The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

31 minutes ago, taxi said:

Steroids, and many other PEDs, cause permanent changes in physiology, that will give you a permanent advantage. If MMA, or any other sport for that matter, was serious about banning their use, they would give out lifetime bans for cheaters. The fact of the matter is that professional sports make a lot of money off their athletes making big athletic achievements. They all look the other way. The testing is insanely lax in just about all of the professional sports, including MMA. They basically only catch athletes who get greedy or stupid. 

I hear what you're saying.

So, I find it very cool that this rotund 5'11 potato is the current heavy weight and light heavy weight ufc champ. He also has 17 years of clean drug testing. Just to show that one can reach the top without junk. Who would would think, looking at him, that he can drop any man on the planet in the cage. Heck, if I didn't recognise him I would probably stand with him. 

Daniel-Cormier-UFC-226-weigh-in.jpg.ac1512fb5a56ce69f5cbc7feb6fedaae.jpg

That said, the only man to ever beat him ,Jones, is suspended for getting popped for the juice. But even without it, Jon Jones is a freak. It's very sad that he has tainted his fighting legacy.

Side note- the ufc used to allow TRT. Since they stopped, half the guys that were using low testosterone as an excuse to use mostly withered up an blew away. Have a look at Vitor Belfort in his last fight getting kicked into retirement by Machida. ( Vitor is now juiced up again since retiring, haha, and looking to fight in less attentive circuits) Just was thinking about your permanent advantage statement. For some, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Looking for opinions

It is time for me to think ahead to switching up my strength training routine.

What are people's thoughts/experiences in doing twice a day, three times a week. 

Midday doing heavy compound (stronglifts), early evening doing isolation exercises. Is it possible to go after strength and get a little extra hypertrophy this way?

Off days would be active rest (walking, volleyball, hockey) and HIIT.

Or maybe I will just do it anyway and share my results.  :) 

To me that sounds like a lot but I guess there’s no such thing as over-training, just under-recovering. 

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

If Cormier took steroids..he wouldn’t have walked right into the head kick from Jones.

#facts

Jones is amazing, though I'm not with what you're implying.... You think juice would have made DC smarter? a better walker? Not sure what steroid you take for that.

Yeah though, what an insane beast Cormier would be if he was on the juice. 

Then again maybe these clean elite competitors have more will? maybe they don't take the short cuts that the juice monkeys take in their daily life and it pays off in the long run?

Anyway, the brilliant, suspended Jon Jones waits to fight again. All while making sure he doesn't leave another pregnant lady to cope after he hit and runs her in his car then scurries away with his nose candy. The guy makes great life choices, such a waste.

DC is set to take on a true juice giant in the MMA cage.. Brock 'the erect chest tattoo' Lesnar. Brock is has only won 1 of his last 4 MMA fights but he gets the title shot cause the whole world likes to look at big muscles. That said, Brock was a great college wrestler despite the men in tights gig he's now famous for. So with his size etc... he could upset DC. This was at one time supposed to be JJone's big money fight.

#smartpills

Edited by bishopshodan

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I hear what you're saying.

So, I find it very cool that this rotund 5'11 potato is the current heavy weight and light heavy weight ufc champ. He also has 17 years of clean drug testing. Just to show that one can reach the top without junk. Who would would think, looking at him, that he can drop any man on the planet in the cage. Heck, if I didn't recognise him I would probably stand with him. 

Daniel-Cormier-UFC-226-weigh-in.jpg.ac1512fb5a56ce69f5cbc7feb6fedaae.jpg

That said, the only man to ever beat him ,Jones, is suspended for getting popped for the juice. But even without it, Jon Jones is a freak. It's very sad that he has tainted his fighting legacy.

Side note- the ufc used to allow TRT. Since they stopped, half the guys that were using low testosterone as an excuse to use mostly withered up an blew away. Have a look at Vitor Belfort in his last fight getting kicked into retirement by Machida. ( Vitor is now juiced up again since retiring, haha, and looking to fight in less attentive circuits) Just was thinking about your permanent advantage statement. For some, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Whatever happened to the kiwi mark hunt who kinda blew the whistle on peds a while back?

Just now, riffraff said:

Whatever happened to the kiwi mark hunt who kinda blew the whistle on peds a while back?

Still fighting and still complaining about PED abuse. He brings up great arguments. He pointed out that Brock made like 2mil on his last fight and the fine was only a few hundred thousand I believe. Then Brock takes a suspension and just goes back to WWE until its over. I think Hunt still has has a court case pending against the ufc while he still fights under contract for them.

Good reference btw with the topic at hand. Hunt is also a rotund man that is a real hell of a fighter...similar body to DC and that Fedor ('arguably' heavy weight GOAT) guy.

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Still fighting and still complaining about PED abuse. He brings up great arguments. He pointed out that Brock made like 2mil on his last fight and the fine was only a few hundred thousand I believe. Then Brock takes a suspension and just goes back to WWE until its over. I think Hunt still has has a court case pending against the ufc while he still fights under contract for them.

Good reference btw with the topic at hand. Hunt is also a rotund man that is a real hell of a fighter...similar body to DC and that Fedor ('arguably' heavy weight GOAT) guy.

Ya I’m a fan.....i have no time for peds.  I’m honestly more entertained knowing that an athlete has trained naturally - especially when it comes time mma or strength sports.

spent 9 months in NZ a few years back too, so always got the back of an allblack.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Ya I’m a fan.....i have no time for peds.  I’m honestly more entertained knowing that an athlete has trained naturally - especially when it comes time mma or strength sports.

spent 9 months in NZ a few years back too, so always got the back of an allblack.

Me too, how could one look in the mirror knowing they cheat in a sport where you try to physically hurt your opponent?

However in MMA, perhaps extreme weight cutting to get into a lighter division is worse  than PED abuse but that's another discussion.

I cringe when I see little kids looking up to WWE stars cause they don't know that those bodies are unattainable naturally. 

I have no problem with adults doing the stuff, to each their own. But be careful thinking that your size makes you a great fighter. I have been around a lot of trained people, martial arts was a big big part of my life for years. So anyway, another guy I knew back in training was as very decorated Muay Thai fighter. He was cocky, yet nice but did not back down from anyone. He would get into scraps downtown often with big guys. I felt so bad for some of them...they would be fronting and pushing ...then they would be sleeping. Skill over size any day....however, if you have both...then that's trouble.

I'm jealous, I've always wanted to go to NZ.

58 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Me too, how could one look in the mirror knowing they cheat in a sport where you try to physically hurt your opponent?

However in MMA, perhaps extreme weight cutting to get into a lighter division is worse  than PED abuse but that's another discussion.

I cringe when I see little kids looking up to WWE stars cause they don't know that those bodies are unattainable naturally. 

I have no problem with adults doing the stuff, to each their own. But be careful thinking that your size makes you a great fighter. I have been around a lot of trained people, martial arts was a big big part of my life for years. So anyway, another guy I knew back in training was as very decorated Muay Thai fighter. He was cocky, yet nice but did not back down from anyone. He would get into scraps downtown often with big guys. I felt so bad for some of them...they would be fronting and pushing ...then they would be sleeping. Skill over size any day....however, if you have both...then that's trouble.

I'm jealous, I've always wanted to go to NZ.

I agree to each their own as far as the health decisions made while training.  As far as weight cutting goes I’m sure you’ve seen as many instances of that backfiring as I have.  It can provide success but not always.

when it comes to who children look up to it’s on the parents to explain the truth - obviously.  In this day and age, a child that looks up to an athlete despite not knowing what is behind the scenes is still more or less a positive compared to what other so called “idols” there are out there in the celebrity or mainstream music world etc.

NZ is fantastic.  Drove up and down both islands and ended up renting a house with my wife for about 7 months in a rural town of 300.  The only place I could live outside of BC..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did 30 laps in the pool last night, then as I am getting out I pulled my right calf.  Trying to act all coy with the hot lifeguards around me I limp into the hot tub where I then tweak my left hamstring lol.  I am hurting today. 

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I did 30 laps in the pool last night, then as I am getting out I pulled my right calf.  Trying to act all coy with the hot lifeguards around me I limp into the hot tub where I then tweak my left hamstring lol.  I am hurting today. 

Cramp or pull?

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

Thanks.  Kinda thought so.

Sorry for the short answer.

have you been riding for some time or have you been training your legs in any other way?

this winter I threw in a leg day once a week despite my usual running schedule.  I had somewhat hit a plateau relative to speed.  Anyhow,  my legs could handle the leg day with one day of total rest per week.

edit

stretches are your friends 

Edited by riffraff

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Sorry for the short answer.

have you been riding for some time or have you been training your legs in any other way?

this winter I threw in a leg day once a week despite my usual running schedule.  I had somewhat hit a plateau relative to speed.  Anyhow,  my legs could handle the leg day with one day of total rest per week.

edit

stretches are your friends 

Leg day is just once week.

I'll just keep my regular PPL schedule and recognize biking everyday as cardio.

Stretches are something I'm lazy to do.  But learned I need to do them after pulling / hurting a few muscles / joints. 

Oh boy, I worked out and am feeling it!  I ran for 20 minutes, and then did a 20 min bike, and strength training - using weights for 3 sets of each for walking lunges, leg extensions, single leg extensions, hip abductions, bicep curl with overhead press, shoulder taps, and oblique twists. 

Now it's time to work on my quilt until bedtime! 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, brilac said:

Oh boy, I worked out and am feeling it!  I ran for 20 minutes, and then did a 20 min bike, and strength training - using weights for 3 sets of each for walking lunges, leg extensions, single leg extensions, hip abductions, bicep curl with overhead press, shoulder taps, and oblique twists. 

Now it's time to work on my quilt until bedtime! 

Nice work! Sounds like you’ve been progressing, keep at it and enjoy the grind!