The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Canucks vs Sharks Rnd 1**

carlweezer

Just reviewing the game by game matchups of SJS-Van this yr. Other than the 4-1 blowout loss, they deserved much better in the other 2 games.

Schneider had a better EV SV% than Niemi in both games.

Sedins dominated their matchups - they had the toughest matchups cause Kes/Roy weren't playing (Hank +27 corsi combined from both games)

Barker and Ebbett were horrid via corsi

Basically, the Canucks top 6 dominated while their bottom 6 were exposed. Considering who they dressed in those games, it's not surprising.

SJS won those games cause dominated special teams. Unfortunately for them, they've never seen Kesler or Roy on the PP/PK.

With Kesler, Van's PP is operating at 24.24% which is good enough for 3rd in the league (4% better than SJS).

With Kesler, Van's PK is operating at 90.9% which is good enough for best in the league (5% better than SJS).

*Note: It's a very small sample size w/ Kesler, but it's all we have.

Van's puck possession numbers have cratered since trade deadline day. I'd attribute it to the loss of Bieksa/Tanev who are their 2 best puck possession d-men. Even if they only get Bieksa back (and keep Barker out of the lineup) - I sill like Van in 5 or 6 games.

Just reviewing the game by game matchups of SJS-Van this yr. Other than the 4-1 blowout loss, they deserved much better in the other 2 games.

Schneider had a better EV SV% than Niemi in both games.

Sedins dominated their matchups - they had the toughest matchups cause Kes/Roy weren't playing (Hank +27 corsi combined from both games)

Barker and Ebbett were horrid via corsi

Basically, the Canucks top 6 dominated while their bottom 6 were exposed. Considering who they dressed in those games, it's not surprising.

SJS won those games cause dominated special teams. Unfortunately for them, they've never seen Kesler or Roy on the PP/PK.

With Kesler, Van's PP is operating at 24.24% which is good enough for 3rd in the league (4% better than SJS).

With Kesler, Van's PK is operating at 90.9% which is good enough for best in the league (5% better than SJS).

*Note: It's a very small sample size w/ Kesler, but it's all we have.

Van's puck possession numbers have cratered since trade deadline day. I'd attribute it to the loss of Bieksa/Tanev who are their 2 best puck possession d-men. Even if they only get Bieksa back (and keep Barker out of the lineup) - I sill like Van in 5 or 6 games.

As RunningWild (above) pointed out...you cannot really factor the reg season games into this series...All I remember is Schneider not being that impressive in our first game against the Sharks early in the shortened season (Lou played after this and went on a roll before CS found his mojo again....)

Second game was close and went into a SO..and in the third game against the Sharks ,we probably iced our weakest lineup in 5 years....I don't think the Sharks ,respectfully,are all they're cracked up to be,and I feel that we can take them in 6 games.......Im not saying we can win the SC ,but we can beat this team.

Disregarding the regular season stats, I still think it's gonna be a 6 or 7 game series. Longer than most would give the Sharks credit for. I think the Canucks will start a bit slow due to players slotting back in after coming off injuries, but we should still prevail in the series.

Not only that but TSN in a lot of places in Canada is not part of basic cable so many Canucks fans in Canada including me will not be able to watch this series on TV at home. I cannot believe CBC is not showing this....time to petition!

Van has to take the first two home games to win the series. IMO they can play a physical series against SJ and shut them down. No problem with the first two line matchups but SJ's 3rd line makes me nervous. Schneider will outplay Nieme.

Not only that but TSN in a lot of places in Canada is not part of basic cable so many Canucks fans in Canada including me will not be able to watch this series on TV at home. I cannot believe CBC is not showing this....time to petition!

Archived