The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Tonight just goes to show that either of our goalies can look average with poor D in front of them.

Luongo getting lit up in the playoffs is a result of this defense stinking it up.

If there is a trade that involves Schneider that can help our team now, Gillis has to consider it. Both goalies give us a chance to win, but Schneider allows us much more options in a trade.

So, to clarify, they won't be interested in an aging goaltender like Luo, but you're suggesting they'll want to re-sign Nabokov and bring him back at 38.

Something tells you....?

The idea that they will toll Thomas' contract so his cap hit applies another year is pretty far-fetched SK. His contract ends this year - he's a UFA. There is only one way that his contract can be tolled - that is if he actually returns to play for the Islanders next season - it can't be "tolled" if Thomas doesn't fulfill the final year of his contract.

In either event, what you're suggesting is that Luo's an aging goaltender they wouldn't be interested in, but they'd be interested in bringing back a 38 yr old, or 39 year old, at 5 million, who wouldn't have played an NHL game in nearly a year and a half...

Something tells me Luongo is as good or an option as the ones you're suggesting.

I'm not convinced you have as solid a grasp of looking at things from their perspective as you claim to.

Tonight just goes to show that either of our goalies can look average with poor D in front of them.

Luongo getting lit up in the playoffs is a result of this defense stinking it up.

If there is a trade that involves Schneider that can help our team now, Gillis has to consider it. Both goalies give us a chance to win, but Schneider allows us much more options in a trade.

Okay I'll break those down.

Thomas: When players don't report there contracts are simply tolled for a year, so this year on his deal (his last) carries over to next season if he doesn't report this year, which he isn't going too. That is why they traded for him, they get the cap hit on there cap and they don't pay him. Then if he comes over next year they can use him. Thats what happened with Nabokov then he decided to report.

Correct, but the options are the same, futures. There's not really any team that's prepared to offer an impact player for Schneider.

Plus we have to be aware of our cap situation with it dropping, if we take on a player with a big contract, that say has year remaining, that will leave us in a tough spot when the cap comes down.

Luongo gets paid 6.716 million this year.

Cory gets 3.5 million.

Shouldn't the goalie making almost double as the other goalie be playing way better than the other goalie. But yet there stat this year a fairly similar. Hmm Just a thought but with the cap going down next year wouldn't it be smarter to keep the cheaper goalie (who's younger) and use the saved money to acquire another piece for this team. Something that this team desperately needs.

Ok - a nice change of pace here.

I'll bite (even if hockeyyyyyinsiderrrrrr is the source haha)

Bryz has given up 13 goals in his last 4 games on only 84 shots...

Sv % has fallen to .899

Leighton is a UFA.

Some of the lustre has rubbed off the Flyers youth movement.

I think Holmgren will probably use one of his buyouts on the remaining 4 years of Pronger's (35+) 5 million cap hit. Pronger isn't ruling out playing, but he's being advised not to. If he's not better by the summer, it doesn't make much sense for Holmgren not to save the money and cap space.

Does Holmgren do something dramatic to reduce their goals against (82) and improve their chances of making the playoffs this year - being only 3 points out of 8th?

Couturier is having a sophomore-like season - 2 goals and -8 in 25 games - only 42.5% in the faceoff circle...

:bigblush:

Philly rumors now? I just want something to happen at this point. Not for the sake of making a trade but so we can get some help that we desperately need. However at this point I only see one thing happening. Coach V being fired or Newell Brown being fired. Both I'd be ok with. The fire AV rhetoric was annoying as hell but in a shortened season and with the way this team has played since last january it seems like the team isn't listening to him anymore.

How do you know we aren't being offered impact players? Last year we were offered Jeff Carter for Schneider. Are you saying you wouldn't want him now?

We're going to have to dump players regardless of what players we acquire this year. Booth and Ballard are both going to have to go. They get paid too much for what they do.

I'm sure there's teams that will take them off their hands.

Bottom line is, if Gillis doesn't want to give up anything of value to try and turn this team into a contender, then he doesn't value a Stanley Cup as much as he should. It should be an all or nothing attitude at this point.

They need to think like the Kings and be aggressive. If we need to give up Schneider, Edler or Jensen to get an impact player, then that's what it takes. Fans are tired of planning for a future if it doesn't involve a cup. Reality is, we're never going to have a better team that the one that we see now.

The ability to win is there, but they need help.

What I said was, I can't see a team that is in a position to offer us an impact player for Cory.

Carter was out there and made available. Who do you think is made available right now? So many teams are in the playoff picture that they won't give up a star, and who is selling and willing to move one? Florida? NYI? Niether have one. (Aside form JT who is going nowhere)

Perry might be available, that is still a bit cloudy, and they are also still in the playoff picture, so maybe they want to hold onto him, and even if they don't they won't want Schneider or Luongo. They have goaltenders, what will they want? And what makes sense to give up for a rental Cory Perry?

Aside from that who else? Jarome Iginla? Is he an impact player still? Whats the price? I imagine it would be significantly higher for us than it would other teams like the Pens, and he has a NTC, would he even waive it to come here?

This season is different than others, alot of teams are still in the picture, so there aren't as many sellers and teams aren't looking to give up impact players if they have a shot.

So if you can think of anyone out there that might be available, then bring it up for discussion but I don't think there is anyone out there right now willing to move an impact player for Cory Schneider.

And I understand your feeling on going all in, but there becomes a point where things can't be given up, we can't go all in and trade away our best prospects considering we already have few, and trading Alex Edler might be considered a lateral move.

Lol no he's not.

Markstrom has been a flop this year, I have watched Floridas last few games & he hasn't been impressive at all. You can tell he is still developing, and is likely at the point Schneider was at in 08 when he got that callup, when Lu was injured. So Lu can help Markstrom grow similar to what he did with Cory, then down the road Lu can retire or something. There are options. He won't play forever.

I think there is a certain price point Florida won't meet, but I think that if we were willing to lower our price to something very reasonable that they would do it. For a number of reasons.

They need better goaltending, as they want to continue the momentum they built last year (which has already taken a hit) but bringing Roberto in would create a buzz has he as one of the best and most popular Panthers of all time. So it would be a draw with the fans.

And since they aren't yet a contender and aren't yet paying to the cap ceiling, the fact he has pretty big cap hit with the bulk of his contract already paid off would also likely be a nice thing.

All this of course coming at a cheaper price and us taking some salary back. This has been my proposed offer:

VAN

Marcel Goc

Alex Petrovic

Scottie Upshall

2nd Round Pick

FLA

Roberto Luongo

Then we throw in some contracts (E.I Tochkin, Ebbet, exc.) To even it up so we are at our limit of 50.

- Upshall can be a 4th liner for the playoffs, or better if injuries set in then we buy him out

- Goc is the 3C we need and he is on a cheap contract which is a bonus (1.7)

- Petrovic is a really nice young prospect, the Panthers seem to have alot of young defenders in Kulikov, and Gudbranson aswell as some coming in Robak, Matheson, and Bengtsson. And then Campbell is still under contract for awhile. So they can afford to give up 1.

- The 2nd is nice to get in this deep draft year

Wouldn't that be a cheap enough price and be enticing enough for FLA to pull the trigger? If not now atleast in the Summer.

Correct, but the options are the same, futures. There's not really any team that's prepared to offer an impact player for Schneider.

Plus we have to be aware of our cap situation with it dropping, if we take on a player with a big contract, that say has year remaining, that will leave us in a tough spot when the cap comes down.

How about biting the bullet and getting an already drafted future T1D for Schneider?

Another thing that MUST occur is a coaching change. As lovely as Vigneault has been, I believe that the player/ coach relationship has run its course. With the player personnel the Canucks have, this team's lineup could look drastically different with a new coach and rightly so. It is the conundrum of "don't break what works" against "other teams have the book on the Canucks"; they are easy to play against because they keep to the 'system" when the system is what's killing them right now.

The Canucks have the offensive players it needs to win games but they're badly spread around. Schroeder is NOT a 4th liner and Kassian is a waste of time on this team if he isn't developed properly, which means putting him on the 1st line and letting him grow into his own. Booth is not a bad player but he has no one to play with. At least Schroeder passes. Lapierre is actually the perfect 3C outside of Kesler and Kesler isn't a 2C; he's either the best 3C in the game and/ or a 2RW.

For the defense, Bieksa is being run down hard. While Hamhuis can hold his own, the Canucks also have Ballard. It boggles my mind how Garrison can play in front of Ballard, as well as Ballard being the bitch of the team. Makes no sense to have these salaries joggled around like dolls.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - KASSIAN

RAYMOND - SCHROEDER - BOOTH

HIGGINS - LAPIERRE - HANSEN

SESTITO - _________ - WEISE

HAMHUIS - BIEKSA

GARRISON - BALLARD

TANEV - BARKER

LUONGO

SCHNEIDER

This is how the team should be until reinforcements come in; Kesler off IR, a Schneider trade:

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - KASSIAN

BOOTH - __________ - KESLER

HIGGINS - LAPIERRE - HANSEN

SESTITO - _________ - WEISE

HAMHUIS - BIEKSA

GARRISON - BALLARD

TANEV - BARKER

LUONGO

________

Nonetheless, how ever one cuts it, the Canucks are officially thin on D and will not go far if they don't get a T1D.

Archived