The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I don't mind wearing the mask when I work out.

It's like a bit of oxygen resistance, you can actually buy masks that simulate altitude training to restrict your breathing if wanted.  

My gym seems great, wiping everything, everyone in masks. I go first thing though, so I don't see many people.

I'm a workout addict again. 4 months of committing to 5 days a week and still building timber frame farm buildings for the rest of the day. I'm looking nice and jacked at 193lbs, Could still use some more ab development though but I don't care, not gonna stop putting the work in anyway. So the results will continue to come. 

• Like 1

Been throwing in pause squats to my routine, and my squat is going through the roof. Did a set of 5 at 265 lbs the other day, and it felt easy (although did take a few breaths between 4 and 5). For the first time in my life I feel like I might be able to chase that 2.5 bw squat. At 2x right now and growing.

This is the first time in a long time where I feel like I'm breaking through a plateau. Feels great.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Just below the knees

I would guess that you're lacking in hamstring/glute strength. Unable to extend the hips beyond that sticking point. Have you tried hammering on things like good mornings, GHR's, romanian deads, hip thrusts, etc? Paused deadlifts (pausing around that sticking point) would help too, possibly some speed work as well.

• Thanks 1

With gyms being closed here for the last month, been getting my workout done at home. I'll say this about Covid and businesses closing, I'm $500 away from buying a squat rack and finishing my home gym. Already have dumb bells, a bench, and a passable barbell for the time being. Bought a really good chinup bar a month ago, which has done wonders to my pull-up and chin up game. And for Christmas, my wife is getting me tricep dip bars. All I've got to do now is buy the rack sometime next summer/fall, get some finishing touches done in my garage, and I won't need a gym membership going forward.

You've done it, Covid, my awesome gym is losing my business :(

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I would guess that you're lacking in hamstring/glute strength. Unable to extend the hips beyond that sticking point. Have you tried hammering on things like good mornings, GHR's, romanian deads, hip thrusts, etc? Paused deadlifts (pausing around that sticking point) would help too, possibly some speed work as well.

Back extensions on top of theses.

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't mind wearing the mask when I work out.

It's like a bit of oxygen resistance, you can actually buy masks that simulate altitude training to restrict your breathing if wanted.  

My gym seems great, wiping everything, everyone in masks. I go first thing though, so I don't see many people.

I'm a workout addict again. 4 months of committing to 5 days a week and still building timber frame farm buildings for the rest of the day. I'm looking nice and jacked at 193lbs, Could still use some more ab development though but I don't care, not gonna stop putting the work in anyway. So the results will continue to come. 

Half face-masks are awesome but IDK if they would be good working out in. I reckon they'd help you sweat.

• Cheers 1

Gone from 268 to 242 since September from just eating less. I still look the same but that's what being 6'4'' with a big frame will do. I guess there's more muscular shape I see around my shoulder, arms, upper back and chest area but not much.

Always is harder to cut weight under 235 for me. Once I start working again I'll be gyming. I plan on getting really lean. IDK at what weight that will be but I reckon that's around 200-210lbs. I should probably try to check my bodyfat % somehow.

On 12/9/2020 at 5:01 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Gone from 268 to 242 since September from just eating less. I still look the same but that's what being 6'4'' with a big frame will do. I guess there's more muscular shape I see around my shoulder, arms, upper back and chest area but not much.

Always is harder to cut weight under 235 for me. Once I start working again I'll be gyming. I plan on getting really lean. IDK at what weight that will be but I reckon that's around 200-210lbs. I should probably try to check my bodyfat % somehow.

There's no reliable way to check body fat percentage, without paying an expert to do it. I'd focus more on things like are your lifts increasing? Is your belt getting looser? 

You will also always look the same to yourself. Weight loss happens too slowly for an individual to notice their own weight loss. 

On 12/9/2020 at 4:49 PM, Monty said:

With gyms being closed here for the last month, been getting my workout done at home. I'll say this about Covid and businesses closing, I'm $500 away from buying a squat rack and finishing my home gym. Already have dumb bells, a bench, and a passable barbell for the time being. Bought a really good chinup bar a month ago, which has done wonders to my pull-up and chin up game. And for Christmas, my wife is getting me tricep dip bars. All I've got to do now is buy the rack sometime next summer/fall, get some finishing touches done in my garage, and I won't need a gym membership going forward.

You've done it, Covid, my awesome gym is losing my business :(

You can buy a descent cage new for $410:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fitness-Reality-2810-810XLT-Super/dp/B01N4I8FOY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=power+cage&qid=1607489058&sr=8-2

If you want a more compact rack, you can get those for like $300.

I'd look around for something used. No reason to pay a lot of something like this. You might want to consider getting cables though, to complete the home gym experience:

https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/product/TO/prtp005lat/AmStaff-Fitness-TP032E-Power-Squat-Rack-with-LatPull-Down-Attachment?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5bz-BRD-ARIsABjT4ng9Jx1c8hH-xSPEgMX8YRH3ECMBjVnCvkQM2ObTyC9_Czw44JsZqykaAmcyEALw_wcB

Edited by taxi
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

@Monty have you looked at these racks that fold up against the wall? Sort of like a Murphy bed for squat racks. I imagine they’d be awesome for home gyms. No idea what they retail for though. 

I have, yeah. I haven't done a lot of research, mainly because I'm about 10 months away from getting one. I'll do more research the closer it gets. But I'm starting to get bothered. I re-upped my gym membership in October for another year, and now my gym has been closed since November 11th. Assuming it continues on through January, I'm going to get more and more against the idea of continuing on, especially because my gym (like a lot them) aren't extending memberships to makeup for lost time for members. Basically, I paid for a year, and I'll only get maybe 9 months of use out of it.

Can't support that going forward, and that's the trouble with shutting down every business, essentially targeting the low hanging fruit, when contact tracing has shown that less than 3% of Covid cases are tracked to gyms. Tons of businesses unnecessarily having to shut their doors, all because people refuse to socially distance and wear masks.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Monty said:

especially because my gym (like a lot them) aren't extending memberships to makeup for lost time for members. Basically, I paid for a year, and I'll only get maybe 9 months of use out of it.

Really? My gym put all membership dues on pause when they shut down in the spring. I believe they even reimbursed people who had paid for a year in whole already. You’re getting screwed. 

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Really? My gym put all membership dues on pause when they shut down in the spring. I believe they even reimbursed people who had paid for a year in whole already. You’re getting screwed. 

Yup. That's been par for the course in MB. I met with the owner of my gym when I re-upper and told her that, while I know this whole thing sucks and margins for gym owners are razor thin, I won't support this a second time, should gyms shut down again and I'm not reimbursed.

I love my gym and the people there, but f*ck that going forward. Gotta look after myself.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Yup. That's been par for the course in MB. I met with the owner of my gym when I re-upper and told her that, while I know this whole thing sucks and margins for gym owners are razor thin, I won't support this a second time, should gyms shut down again and I'm not reimbursed.

I love my gym and the people there, but f*ck that going forward. Gotta look after myself.

Yeah no kidding, that’s brutal. It’s nobody’s fault that the pandemic happened. Customers shouldn’t be left holding the bag. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...