The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

28 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

A torn rotator cuff 5 years ago left untreated should've healed itself, as it was a minor tear (assuming, because if it was anything serious or a full tear you would've known right away when you couldn't lift your arm).

However, the position of your whole shoulder girdle is probably altered now. 

I'm assuming there's a ton of scar tissue they want to break up with shockwave? 

Physio seems to think it’s still a minor tear. But you’re right, the issue is the movement of my scap. I guess I developed compensatory patterns that have become heavily ingrained. Rehab includes resistance band work that focuses on correcting this stuff. The RC is still very weak. My arm shakes when I raise it past a certain point (maybe halfway to parallel) and the physio could easily overpower me doing those tests where he’d put arm in different positions and pushes against it. 

By shockwave you do mean the electrotherapy stuff? They’ve been doing that as well as ultrasound. 

Thinking back on it, you’re probably right about it healing itself. I remember the pain was pretty unbearable for maybe 6-8 months but I ignored it because I didn’t want to miss baseball season. Since then I’ve felt more of a dull ache rather than real pain. Back then I couldn’t do much with the arm without pain- couldn’t raise it, couldn’t lean on it (e.g. leaning against a desk or on my stomach to read). 

20 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Physio seems to think it’s still a minor tear. But you’re right, the issue is the movement of my scap. I guess I developed compensatory patterns that have become heavily ingrained. Rehab includes resistance band work that focuses on correcting this stuff. The RC is still very weak. My arm shakes when I raise it past a certain point (maybe halfway to parallel) and the physio could easily overpower me doing those tests where he’d put arm in different positions and pushes against it. 

By shockwave you do mean the electrotherapy stuff? They’ve been doing that as well as ultrasound. 

Thinking back on it, you’re probably right about it healing itself. I remember the pain was pretty unbearable for maybe 6-8 months but I ignored it because I didn’t want to miss baseball season. Since then I’ve felt more of a dull ache rather than real pain. Back then I couldn’t do much with the arm without pain- couldn’t raise it, couldn’t lean on it (e.g. leaning against a desk or on my stomach to read). 

There are many forms of electrotherapy (IFC, TENS, EMS, Ultrasound, Shockwave) but shockwave is relatively new. You'll know if it's shockwave because it is loud and makes like a "cracking" noise over and over

If scar tissue over the years has moved your scapula it could be permanent. You can use bands for stability and external rotation but given the amount of time passed, it might be a nuisance you have permanently. 

9 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

If scar tissue over the years has moved your scapula it could be permanent. You can use bands for stability and external rotation but given the amount of time passed, it might be a nuisance you have permanently. 

Well that’s certainly disheartening. I was hoping to return to near full range of motion and movement patterns. I miss being able to do pushing movements or throwing properly. 

13 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Well that’s certainly disheartening. I was hoping to return to near full range of motion and movement patterns. I miss being able to do pushing movements or throwing properly. 

You can return to full range. But your scapulohumeral rhythm will be off which means you might get some discomfort or pain in one of the joints which will effect your sustainability for that movement. But you'll be able to lift your arms over head again and do the viking clap at Canucks game. 

3 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

You can return to full range. But your scapulohumeral rhythm will be off which means you might get some discomfort or pain in one of the joints which will effect your sustainability for that movement. But you'll be able to lift your arms over head again and do the viking clap at Canucks game. 

That’s fine by me, I can deal with the pain. I just want to be able to bench, OHP, and throw properly again. And of course throw in some Viking claps for our lord and saviour Elias Pettersson. 

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

That’s fine by me, I can deal with the pain. I just want to be able to bench, OHP, and throw properly again. And of course throw in some Viking claps for our lord and saviour Elias Pettersson. 

When you bench, keep the bar 2 inches above your chest maximum. That'll help you bench. It may suck if you like going all the way to chest but prioritize health of your shoulder. 

33 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

When you bench, keep the bar 2 inches above your chest maximum. That'll help you bench. It may suck if you like going all the way to chest but prioritize health of your shoulder. 

I don’t see any bench happening for the foreseeable future but I’ll keep this in mind. 

Would using dumbbells be better or worse? On the one hand it feels better because it allows a more natural path (I tend to have my hands about halfway between neutral and pronated, feels best) but on the other, wouldn’t it be less stable? Which might not be an issue once I improve my RC

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I don’t see any bench happening for the foreseeable future but I’ll keep this in mind. 

Would using dumbbells be better or worse? On the one hand it feels better because it allows a more natural path (I tend to have my hands about halfway between neutral and pronated, feels best) but on the other, wouldn’t it be less stable? Which might not be an issue once I improve my RC

If anything that would help the RC more IF loaded and progressed appropriately after the injury has healed. I am coming in mid conversation and don't know the history re your injury but I haven't BB benched in years and my shoulders have thanked me. They feel way better after using DBs. The single arm DB bench press is also an underutilized option. Good core exercise if you do it right and the loads used are much lighter. Depends what your goals are though. If you must BB bench I would follow NPFs advice - don't go bar to chest. Use a yoga block or something similar on your cehst as your target.

my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

yup. I must be old. That or it's because I've been doing this for 8 years quite regularly and it is all finally taking its toll on my body. I tweaked my upper back some time last week, maybe my spine, doing squats. And I don't mean going through the motion, but rather taking the weight off the rack and stepping back. I could feel the weight pressing on my spine and every now and then it gives me a little reminder that it's not 100%. More like 95%. Such as leaning over at the sink to brush my teeth. I could feel a faint, quick jolt of discomfort in that spot.

12 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

If anything that would help the RC more IF loaded and progressed appropriately after the injury has healed. I am coming in mid conversation and don't know the history re your injury but I haven't BB benched in years and my shoulders have thanked me. They feel way better after using DBs. The single arm DB bench press is also an underutilized option. Good core exercise if you do it right and the loads used are much lighter. Depends what your goals are though. If you must BB bench I would follow NPFs advice - don't go bar to chest. Use a yoga block or something similar on your cehst as your target.

my 2 cents.

Agreed with ironman. The key part of that advice is after the injury has healed

Wrap a theraband under neath a bench and do supine flyes and presses with bands progressing in colour for now. Hold the squeeze after each rep and you'll actually get a pretty decent pump.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Agreed with ironman. The key part of that advice is after the injury has healed

Wrap a theraband under neath a bench and do supine flyes and presses with bands progressing in colour for now. Hold the squeeze after each rep and you'll actually get a pretty decent pump.

Physio told me this morning that the movement of my scap has actually improved pretty significantly since last week. I expect it’ll still be a while before my shoulder’s all good, considering I’m trying to undo a few years of neglect, but it was encouraging nonetheless. 

• Upvote 1

Speaking of squats,

I mentioned it some time ago. Does anybody get their ass kicked by split squats? I don't get why I almost feel like passing out when I do them and while I do good sets, hard sets, they aren't anything that should be overwhelming. I can do 5-8 sets 5 reps heavy barbell squats, and the same for leg press, and sometimes even a combination of them and feel just fine. The other night doing 5 sets of split squats, I felt extremely fatigued like if I laid down I would go to sleep, and felt like I was about to pass out. 

Dunno.. the body is one hell of a weird thing sometimes.. 

^^ Split squats kill me..I should probably do them more. It’s been at least a year since I’ve done them.

Had McDonalds yesterday for dinner..woke up this morning 5.3lbs heavier than the previous day. All that sodium and water retention got me lookin puffy like the pilsbury doughboy.

Went to the gym, and did the elliptical with the incline at 100 for 35 mins to really work my bottom. I can feel the fat melting away! Then I did a 10 min run for a speed between 4.-7 - 5.1. 

Now it's off to the grocery store to buy kitty litter.

Edited by brilac

9 hours ago, HI5 said:

^^ Split squats kill me..I should probably do them more. It’s been at least a year since I’ve done them.

Had McDonalds yesterday for dinner..woke up this morning 5.3lbs heavier than the previous day. All that sodium and water retention got me lookin puffy like the pilsbury doughboy.

They are good, you can feel them differently afterwards from traditional squats. But as mentioned they whoop my ass and I have no idea why.