The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

On 12/10/2018 at 7:40 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Gym peeves: workout couples. Go home.

People on their cells between sets for minutes. Why even come then? 

Old people trying to lift way too much because "they could back in the day." Some guy had his 10 year old kid spotting his four plate press on the smith. Or at least the attempt. He couldn't even do three plates..

People slamming weights with deadlifts. The objective is not to slam that 225 into the floor as hard as you can. If people with 500 can do it relatively quiet, you can as well..

All of the above.

Also:  saw a punk picking on his gf at  the gym...did NOT go over well with me.  Tried to mind my business, but they were right beside me.  He actually was ordering her around...like to put his weights away after use, add more plates on, etc.  Then he made her do some lifts and was berating her and was such an ass..."come on,  you can do more than that...you're not even trying".  She was all of 82 pounds and it was clear he had no idea about the difference between motivating and bullying.  I just had to, I couldn't stand it any longer.   She was starting to tear up and it was humiliating.  It seemed like an abusive relationship and he was so absolutely annoying....oblivious to those around him.  Actually spent a great deal of time staring at himself in the mirror and...gag, flexing in front of it!

Told him (nicely), that there was a way to do it.  And that she seemed to be "trying" to me.  He eased off, but I'm sure his ego needs work more than the rest of him did.   Was such a GOOF.  Probably will play for Boston one day.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Haha, come to think of it.....

(No, he was a scrawny punk with little man syndrome).  More like:

image.png

Oh sweet :( .  if you see him again give him a kick in the crackers from we would ya please.  Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

All of the above.

Also:  saw a punk picking on his gf at  the gym...did NOT go over well with me.  Tried to mind my business, but they were right beside me.  He actually was ordering her around...like to put his weights away after use, add more plates on, etc.  Then he made her do some lifts and was berating her and was such an ass..."come on,  you can do more than that...you're not even trying".  She was all of 82 pounds and it was clear he had no idea about the difference between motivating and bullying.  I just had to, I couldn't stand it any longer.   She was starting to tear up and it was humiliating.  It seemed like an abusive relationship and he was so absolutely annoying....oblivious to those around him.  Actually spent a great deal of time staring at himself in the mirror and...gag, flexing in front of it!

Told him (nicely), that there was a way to do it.  And that she seemed to be "trying" to me.  He eased off, but I'm sure his ego needs work more than the rest of him did.   Was such a GOOF.  Probably will play for Boston one day.

Next time he is mean to her.....

B73B680E-2D71-4079-B4D8-A35194CFE17A.gif

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Scorsese film with a top notch cast!

Jokes aside.

you did the right thing.  So many people don’t act in situations like that.

at the very least hopefully you made the guy aware that people notice his behaviour.

you could also make the gym staff aware as I’m sure that behaviour is against policy....a word from staff or removal of a gym pass could be enough to change the mans actions.

Edited by riffraff

13 hours ago, riffraff said:

Jokes aside.

at the very least hopefully you made the guy aware that people notice his behaviour.

you could also make the gym staff aware as I’m sure that behaviour is against policy....a word from staff or removal of a gym pass could be enough to change the mans actions.

If I was @debluvscanucks I would have dropped the stone cold stunner on his asssss..

qATkj31.gif 

in actuality I probably wouldn’t have even noticed, I literally just space out and have my music volume high enough to not really hear anything. 

13 hours ago, riffraff said:

Jokes aside.

It's a gym where it's unstaffed after regular hours...fob in/out and there are security buttons for issues.  But I did let them know next time I was there.  And I'd told my workout partner about it and the next time she was there without me she phoned me to say "he's back".  Described him and he was back at it, so she took over (she's a little spitfire).

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

In that weird limbo where Christmas just ended 4 days ago and I go on vacation in 5 days and my brain is thinking "what's the point of going to the gym a week isn't going to make a difference" 

A week is huge, even if just to maintain a bit. Take it easy if you have to, or do something at home.

14 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

In that weird limbo where Christmas just ended 4 days ago and I go on vacation in 5 days and my brain is thinking "what's the point of going to the gym a week isn't going to make a difference" 

I read somewhere that it takes about two weeks of no training for muscle to start breaking down. 

Train this week, party next week and train when you’re back. Nothin wrong with carb loadin w/beers.

11 minutes ago, HI5 said:

I read somewhere that it takes about two weeks of no training for muscle to start breaking down. 

Train this week, party next week and train when you’re back. Nothin wrong with carb loadin w/beers.

Either one of our sources could be wrong/outdated but in the conditioning course I took during my first year of college I was told it was 4 weeks. Not sure what kinda nutrition that entailed though. I imagine that with proper nutrition it would be closer to 4 weeks before muscle breakdown begins. 

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Either one of our sources could be wrong/outdated but in the conditioning course I took during my first year of college I was told it was 4 weeks. Not sure what kinda nutrition that entailed though. I imagine that with proper nutrition it would be closer to 4 weeks before muscle breakdown begins. 

My information would have been from a random google search rabbit hole. So I’d be more inclined to lean towards your source.

Usually when I’m on vacation I’ll try to sneak in one or two full body workouts and just load the plate up with proteins. I spend a lot of my time at the bar and usually comeback a few pounds lighter.

9 minutes ago, HI5 said:

My information would have been from a random google search rabbit hole. So I’d be more inclined to lean towards your source.

Usually when I’m on vacation I’ll try to sneak in one or two full body workouts and just load the plate up with proteins. I spend a lot of my time at the bar and usually comeback a few pounds lighter.

I think you probably deplete some glycogen stores and maybe come back a little dehydrated after the booze. I find the same thing, and your first workout or two back you’re not as strong as you were before you left but after a week back at the gym you’re right where you were prior to vacation.