any interest in Mueller? Also what player would we add with Luo to make the deal equal with the contract #s, Deniro, your thoughts what is your deal with florida and Luo?

1. I agree, they absolutely should. But it seems they are going to go into sell mode here pretty quick. According to some prominent insiders. So maybe they won't be interested in making the move right now, although you have to think they still have some interest, and if they don't have alot now perhaps in the summer they will.

2. Yeah perhaps, I was of the mind that they would give Lindback a long look before looking elsewhere, and they have, it started off well but hasn't beem very good lately. I could see them having some interest, it just depends if they feel like they are in win now mode or if they are building to a greater opportunity, in many ways they are probably halfway in both boats. I think they should have interest, but at the same time, if they did I think there name would have surfaced in rumors. So at this point it is just our speculation. Hopefully they do though. Lindback won't carry them to a cup if thats what they want.

3. The issue with them is the contract, they aren't rich and they already have dipietro's massive contract, plus they aren't in win now mode, they are building to a better future really. Just kinda biding there time waiting for young talent. I can't really see them trading young assets when they are focused on the future, and most importantly I can't see them taking on the contract. I think there is reason to scratch the Isles off the list.

4. I think they could very well be in the running in the summer if Bryz costs them again, in which case there would be some interesting assets they have that could serve us well. But right now I don't think they would take on the contract with having Bryz. In the offseason they probably could be one of the top contenders though.

No mention of Bjugstad. Interesting.

But it does mention Shore. To me that means that Shore has proven himself enough to Tallon that he might be willing to part with Bjugstad. One thing to note is that Bjugstad doesn't have a contract, and Tallon might be getting nervous about it.

Well he's one of the players Gillis was rumored to have asked for. Could things be lining up here?

Different than the Schultz context in two senses, the more important one being that in the case of Bjugstad, he's a 1st rd pick, which would entitle the Panthers to a compensation 1st at the same spot in the draft if he doesn't sign.

Former CBA section C, Article 8.6:

"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft."

Not sure, tbh, what has been done in the new CBA to address this loophole.

Archived