The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

On 1/11/2019 at 12:07 PM, HI5 said:

As many pull up negatives you can do, followed by machine pull downs helped me out over time.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:55 AM, I.Am.Ironman said:

If you have access to a weight vest or weight belt that will do wonders to improve pull up strength if you are plateauing with bodyweight

Edit: low trap and posterior delt exercises will supplement pull ups aswell. I'd also add single arm pull downs using the cable machine (half kneeling position). You open your grip to the front to mimic a pull up grip.

Thanks for the tips.

I noticed something yesterday when trying to push myself doing pull-ups. After working for a bit I got quite a weird pain in the muscle on the top of my left forearm. The brachioradialis? it was strange pain, not too much 'hurting' but just not right and no power in that position. I went on to finish all my other usual exercises with no real issue. 

I was a baseball pitcher for years as a kid and have always played drums. I also punch a lot. As a result, I have 'carrier; elbows, my arms don't sit close to my sides, they go out at the elbow. I wonder if this has something to do with the pain I got?  I had my grip fairly narrow, I'll go back in a few days and try a wider grip....hmmm, thanks for the new mystery bishops body!

43 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks for the tips.

I noticed something yesterday when trying to push myself doing pull-ups. After working for a bit I got quite a weird pain in the muscle on the top of my left forearm. The brachioradialis? it was strange pain, not too much 'hurting' but just not right and no power in that position. I went on to finish all my other usual exercises with no real issue. 

I was a baseball pitcher for years as a kid and have always played drums. I also punch a lot. As a result, I have 'carrier; elbows, my arms don't sit close to my sides, they go out at the elbow. I wonder if this has something to do with the pain I got?  I had my grip fairly narrow, I'll go back in a few days and try a wider grip....hmmm, thanks for the new mystery bishops body!

Having a narrow grip on a pull up bar can put your wrist in a compromising position and overload forearm muscles during pull ups, especially if your elbows flare outward. I am assuming you weren't using a neutral grip position when you say narrow grip. I'd try either widening the grip or using a neutral grip ensuring elbows are in line with wrists.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Having a narrow grip on a pull up bar can put your wrist in a compromising position and overload forearm muscles during pull ups, especially if your elbows flare outward. I am assuming you weren't using a neutral grip position when you say narrow grip. I'd try either widening the grip or using a neutral grip ensuring elbows are in line with wrists.

Thank you , I think this is exactly my issue. My grip is was close and narrow( shoulder width at most) , not neutral. I will try the wide grip on weds. I wish i'd asked before, had struggles for a while.

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank you , I think this is exactly my issue. My grip is was close and narrow( shoulder width at most) , not neutral. I will try the wide grip on weds. I wish i'd asked before, had struggles for a while.

Typically a neutral grip (palms face each other) is a better place to start before working your way toward wider grips. They are easier. If wide grip is your goal I would increase strength on neutral grip pull ups first, while using a lat pull down as an accessory exercise to practice wide grip.

• Thanks 1

Think I'm at the end of the road, lads. It must be a physical limitation, maybe due to getting older. At least when it comes to developing legs. I squat the same now as I did late summer - no gains made. A whole lot of effort and zero return. I never had this problem 5, 6, 7 years ago and had some of the strongest legs in the gym to boot. Back to basics: I've continually tried to increase weight, reps, change up routine with barbell squat, split squat, hack squat, leg press, and a combination of those. Such as last night: 10 sets total for squats with 5 barbell and 5 hack squat. I generally leave with soreness which doesn't go away until a couple days later so I know I'm killing it. My life in general is somewhat more sedentary than it was those years ago; my diet has changed a bit but I eat enough to maintain weight and that's it. I don't really bulk anymore.  The only saving grace at this point is incorporating a spot to help me squeeze out some extra reps, some extra weight. 

That, and I don't deadlift anymore. This certainly helped with my leg strength. I tweaked my back one evening a couple years ago pretty good trying to push it extra hard and that put me out of commission for about a  year where compression exercises as such were nearly impossible. Unlike Ronnie Coleman who is in a wheelchair now, I know when to call those things quits. 

11 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Think I'm at the end of the road, lads. It must be a physical limitation, maybe due to getting older. At least when it comes to developing legs. I squat the same now as I did late summer - no gains made. A whole lot of effort and zero return. I never had this problem 5, 6, 7 years ago and had some of the strongest legs in the gym to boot. Back to basics: I've continually tried to increase weight, reps, change up routine with barbell squat, split squat, hack squat, leg press, and a combination of those. Such as last night: 10 sets total for squats with 5 barbell and 5 hack squat. I generally leave with soreness which doesn't go away until a couple days later so I know I'm killing it. My life in general is somewhat more sedentary than it was those years ago; my diet has changed a bit but I eat enough to maintain weight and that's it. I don't really bulk anymore.  The only saving grace at this point is incorporating a spot to help me squeeze out some extra reps, some extra weight. 

I don't know if that means you are at the end of the road. It just means you may be taking a left onto a different street. I don't know your exact age, but lot of people do great things with fitness at advanced ages even though it may not be what they did at 25. I think it shows great awareness on your part to be aware of such biological/age limitations. Squatting or deadlifting 3 plates at 65 years old isn't necessary anyway. Ask yourself "how strong is strong enough". Joint health is key. That being said there are other ways you can train the hip hinge (deadlift) movement. Stiff leg deadlifts may be a good option for you to still strengthen that movement without the load of a traditional deadlift.

• Upvote 1

Squatting or deadlifting 3 plates at 65 years old isn't necessary anyway. Ask yourself "how strong is strong enough". Joint health is key.

Had this thought a while back. How often are you ever gonna need to pick 500 pounds up off the ground or squat 400+ pounds? Or even pick 300 pounds up off the ground a few timed? A 350 poundlift, while weak relative to the weightlifting community, still makes you stronger than most of the general population and plenty strong enough for day to day life. Certainly stronger, in terms of “real world” ability, than someone who can deadlift 500+ but constantly feels beat up and has creaky, sore joints. 

I want to be as strong as I can possibly be, but not at the expense of quality of life. I want to be able to hike or run with my dog, play with my future kids and their future kids too. Fitness is a much broader umbrella than simply lifting heavy, and it can be very subjective, but to me it should encompass some semblance of balance between the 7 realms of fitness that CrossFit goes by. I think they use 7.  That includes things like mobility/joint integrity. It’s important to keep that in mind, IMO. 

13 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That, and I don't deadlift anymore. This certainly helped with my leg strength. I tweaked my back one evening a couple years ago pretty good trying to push it extra hard and that put me out of commission for about a  year where compression exercises as such were nearly impossible. Unlike Ronnie Coleman who is in a wheelchair now, I know when to call those things quits. 

Ronnie Coleman is in a wheelchair now because of steroids 

I don't know if that means you are at the end of the road. It just means you may be taking a left onto a different street. I don't know your exact age, but lot of people do great things with fitness at advanced ages even though it may not be what they did at 25. I think it shows great awareness on your part to be aware of such biological/age limitations. Squatting or deadlifting 3 plates at 65 years old isn't necessary anyway. Ask yourself "how strong is strong enough". Joint health is key. That being said there are other ways you can train the hip hinge (deadlift) movement. Stiff leg deadlifts may be a good option for you to still strengthen that movement without the load of a traditional deadlift.

I turned 60 last year.....I have been lifting since I was 25.....even back then I was never into the whole macho how much I can lift thing. The benefits of strength training are enormous especially as you get older.  One guy at my gym is 73 and still does 450 pounds on the leg press....another is 83 and is there 5 days a week rain or shine.   I look at them and think...I can keep doing this also.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, riffraff said:

I think after 40 but certainly 60+ you should be focusing on your heart more than any other muscle.

lying in a casket in a tank top at 60 is kinda pointless after 40 years in the gym. 

Science has shown that strength training absolutely helps you as you get older.  There is a difference between keeping fit and trying to be a muscle head.  It helps for bone density and helps you from becoming frail as you age.

I don't think I've ever worn a tank top on my life.

39 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Science has shown that strength training absolutely helps you as you get older.  There is a difference between keeping fit and trying to be a muscle head.  It helps for bone density and helps you from becoming frail as you age.

I don't think I've ever worn a tank top on my life.

Sure.  All true.  Science also shows that the heart keeps you alive.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Sure.  All true.  Science also shows that the heart keeps you alive.

Science also says you should do both.  I am not sure how old you are but after 40 focusing mainly on your heart is not the answer..  Forty isn't even old.

Sorry this will be long...….

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinseatonjefferson/2018/10/15/do-you-even-lift-grandma-why-older-adults-should-be-making-gains-its-more-than-just-bro-science/#78c344ef6911

In his article, Rizzo outlines the benefits of weightlifting, backed by studies in each of the following categories, on:

• Obesity, fat loss and metabolic health
  • Preventing, slowing down or partially reversing age-related muscle loss/sarcopenia
  • Reducing risk factors for falls and improving functional independence
  • Quality of life
  • Cardiovascular health
  • Cognitive function
  • Mental health
  • Reducing mortality risk
  • Glycemic control and type 2 diabetes
  • Improving sleep
  • Age-related mitochondrial impairment
  • Recovering from surgery or illness

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/fitness/articles/2018-03-23/11-benefits-of-strength-training-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-muscle-size

2. Better cardiovascular health. Abdominal fat (also known as visceral fat) sits in and around the vital organs, including the heart. So, preventing or reducing any excess abdominal fat through strength training can certainly improve heart health.

However, studies suggest that strength training also directly impacts the heart. For example, 2013 research in the Journal of Applied Physiology demonstrates that young men who regularly strength train have better-functioning HDL, or good cholesterol, compared with those who never pump iron. Rebold explains that strength training improves blood pressure and triglyceride levels similarly to cardiovascular exercise, but it has even greater benefits on HDL. And 2015 research published in The Lancet medical journal shows that grip strength (a marker for total-body muscle health) more accurately predicts death from heart disease than blood pressure does.

3. Controlled blood sugar levels. "Resistance training is something we want anyone with Type 2 diabetes to incorporate into their routine," Rebold says. He explains that a 2013 review published in the journal BioMed Research International shows that, in addition to building muscle, strength training also improves the muscle's ability to take in and use glucose, or blood sugar.   

"In your muscle cells, you have these transporters that pick up glucose from the blood and deliver it to the muscle cells," Rebold says. "Strength training improves their functioning to pick up a lot more glucose from the blood and into muscle, thereby decreasing blood sugar levels."

https://www.9news.com/article/life/senior-source/use-it-or-lose-it-the-importance-of-strength-training-for-seniors/73-589500188

589500124_750x422.png

SENIOR-SOURCE

‘Use It or Lose It’: The Importance of Strength Training for Seniors

Author: Senior-Source
Published: 8:34 AM MDT August 31, 2018
Updated: 8:34 AM MDT August 31, 2018

Denver, CO — By Sandra Crews, Health Strategist, UnitedHealthcare of Colorado

When Patrick Mulqueen retired in 2011 at the age of 62, he found that his more relaxed schedule came with an unwelcome side effect that’s all too familiar to retirees: weight gain. No longer walking daily for his outdoor sales job, he began packing on the pounds.

“I fell into a common trap. I was no longer active and didn’t change my eating habits,” Mulqueen said.

Determined to fight back against the creeping numbers on the scale, Mulqueen found a lifeline by joining a fitness program tailored for seniors at the YMCA in his neighborhood, a benefit available through his UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage plan. Little did he know that the two-day-a-week program would lead to much more than a trimmer waistline.

With the help of a wellness instructor, he added a strength training program into his routine and became a regular in the weight room. Within two years, he shed 70 pounds, gained a great deal of muscle mass and cut down on his body fat, reversing the effects of age-related muscle loss.

This email will be delivered to your inbox once a day in the morning.
Submit

“Feeling strong just makes it a whole lot easier to get around in the world,” Mulqueen, now 70, said. “I 

“It’s so critical. Resistance training protects muscle mass and joint integrity while also helping maintain bone density,” said Cliff Edberg, national program manager for personal training and nutrition coaching at Life Time, a national chain of health and fitness centers. “There’s a strong correlation between muscle mass and longevity in older adults.”

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, strength training helps reduce the symptoms of many chronic diseases and conditions that commonly afflict older adults, including arthritis, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease, obesity and back pain. Studies show that strength training may also help reduce depression and boost confidence and self-esteem.

https://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/aging-1/misc-aging-news-10/seniors-and-weightlifting-never-too-late-647213.html

Should seniors lift weights?

The American College of Sports Medicine now recommends weight training for all people over 50, and even people well into their 90s can benefit. A group of nursing home residents ranging in age from 87 to 96 improved their muscle strength by almost 180 percent after just eight weeks of weightlifting, also known as strength training. Adding that much strength is almost like rolling back the clock. Even frail elderly people find their balance improves, their walking pace quickens, and stairs become less of a challenge.

Among these elders is Sara, 91, who had a lot of trouble walking after healing from a serious hip fracture. But after starting a weight-lifting program in which she practiced either leg presses or leg curls three times a week, she was able to walk a quarter of a mile without assistance and pedal a stationary bike.

"I feel better physically and mentally; I feel wonderful inside and out," Sara told the authors of the book Successful Aging (Dell, 1999). "I must go for that exercise three times a week, I must. You have to push yourself."

What are the benefits of weightlifting for seniors?

Improved walking ability. A University of Vermont study of healthy seniors ages 65 to 79 found that subjects could walk almost 40 percent farther without a rest after 12 weeks of weight training. Such endurance can come in handy for your next shopping trip, but there's an even better reason to pep up your gait. Among seniors, insufficient leg strength is a powerful predictor of future disabilities, including the inability to walk. An 89-year-old senior interviewed in Successful Aging said that after two years of weightlifting, "I walk straight instead of shuffling. It gives me lots of energy. My family can't believe it."

Ease in performing day-to-day tasks. By giving you the strength to handle your daily routines, weightlifting can help you maintain your independence. Researchers at the University of Alabama found that healthy women ages 60 to 77 who lifted weights three hours each week for 16 weeks could carry groceries and get up from a chair with much less effort than before.

Prevention of broken bones. Weightlifting can protect you from devastating fractures in several ways. For one, the exercises boost your strength, balance, and agility, making it less likely that you'll suffer a nasty fall. A study at Tufts University found that older women who lifted weights for a year improved their balance by 14 percent. (A control group composed of women who didn't lift weights suffered a 9 percent decline in balance in the same year.) Weight training can also build bone mass in the spine and the hip, so it's especially important for people with the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis.

Relief from arthritis pain. By strengthening the muscles, tendons, and ligaments around your joints, weightlifting can dramatically improve your range of motion. It can also cut down on pain by increasing the capability of muscles surrounding the afflicted joint, which eases stress on the joint itself. Arthritis sufferers should begin by using light weights and work up to heavier ones very gradually.

Weight loss. Lifting weights doesn't burn many calories, but it does rev up your metabolism. Overweight seniors who combine strength training with a healthy diet are almost certain to shed a few pounds.

Improved glucose control. If you are among the millions of Americans with Type 2 diabetes, strength training can help you keep it under control. In one study of Hispanic men and women with diabetes, 16 weeks of strength training provided dramatic improvements, comparable to taking medication. The study also showed that volunteers increased muscle strength, lost body fat, and gained more self-confidence.

Other benefits. Studies suggest weight training can help people sleep better and even ease mild to moderate depression.

How can I get started?

You should always check with your doctor before starting a new exercise program -- and when you do, expect your doctor to be thrilled with your decision. If you have hypertension, your doctor may want to run a few tests to make sure lifting weights won't cause a dangerous rise in your blood pressure. Fortunately, almost all people with high blood pressure can safely enjoy the benefits of strength training.

Once you get your doctor's go-ahead, you will choose your setting and your equipment. You can join a gym or a university exercise program that offers exercise machines, professional guidance, and lots of socializing, but you can also get an excellent workout at home using barbells, cans of food, or even plastic milk jugs filled with water or gravel. And get advice from a physical trainer before you begin: Instruction on proper technique is very important to help you enjoy the exercise without risking injury.

16 hours ago, riffraff said:

I think after 40 but certainly 60+ you should be focusing on your heart more than any other muscle.

lying in a casket in a tank top at 60 is kinda pointless after 40 years in the gym. 

I prefer shirtless..just not a fan of tank tops.

• Cheers 1

Been running at the gym, as well as stairs.   Ran 1.5 miles today, and been doing 24-48 flights of stairs 5x a week, and walking during Lunch, and whenever I have the opportunity.  

I would like to lose weight in my thighs.  That's where I gain, as well as my bottom.  I am in my 30's, and I have noticed even though I weighed the same in my 20's, I looked thinner in my 20's, but I am fitter now and more athletic. 

Edited by brilac
  • Upvote 1

Got back from 10 days in Mexico (didn't stay at a resort, stayed in towns to get an authentic experience and cuisine). Safe to say got no exercising done haha. Decided to take the rest of this week "off" as an extra reward since I figured for the next 5 months I'll be quite hard on myself diet wise.

Feel so bloated and like I gained 10 pounds while away. I know after the first 2 workouts are done I'll be back to feeling normal, but I'm already anticipating its going to be super hard on Monday to drive in the direction of the gym. 

As for training at 60+ years old, best way to train the heart is strength training. Increase the demand for blood and oxygen to the muscles = heart trains to become more efficient. Also will help you stay out of a wheelchair, off canes, and will keep the mind sharp. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Got back from 10 days in Mexico (didn't stay at a resort, stayed in towns to get an authentic experience and cuisine). Safe to say got no exercising done haha. Decided to take the rest of this week "off" as an extra reward since I figured for the next 5 months I'll be quite hard on myself diet wise.

Feel so bloated and like I gained 10 pounds while away. I know after the first 2 workouts are done I'll be back to feeling normal, but I'm already anticipating its going to be super hard on Monday to drive in the direction of the gym. 

As for training at 60+ years old, best way to train the heart is strength training. Increase the demand for blood and oxygen to the muscles = heart trains to become more efficient. Also will help you stay out of a wheelchair, off canes, and will keep the mind sharp. 

Actually strength training keeps you out of a wheelchair also.  All the science of course is out there as per the links I posted.