The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Canucks have won the cup if it was Tampa Bay instead of Boston in the final?

Canuckler87

I remember watching that series hoping that Tampa would win. Tampa was a team that played an offensive game similar to the Canucks and I thought we could take advantage of their weak defence and goalie. On the other hand, I thought Boston would beat the living daylights out of us and to be honest, I was very surprised that they didn’t try and do that until later in the series. It’s too bad because I think that series partially contributed to the different type of play we have seen from this team for the last couple of years.

You guys can thank Colin Campbell for ordering his staff (refs) to put their whistles away in a game 7 of a playoff run... Little Gregory Campbell needed his Stanley Cup ring.. Or at least a shot at Stanley Cup...

I think Tampa-Vancouver would have been a more enjoyable series to watch, and it would have been equally as hard as the bruins just on another level... More skill rather than more toughness.... we lost to a team of goons mostly due to atrocious referring... Which is not changing any time soon...

Regardless, it's in the past and we need to worry about the future.

You guys can thank Colin Campbell for ordering his staff (refs) to put their whistles away in a game 7 of a playoff run... Little Gregory Campbell needed his Stanley Cup ring.. Or at least a shot at Stanley Cup...

I think Tampa-Vancouver would have been a more enjoyable series to watch, and it would have been equally as hard as the bruins just on another level... More skill rather than more toughness.... we lost to a team of goons mostly due to atrocious referring... Which is not changing any time soon...

Regardless, it's in the past and we need to worry about the future.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda i know. But the lightning were an overtime goal away from facing us in the final 2 years ago. I think we would've won that series cause Tampa Bay was a skill team like San Jose with star-power. More wide open & their goaltending was above-average instead of stellar. I think it would've been an offensive final & our skill would've overcome theirs.

Honestly we probably would have been beaten just the same. In some ways Tampa was a better team than Boston and really should have beaten them in the conference finals. The only thing that might change it would be that maybe Hammer doesn't get injured and maybe Rome doesn't get suspended. Those things aside this team already had the crap kicked out of it. Most of the top 6 was hurt and iirc Tampa much like Boston was relatively healthy.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda i know. But the lightning were an overtime goal away from facing us in the final 2 years ago. I think we would've won that series cause Tampa Bay was a skill team like San Jose with star-power. More wide open & their goaltending was above-average instead of stellar. I think it would've been an offensive final & our skill would've overcome theirs.

Honestly we probably would have been beaten just the same. In some ways Tampa was a better team than Boston and really should have beaten them in the conference finals. The only thing that might change it would be that maybe Hammer doesn't get injured and maybe Rome doesn't get suspended. Those things aside this team already had the crap kicked out of it. Most of the top 6 was hurt and iirc Tampa much like Boston was relatively healthy.

In Game 6, Tampa vs Boston, Horton had an altercation with a fan which involved throwing his water bottle at the fan. That should have been an automatic one game suspension and if the league actually followed their rules then he wouldn't have played in the seventh game which means he wouldn't have scored the winning goal in overtime.

In Game 6, Tampa vs Boston, Horton had an altercation with a fan which involved throwing his water bottle at the fan. That should have been an automatic one game suspension and if the league actually followed their rules then he wouldn't have played in the seventh game which means he wouldn't have scored the winning goal in overtime.

Archived