The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

How many people were let in at a time? Is the hour long cap strictly enforced?

I was there from 8-950 but I did notice that at 845 they didn’t announce anything but at 945 they did announce that if your workout time was 9am you have 15 mins left. 

Second gym workout coming up. I'm incredibly sore from yesterday. More than anything, my stamina certainly took a nosedive over the past 2 months, and definitely my legs, due to not pushing myself in my squats. I jumped right back to my squat weight pre-lockdown, and while I got through it, I'm having trouble walking today lol.

Today's workout looks to be better, except for my lunges, which I heavily neglected the last 2 months. This should be a blast.

Had a few gym workouts now....I am much weaker than before, especially my deadlift. I had been doing pretty intense kettlebell workouts during the full lockdown. So, I actually think my stamina and "fitness" has increased. However, nothing besides heavy barbell lifting, actually makes you better at heavy barbell lifting. My bench and squat are probably down about 15-20%, and I can probably rebuild that in 6 weeks to 2 months. My deadlift seems much weaker though. My ability to grip the heavy bar is greatly reduced.

Hopefully, I can rebuild the strength and keep the fitness levels higher, and I may actually come out ahead. I've also noticed an improvement in my posture from the kettlebell work. Hopefully that translates into better lifts too.

41 minutes ago, taxi said:

Had a few gym workouts now....I am much weaker than before, especially my deadlift. I had been doing pretty intense kettlebell workouts during the full lockdown. So, I actually think my stamina and "fitness" has increased. However, nothing besides heavy barbell lifting, actually makes you better at heavy barbell lifting. My bench and squat are probably down about 15-20%, and I can probably rebuild that in 6 weeks to 2 months. My deadlift seems much weaker though. My ability to grip the heavy bar is greatly reduced.

Hopefully, I can rebuild the strength and keep the fitness levels higher, and I may actually come out ahead. I've also noticed an improvement in my posture from the kettlebell work. Hopefully that translates into better lifts too.

Interesting, I'm the exact opposite. I was able to increase my weight significantly on my arms, chest, and shoulders during the lockdown. My stamina and fitness decreased dramatically. Was able to knock out 3 sets of 50 on burpees at the beginning of my workouts before, but I'm only able to do 3 x 30, now.

I've gained about 7 pounds in the last 3 months, and I know that's a combination of muscle and belly fat. Haven't been eating incredibly healthy, which I'm perfectly fine with. My arms and chest are noticably bigger, though. To be fair, I did begin changing my workout routine in January to bulk up more and focus less on cardio, so that was bound to happen. However, I do feel like I should switch and cut back on bulking.

The problem is that it's just so much fun pushing myself for more weight.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Interesting, I'm the exact opposite. I was able to increase my weight significantly on my arms, chest, and shoulders during the lockdown. My stamina and fitness decreased dramatically. Was able to knock out 3 sets of 50 on burpees at the beginning of my workouts before, but I'm only able to do 3 x 30, now.

I've gained about 7 pounds in the last 3 months, and I know that's a combination of muscle and belly fat. Haven't been eating incredibly healthy, which I'm perfectly fine with. My arms and chest are noticably bigger, though. To be fair, I did begin changing my workout routine in January to bulk up more and focus less on cardio, so that was bound to happen. However, I do feel like I should switch and cut back on bulking.

The problem is that it's just so much fun pushing myself for more weight.

I'm definitely the same way. I much prefer aiming at lifting heavier than training for endurance. In the lockdown, the only weights i had access to was a single 40 lbs dumbbell and a 52 lbs kettlebell. Nothing heavy. I was deadlifting about 400 lbs before the lockdown. Simply no way to improve on that or even keep that up, without access to the heavy barbell stuff. My max has probably dropped down to 330lbs or so. I didn't try a max, but I was lifting in the low 200s and it just felt a lot heavier than normal. 

I gained about 2 lbs...despite actually feeling leaner. It's possible that the weight is muscle in groups I wasn't training enough. The kettlebell stuff may have evened me out more, causing muscle growth in some areas. I could just be fooling myself and have gotten slightly fatter too.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, taxi said:

Use straps; hand strength is almost irrelevant

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Use straps; hand strength is almost irrelevant

If you're struggling to pull 400 pounds because of a lack of grip strength, I'd say you should look at improving that grip strength before using straps. It'll pay dividends on just about all other lifts and studies have shown a correlation between grip strength and positive health outcomes in men. Of course, correlation doesn't equal causation.

That being said, a healthy grown man should be able to hold a 400 pound barbell. I'd skip the straps and stick with a double-overhand grip until the grip strength caught up.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

If you're struggling to pull 400 pounds because of a lack of grip strength, I'd say you should look at improving that grip strength before using straps. It'll pay dividends on just about all other lifts and studies have shown a correlation between grip strength and positive health outcomes in men. Of course, correlation doesn't equal causation.

That being said, a healthy grown man should be able to hold a 400 pound barbell. I'd skip the straps and stick with a double-overhand grip until the grip strength caught up.

My experience being I couldn't do more than 315 for 6 without straps without the bar slipping out. With straps I went up to 400 in a few weeks because my lower body was ready and my hand strength was lagging behind and slowing me down. Maybe my hand strength eventually caught up but I never verified it once I had straps. 

8 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

My experience being I couldn't do more than 315 for 6 without straps without the bar slipping out. With straps I went up to 400 in a few weeks because my lower body was ready and my hand strength was lagging behind and slowing me down. Maybe my hand strength eventually caught up but I never verified it once I had straps. 

If I'm doing higher reps I'll use a mixed grip once the double-overhand fails. I guess I'd try straps for some higher rep stuff, I've just never bothered to buy any. I took @taxi's post to mean he was struggling to pull the weight off the ground at all due to a lack of grip strength.

13 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That's the issue I'm having, at higher reps the bar starts slipping.

3 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

That's the issue I'm having, at higher reps the bar starts slipping.

Chalk? 

Usually I just switch to a mixed grip once my hands tire out with the double-overhand grip. If you’re trying to go to true failure then straps would be better, but going to failure on deadlifts brings on its own set of issues. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Chalk? 

Usually I just switch to a mixed grip once my hands tire out with the double-overhand grip. If you’re trying to go to true failure then straps would be better, but going to failure on deadlifts brings on its own set of issues. 

I have a home gym in my basement.  My girlfriend complains that the chalk is filthy.  And the ventilation down there isn't the best either due to lower ceilings so the chalk particles in the air don't circulate all that well.

I think based on your comments that its possible I'm just doing too many reps on my deadlifts.  I'll try upping the weight and lowering the reps.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I have a home gym in my basement.  My girlfriend complains that the chalk is filthy.  And the ventilation down there isn't the best either due to lower ceilings so the chalk particles in the air don't circulate all that well.

I think based on your comments that its possible I'm just doing too many reps on my deadlifts.  I'll try upping the weight and lowering the reps.

Fair enough. If you're not acting like Lebron James every time you hit the chalk bowl then you ain't livin'.

Typically I don't do sets of more than like 5-6 on deadlifts, mostly cause I subscribe to that idea that that's how deadlifts are meant to be done. I'll throw in a set of high-rep "AMRAP" type stuff once in a while but always leave 1 or maybe 2 reps in the tank when I do it. Deadlifts are just too hard on the CNS if you're pushing it too hard.

• Cheers 1

Anytime Fitness user here, just started to go back. I've always been a early riser. When I was working I had no problem waking up at 3 am, working out and ready for work at 7 am. I'm not working now but am following the same schedule. The gym is very slow at that time. Just like everyone else, even though I worked out at home it's definitely not the same, and have gained weight as a result. My plan for blasting back into shape is to hit every station 5 times with low to medium weights and in between sets do some sort of step cardio movement. Maybe a couple of box jumps or step ups. I've been at it for a couple of days now and have noticed my energy levels boost WAY up and am feeling better about myself(what a good cure for depression!!) even though my weight and body shape has not really changed. Before the pandemic I was in shape and feeling good, I know it's going to be a long haul to get back there again!!

• Cheers 1